CanJam SoCal 2015 Impressions Thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 29, 2015 at 4:05 AM Post #91 of 955
RIVA's Turbo X is on demo in the Bolsa Chica room on the 3rd floor. Come meet the team and get the CanJam show special!

This to me, was the best surprise of Day 1 at CanJam 2015.

There are times when something totally unexpected blows you away. The Riva Turbo X is such a product. I definitely need to spend some quality time with it but initial impressions are simply that this little speaker ROCKS! I own a Soundmatter FoxL and FoxLO combo and the Riva Turbo X blows that combo out of the water. What is the Riva Turbo X? It's an awesome little blue tooth speaker that packs quite the punch at a price that may surprise you. BEST OF SHOW for me personally. More to come soon.

If you missed it, head on over to the third floor and look for the RIVA sign. You won't regret it.

Mar 29, 2015 at 4:05 AM Post #92 of 955
Jealous folk from Europe, I am 
tongue.gif

Are Chord products that exceptionnal ? I've had a coughing spell when seeing TT's price on Jude's video 
redface.gif

Ali

Mar 29, 2015 at 4:07 AM Post #93 of 955
  Meet impressions to be taken lightly since sessions were short.

1. The Yggdrasil at purrin's table did nothing for me, maybe my expectations were too high.
  2. n3rdlings Stax DAC >headamp aisteaus>009 was incredible.
  3. Hugo TT>HD800 was really smooth and very enjoyable.  Was great to speak with Rob Watts.  I may get a demo of the TT or wait for the big brother to be announced which will come at the Munich Show in May.

It was really nice to see people, some of whom who were around at the '09 LA CanJam.

Can I ask roughly how early in the day you heard the Yggy on purrin's table ? I know I'm being pedantic about this, but its interesting that others report being wowed by it on the Schiit table. If this is a DAC that genuinely needs 4-8 hours to start sounding good, I think people should be aware of that upfront. 

Mar 29, 2015 at 4:14 AM Post #94 of 955
Can I ask roughly how early in the day you heard the Yggy on purrin's table ? I know I'm being pedantic about this, but its interesting that others report being wowed by it on the Schiit table. If this is a DAC that genuinely needs 4-8 hours to start sounding good, I think people should be aware of that upfront. 

It Purrin or Mike Moffet are to be believed (and I tend to believe them simply due to their reputation and experience), Yggy needs at least 24-48 hours of warm up, and ideally, 4-7 days. I know kind of underwhelming and weird, but it is what it is.

Mar 29, 2015 at 4:15 AM Post #95 of 955
  Jealous folk from Europe, I am 
tongue.gif

Are Chord products that exceptionnal ? I've had a coughing spell when seeing TT's price on Jude's video 
redface.gif

Ali

Speaking only for myself, the Hugo TT is the best DAC I've ever heard.  Period.  That said, at an unofficial $5000 dollar price point, I'd upgrade my Wyred4Sound DAC 2 to DSD for 1/3 the price before dropping that kind of money on the TT.  Or buy Laylas and an HE-1000.  The Hugo TT (and the portable) are sensational, but I think better headphones or amps will result in a better upgrade, unfortunately.  

Mar 29, 2015 at 4:45 AM Post #96 of 955
Lastly, most people at Canjam today listen to (to me at least) ear-splitting volume level.

I think that's the case for most Head-Fiers at meets, and where powerful amplifiers reign justice. XD

I usually listen to my STAX setup with the volume knob at the 11 o-clock position at maximum. Letting other people use my rig, I often see the volume knob left at the 2, 3, or 4 o-clock positions, which is probably where that amplifier starts to fall short in terms of sound quality and I would never ever dream to use the volume knob that high for fear of hearing damage.

Mar 29, 2015 at 4:55 AM Post #97 of 955
My impression is that fully open headphones cause too much sound leakage compared with the more controlled-environ. of more closed ones. It looks like the AKG K7XX is only a limited edition that's hard to  find, but the newer version of the AKG K701 also uses the same driver.

I was also impressed with the Stax Lambda series and the Thinksound ON1 (rare for a good on-ear can) which was actually lent to me by another user casually and not even on display. I  didn't get his name but he may be back on Sunday too.

