CanJam SoCal 2021 Impressions Thread (September 25-26, 2021)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 28, 2021 at 10:37 PM Post #451 of 616
That's too bad. I was hoping Zach could enlighten us left coast folks.

We're working hard over here in the middle coast! But yeah I may not have been there in person but I promise when we are back at shows we will make it special and show the love! :):beerchug::L3000:

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Sep 28, 2021 at 11:17 PM Post #453 of 616
What a super cool representative spatial showdown! I love this idea, and would watch MANY hours of A/B with a setup recording from say, inside a HRC machine for same source and music swapping through different cans, then to good speakers!

although, if his recordings are accurate to his audible experience, I have no idea what the hell he is talking about on sound quality lol! It is super clear in that audio A/B/C on this end if the production that the Stealth are head and shoulders producing a cleaner, more impactful, more detailed account of the music than the speakers reverberating around the space or the cheap headphones sounding thin as all get out.
his favorite IEM... the ones he got from the Airline Stewardess... :wink:

Sep 28, 2021 at 11:19 PM Post #454 of 616
Did anyone try the LCD5 that has also heard the Ananda/Arya/HeK?

I ordered the LCD5 and am hoping the clarity is going to be comparable coming from HifiMan cans
I own Ananda,Arya, HE1000SE and I just upgraded the HE1000v1 to v2 (haven't received it yet). I did hear the LCD5, but it was in a noisy floor. I did not like at all what I heard. The tuning was bad to my ear. I would like to hear it again in a quiet room to do some critical listening.

Sep 28, 2021 at 11:19 PM Post #455 of 616
Wow, I've heard great things about ampsandsound but that ... color... is just... no. :sweat_smile:
Don't worry about color options. (Just my strange tastes.) The Black on Black Nautilus went home with a great guy. The orange and silver was built for show duty as it high visibility. In stock form they come black base with silver transformer covers.

Sep 28, 2021 at 11:25 PM Post #456 of 616
I own Ananda,Arya, HE1000SE and I just upgraded the HE1000v1 to v2 (haven't received it yet). I did hear the LCD5, but it was in a noisy floor. I did not like at all what I heard. The tuning was bad to my ear. I would like to hear it again in a quiet room to do some critical listening.
Very interesting.

I've always adored the Ananda tuning compared to headphones twice and thrice the cost but the soundstage isn't big enough. I've heard the hekv2 is similar to the Ananda though.

How was the clarity of the upper mids and highs and what genre did you listen to?

Sep 28, 2021 at 11:31 PM Post #457 of 616
Very interesting.

I've always adored the Ananda tuning compared to headphones twice and thrice the cost but the soundstage isn't big enough. I've heard the hekv2 is similar to the Ananda though.

How was the clarity of the upper mids and highs and what genre did you listen to?
I normally listen to modern pop. classical, jazz, classic rock and 80s music. But, it was too noisy for classical. So, the only thing I could hear well was modern pop. I was able to listen to my own music. So, that variable is eliminated.

I listened to the Susvara and Abyss 1266 phi tc on the same day I listened to the LCD5 and I did not have the same problem hearing those. So, I want to give the LCD-5 another shot before making a definitive judgment.

Sep 28, 2021 at 11:36 PM Post #458 of 616
I normally listen to modern pop. classical, jazz, classic rock and 80s music. But, it was too noisy for classical. So, the only thing I could hear well was modern pop. I was able to listen to my own music. So, that variable is eliminated.

I listened to the Susvara and Abyss 1266 phi tc on the same day I listened to the LCD5 and I did not have the same problem hearing those. So, I want to give the LCD-5 another shot before making a definitive judgme
Hmm well I'm assuming the Audeze booth was rather congested with background noise. I've been at points where I thought a driver or amplifier was failing only to notice a fan on in the background...

What was your take on the susvara and abyss?

I've been looking at the Susvara, LCD5 and abyss 1266.

I ordered the LCD5 and I'm sure I will love it, but if I can't stand it I'll look elsewhere.

The Susvara is a 4 year old headphone and the 1266 is sitting in somewhat of the same boat I believe so it's tough for me to pay full msrp for something not brand new.

Not sayings its a bad thing that the prices haven't dropped considering they will maintain their value in the future.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2021 at 11:58 PM Post #459 of 616
Hmm well I'm assuming the Audeze booth was rather congested with background noise. I've been at points where I thought a driver or amplifier was failing only to notice a fan on in the background...

I ordered the LCD5 and I'm sure I will love it, but if I can't stand it I'll look elsewhere.

The Susvara is a 4 year old headphone and the 1266 is sitting in somewhat of the same boat I believe so it's tough for me to pay full msrp for something not brand new.

