CanJam SoCal 2015 Impressions Thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 29, 2015 at 8:11 AM Post #106 of 955
  Meet impressions to be taken lightly since sessions were short.

1. The Yggdrasil at purrin's table did nothing for me, maybe my expectations were too high.
  2. n3rdlings Stax DAC >headamp aisteaus>009 was incredible.
  3. Hugo TT>HD800 was really smooth and very enjoyable.  Was great to speak with Rob Watts.  I may get a demo of the TT or wait for the big brother to be announced which will come at the Munich Show in May.

It was really nice to see people, some of whom who were around at the '09 LA CanJam.

That's really interesting. I will be reviewing the Hugo TT soon. I will end up buying it or the Schiit Yggy. 
In a perfect world i would get to review both side by side - but in reality there is a slim chance of that happening. 

Can you talk a bit about the differences between the 2? Did one have an advantage in terms of detail over the other? 
What was it about the YGGY that you didn't like?? 

Thanks 

Paddy

Mar 29, 2015 at 8:12 AM Post #107 of 955
too beat to write-up thus far
STILL LISTENING!!

nu Cavalli portable - BIG thumbs up
full-discrete
nice output options - balanced in/out - GR8 w/ my OPPO PM-3s, LCD-2 w/ Fazor, LCD-XC, & EL-8!
PLus my Momentums + Master&Dynamic MH40s1

LOVED MrSpeakers ETHER (then I remembered the old Audeze speakers were ETHER - its a GR8 name)
SO proud of Dan!
light - dynamic, leading transient attack was SUPERB

MAN
HUGELY surprised by the Music Hall De-Be cans! (though, said to them - why not just do "dB"???)
but reminded me of my beloved Senn HD 25-1 IIs! w/ my DHC cable

BLISS-OUT tonight at my boys place - private time w/ both nu Cavalli portables - 
the LIL' guy is SO dynamic (also fully-discrete) - soon-to-be-battery-powered

HMMMMM
as I said in my first article about the EL-8s
yeah
ALL BLACK
just do it!!

Mar 29, 2015 at 8:17 AM Post #108 of 955

That's really interesting. I will be reviewing the Hugo TT soon. I will end up buying it or the Schiit Yggy. 
In a perfect world i would get to review both side by side - but in reality there is a slim chance of that happening. 

Can you talk a bit about the differences between the 2? Did one have an advantage in terms of detail over the other? 
What was it about the YGGY that you didn't like?? 

Thanks 

Paddy

Paddy:

I'm sure you could work out somethin' w/ those guys to do a side-by-side!!

anyway

its ALL about system synergy, IHMO

The IGGY + Cavalli Audio LG up in Dan Clarks room sounded terrific to me

Mar 29, 2015 at 9:10 AM Post #110 of 955

Paddy:

I'm sure you could work out somethin' w/ those guys to do a side-by-side!!

anyway

its ALL about system synergy, IHMO

The IGGY + Cavalli Audio LG up in Dan Clarks room sounded terrific to me

Sweet - I suppose there is no harm in asking. The Yggy looks great there under that Cavalli = Beautiful aesthetics!   

What was your favorite sound of the show? 

Did you get to hear the HE1000? I would love to plug that thing into my WA5!!!

Mar 29, 2015 at 9:22 AM Post #111 of 955

Can I ask roughly how early in the day you heard the Yggy on purrin's table ? I know I'm being pedantic about this, but its interesting that others report being wowed by it on the Schiit table. If this is a DAC that genuinely needs 4-8 hours to start sounding good, I think people should be aware of that upfront. 

Wrong question. If you look at his profile, I'd say he's already at the top of the food chain.

Mar 29, 2015 at 9:33 AM Post #112 of 955

If I were doing it from scratch, I'd pick the Ether, because the HD800 are so darn picky when it comes to amps.  You get a lot more love and joy immediately from the Ether.  The HD800 can be a wild ride to find the right components to tame them.  Once you do, you've got a world class headphone, and a lot less money in your wallet.

With a Vali, Asgard, Valhalla, Lyr and Magni, and with a Rag on the way , I think I have the amp question under control. I'll probably try both the HD800s and the Ether eventually.

Mar 29, 2015 at 9:34 AM Post #113 of 955
They did get a LOT of exposure, and paired well with everything I listened to.  Very tempting.  For me it's the ETHER or the HD800s. Decisions, decisions. LOL

I like the 800 but they are too bright for my ears. Looking for a tamer 800-like can for a while, do you think that Ether might be the one? As in comparable detail, comfort and soundstage without the piercing highs?

@everyone else
Many thx for the impressions and the great pics. Looks like everyone is having a lot of fun ... wish we had something similar in the EU.

Mar 29, 2015 at 9:40 AM Post #114 of 955
The cavalli portable looks very nice.

Mar 29, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #115 of 955
I like the 800 but they are too bright for my ears. Looking for a tamer 800-like can for a while, do you think that Ether might be the one? As in comparable detail, comfort and sounstage without the piercing highs?

I really couldn't answer that as with my old ears my HF hearing is not what it use to be. I've never found a set of HP that were too bright for me. If I were on the fence I'd wait for more info on the Ether.  But personally I'll probably end up owning both pairs.

Mar 29, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #116 of 955
How does the A12 fair against Layla?
smily_headphones1.gif

I actually liked the A12's much better than the Angies or the Laylas.  More coherent sound top to bottom, IMO.  However, I ended up buying the A6's.  At a lower price I thought the A6's sounded close to the A12's and had a better midrange.  I was at the 1964 Ears booth when the Fedex envelope came in with the 6's.  Thanks Chuck from 1964 Ears.

By the way, I liked the JH 16's more than the 13's, but I still thought the offerings from 1964 were more to my taste.

Other impressions:

Hifiman HE-1000 was all that, but at the price point I'll stick with my HE-6.

Cavalli's Liquid Silicon is a great portable IEM amp.  I had trouble pinning down a release date.  The Liquid Carbon was great too.

Ether was good, but didn't stand out for me.

Liked the Oppo offerings.  The DAC and PM-3.  Did not hear the portable player.

Thanks to everyone who organized SoCal Can Jam.  It was a treat and it was fun watching folks swim in the Westin pool,  while back here in Atlanta, it's freezing.

Mar 29, 2015 at 10:09 AM Post #118 of 955
  Guys, I realise that a meet isn't the best place to get an accurate impression of a source, but so far we haven/t seen a single impression of the Yggy much less an attempt to compare it to the Hugo TT. If the experts are correct, our audio memory is 90 seconds at best - hasn't stopped many here comparing various new and shiny headphones to the HD800. I'd appreciate any feedback you can give us. 

I found the show setting to be an impossible situation in which to compare the Yggy to anything. I probably heard the Yggy / Rag combo with five different sets of HPs and with five different musical gendres. And, I spent no more then ten minutes total with the Yggy. It's just not possible for me to make any meaningful comparisons or give any impressions.

Mar 29, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #119 of 955
  I found the show setting to be an impossible situation in which to compare the Yggy to anything. I probably heard the Yggy / Rag combo with five different sets of HPs and with five different musical gendres. And, I spent no more then ten minutes total with the Yggy. It's just not possible for me to make any meaningful comparisons or give any impressions.

frown.gif

Mar 29, 2015 at 10:18 AM Post #120 of 955

I agree. Its amazingly poor environment t for trying to trade out minor differences in totl dacs. Especially when they're in different rooms with different amps and music and such.

Looking forward to putting the Dharma on again today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back