Greetings decentlylevi! It was I who lent you the On1's at the show.......nice little warm yet detailed enough portable with an engaging sound. I'm glad you liked them. Ironically, one of the other favorite headphones that was in my bag was the K7XX. It's a terrific phone and a ridiculous bargain for the sq. Wish I could make it tomorrow but may not be in the cards. Look forward to any more impressions you have if you return as we seem to have very similar taste in phones. Cheers! :beerchug:

Mar 29, 2015 at 5:11 AM Post #98 of 955
nhlducks35 must have been right ahead of me at every table lol! ---
Anyways, here's the impressions:
1. The parking was super-easy and FREE! Just park over at South Coast Plaza. If you're near SEARS/Forever 21, simply take the bridge across the street, head right towards the entrace of the hotel, enter, left, and right to go up the elevators. Just like last year, you can also park at South Coast next to the street (Bristol), and simply cross at the lights as well.
2. The check-in table was right in front of the hallway, so can't miss it. That said, it wasn't clear which side of the table to start from for check-in. Not a lot of pens, like one staffer said, so he had to loan out his own to let everyone write their info on the contest form. Do bring in free pens and drop them off if you're coming in Sunday to help out (my opinion). Check-in, printing of badges, and getting the lanyard was super-fast - under a minute. No need to worry about long lines here. Just enter your name on the tablet, press one button, badge prints. Thank the friendly staff, too =)
3. Path for those that don't need to sit at the presentations and merely want to see equipment (my opinion):
Head to check-in table. Turn left, see both rooms to either side. Return to table, face check-in table, turn right, see everything there, leaving Cavalli last. Return to table, turn the other way, walk out the doors and head to the tent on your left. Tent is very comfortable and setup nicely to move people along. See everything. Return to elevators, head to 3rd floor, see everything there. Go home.
4. Expect to spend AT LEAST 4 HOURS if you want to visit every booth and try the major items briefly (a few dozen seconds to a few minutes).
Expect NOT to see much if you're coming after 3PM SUNDAY because you won't have enough time. There was someone commenting on how they just came within an hour of closing Saturday, and I was thinking, waste of money...
If you're new to all this, expect to spend 6+ hours going from table to table, learning and talking, etc. if you really want to enjoy the trip.
5. 1st room I went to, packed... but not like last year. Last year was only one floor, no tent, so it got CROWDED. This year, walking space and ability to move about without a traffic jam at all times. Never had to wait longer than 5 minutes to try out anything, so this was very good.
6. Peeps!! This is a public event and can be covered by the press, etc. If you're playing hookie from work like one person was and ddn't want photos showing you where you shouldn't be, don't come! As part of the community, I'll take down photos as requested, but news agencies, etc.have absolutely no reason to - if you showed up in public at an event, photo gets taken by a news reporter and published in the newspaper, sorry. Your job on the line.
This also reflects upon something called 'morals' - why are you playing hookie? Why is the job, which is paying you $$, not a priority? And why are we lying to the boss - not just you, but now you and me? This the right thing to teach your kids, too? Lie to come to CanJam, then tell someone else to help you lie... Reminds me why I don't hire young people nowadays...
7. Top Picks:
Audieze LCDs, Cavalli Tube Amps, Fong virtual room software, Nighthawks, ALO pocket tube and JDS pocket amps, Pendulumic bluetooth headphones, Red Audio Technica headphones (mostly just for the color), and oddly, a standard, high-end Sennheiser like the 650s. --------------------------------------------------------------
Visits of the booths
--------------------------------------------------------------
* OPPO - Interesting design, nice headband texture, headphones didn't feel 'special' to me because of the padding and ear fit - materials felt 'tough'. Leather wrapped pocket amp was interesting for the design, but I didn't fall heavily in love with these.
* AURALIC - Yes, Audieze makes anything sound good, but today, coupled with the Auralic Taurus, there was something warm and special about this setup. Definitely something inside these boxes that make the music sound nicer than it should, so worth checking out, IMO.

^o^ One of my Take-Me-Home picks
* FONG - He's back! In 3D, 5.1, 7.1, etc!! Like last year, but better!, Fong's virtualization software is always a TREAT to listen to. You think you've got a nice stereo setup.. until you drop in his software and suddenly, a whole new world expands right in front of your face! Action movies ROCK using his software!! Handful of nice headphones to try out with the software as well. Definitely worth considering the $75 show price special!