Not sayings its a bad thing that the prices haven't dropped considering they will maintain their value in the future.
I heard the Sus on a Bakoon amp in the Headphones.com booth. I absolutely loved that headphone as a reference headphone. It has perfect balanced tonality for me. The Abyss is a bass monster. Needless to say since I am a bass head, I prefer the Abyss. I rank Abyss number 1 and Sus as number 2. LCD 5 was way lower in fact, I like my HE1000SE more than the LCD5. But as I said, I am not willing to keep that as my final judgment until I hear it in a quiet room with my demo music.

Sep 29, 2021 at 12:47 AM Post #460 of 616
Don't worry about color options. (Just my strange tastes.) The Black on Black Nautilus went home with a great guy. The orange and silver was built for show duty as it high visibility. In stock form they come black base with silver transformer covers.
Me love orange!!!

Sep 29, 2021 at 12:49 AM Post #461 of 616
@04gto and @blaked, really liked reading your impressions, and hearing about the new Head-Fi’ers (son and self, respectively). That fresh experience full of wonder is like a breath of fresh air for us that may have become too stuck in our ways or jaded with expectations.

Speaking of New Head-Fi-ers, I want to take the time to thank all the people that came to my Headphones 101 seminar! I took a few chances… I hope you all realized that I was making jokes when I started talking as fast as possible about frequency response curves and the headphone specs that inform you about amping requirements; it’s important to keep in mind most audiophiles/ lovers of audio participate for the sake of fun, not science. I definitely wanted to save time for Q&A, but… I think I still finished a bit faster than I meant too, and all of you were great to ask such pertinent questions along the direction YOU wanted to know more about! I had a lot of fun… I promise to keep sharing some education here and in video form.

I feel like I made new friends in Zeek, Nate, and all the other guys who graciously let me jump in on their lunch breaks or conversations in the isles. I learned a lot from you, and of course anyone is welcome to ask me and make use of the info I’ve gathered over the years.

Another special round of shout outs to @Sebastien Chiu, @Makiah S, and especially @Mad Lust Envy, it was great to finally meet you all in person, you’re all cool peeps in my book 📖 Mad especially… we’ve played video games for years, been like long distance brothers, fought like brothers, but still you managed to surprise me (again!) and it was such a treat to meet you in real life after *gulp* 12 years 🤣 I knew you would do a stellar job, and you absolutely earned all the shout outs you got for being a great rep!

Lastly, thanks so much to @warrenpchi, @joe @TSAVJason, and @TSAVWayne for helping me get to the show and helping me talk in a seminar. I love to teach, but I feel like I still have plenty to learn from you all, and I am humbled (if further possible, haha) by your generosity and assistance 👍

Photo dump!!
1EC41DBC-6B2F-446B-BBBA-B28F73EDB128.jpeg840675DF-D49B-4BDC-9F2C-B3DCC7DAC9AD.jpegA0265377-FD52-422C-81FE-BD44DDF75378.jpeg
BAFCF4CE-D36B-48F0-8F3F-3A0F834996B6.jpegA6113D24-1CE0-4970-8747-541310AFA2DC.jpeg4339A0D4-193F-4844-9602-188D83213D09.jpeg
ABC3C7EC-FEF9-44B4-97C2-47A99E0441E5.jpeg
1DB5CAE4-D9B2-409B-A2F2-0EEA4516362A.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2021 at 1:00 AM Post #462 of 616

I didn't get a chance to give a proper listen to 1266 at the show, but with Susvara, LCD5 and my own Utopia, I got the chance to kind of A/B test them. I had direct comparison between LCD5 and Utopia on the one system (Chord Qutest & BHA-1), and Susvara and Utopia on another system(Chord TT2 & GS-X MK2). So Utopia is my anchor point. This is all on show floor so take my opinion on things like details with a grain of salt.
  • Detail & imaging: Utopia and LCD5 are in the same league, but I may give LCD5 a little edge here since its sound has more body, which makes each individual sound a little more noticeable. On the other hand, the sound on Utopia is a bit thinner and with more texture. As for Susvara, I don't know if it's the imaging or details or other dark magic, but the vocals of Susvara felt FAR more life like than Utopia on the same system, by a mile. If I got a quiet room to A/B test them, I'm sure this will be super interesting.
  • Mids: LCD-5 is creamier and smoother, and Utopia is airier, if you may. The analogy I used in my impression is vocals on Utopia sounds like flute. I think a lot of people are going to prefer LCD5 over Utopia here, because I think LCD5's sound will be easier to enjoy. Utopia is more relaxed. Susvara is in a whole different league - it may be a middle ground of LCD5 and Utopia, but what makes it special is its incredible richness and sweetness. Probably not terribly accurate, so you may or may not like it.
  • Bass: Utopia and LCD5 felt pretty close here. Both had a lot of energy, slam. LCD may have a little more quantity but overall I don't think they're super different. Susvara, however, has way less punch than Utopia. I'm not sure if it's because Susvara is powered by GSX MK2, because I read elsewhere Susvara has a ton of bass if powered right. But GSX MK2 should be a pretty damn powerful amp.
  • Highs: Didn't really get to pay attention to this, so nothing to offer!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back