Another one of my Take-Me-Home picks
* HiFiMan - Baby tube amps, cute, tried them on for a moment. A touch of warmth, something here worth listening to.
* SCHIT - Like last year, amps from tiny tubes to big ones. Something here for everyone and worth listening to for the experience of seeing what $ to $$$ will do to sound.
* WyWires - Headphone cables to help improve the sound. Only wish they had A/B listening pairs setup... and, the background noise level is high enough that it may be impossible to determine if you can hear a difference... Interesting concept, spend money on the nice pair of headphones first, then worry about the cables. This year, they're joined by other companies that have 'better cables'.
* final - Prettiest In-ear earphones I've seen in a long time. Real metals, some with expensive casting technology applied, and a big range of in-ears to try out. Torn over these - pretty, but due to the high background noise levels, hard to figure out if they're worth it for the audio quality. Mika Nakashima songs were warm, but seemed to lack that touch of something - but this was with the sound on my player turned up 3/4s just to be able to hear over the talk around me. Come early to try them out, and a fantastic idea for a present due to their unique designs.
* Adel/1964 Ears - Didn't stop by this booth. Just happened to be stuck waiting, custom in-ears don't excite me, so moved on.
* Nighthawk - Wowa. Not a Wow! like I first felt with the LCD-X, but there's a prettiness to the music and rendition that allows me to sit and simply enjoy a few tracks without worrying or thinking about anything else. New model, new technology, worth listing to for sure.

One of my Take-Me-Home picks ^o^
* Sennheiser - Urbanite headphones feel tough on the ears due to the clamping pressure and rough fabric, but twist and turn the headband any which way and they withstand abuse better than anything else I've encountered. Great for those that sit on their headphones. That said, 650's sound much better, IMO, than these.

650s and such are Take-Me-Home picks - solid choices, warm.
* Audieze - skipped right past. Already know I need $1600+ for the LCDs - amazing, drop dead sexy headphones, but realistically, that means the Cavalli amp, new daq, etc., so I'm not likely to truely enjoy them, IMO, without at least $8000 worth of gear, so I'll put that on my backburner.

Definitely Take-Me-Home! Please!! Since everything else pales in comparison.
* Focal - Tried the headphones, meh, moving on.
* Questyle - Ooh, an A&K competitor, BUT... still in beta. Seems to have a nice sound, but got a dropout in the middle of listening and they're not out yet. Watch some of the sharp edges around the dial - should be beveled or smoothed out, IMO.
* agrave/ograve (sp?) - Headphones were unique for their wood covers, but the headphone + their amp felt brittle. Need more breaking in? Or simply the sound signature?
* Hugo - Neat blue circle light, but nothing caught me ear's attention.
* Grace - ooh, wait a moment here. Yes, it's not tubes, but there's something warm and fuzzy in these boxes. Worth a listen and definitely worth checking out to hear something new this year. I definitely enjoyed listening to these even though they're not mind-blowing.
* Kern - mostly same as last year, but the big black box. Hmmm.... definitely a statement to be made. Solid devices across the board, up to you whether you like the hard, angular feel of their players. Worth checking out given the quality of the audio, but sad that they ONLY store up to 384GB of audio in the AK240 - would prefer 1TB =P
* Members room area - Slew of gear in one room this year. Worth coming to see the custom designs, listen to various headphones, and jump back in time to the LP/AM days based on how ancient some of the gear is. Favorite was the double-big tube amp in the far, back corner - nice handwarmer, too. 2nd as the old FM receiver on the table right across the tubes - ah, the days growing up as a kid...
* Cavalli - Just sit down with anything with tubes connected to LCDs and go WOWOWOOWOW! Then start saving up $$$$ for all the parts you'll need. Still the 'ultimate', IMO, and definitely worth stopping by. The new portable/smaller amps this year were also out for testing. IMO, it's mostly the headphones that make the biggest difference - LCDs vs Sony ZX110, like going from 100% uncompressed audio down to 192Khz MP3.
What I did notice however was a) the huge jump in quality when the LCDs are plugged into the Cavalli tube amps vs the portables (naturally) and b) how nice the ZX110 performed when the pocket amps were plugged into a portable audio source and A/B'd with the LCDs (ie. you're not starting off with HD audio, but with what there is and the lack of $$$$ and electronics in the portable Cavallis, you're not able to get OMG out of the LCDs, so they come down to the ZX110 level (or one could say the ZX110 comes up to the LCD level due to the Cavalli portable amp). No way to say for sure,but it's 100% LCD vs 90% ZX110 for a consumer rating plugged into the portable amps, IMO. Details get wiped out with the ZX110, much like going from WAV to 192 Mbps MP3, but both are quite nice, still (for a basic consumer).
* Wells Audio - range of headphones, etc. to listen to from this company, but similar to Enigma, nothing I was personally excited by during listening tests.
* Abyss - Liked these last year for their quaint design, still like them this year. Head heavy design, need to see if they fit you properly. Worth a listen, but I'd still pick LCDs any day.
* SpinFit - Distributor of various items including better fitting eartips, not excited at in-ears, moving on.
* Layla/Siren - In-ears, moving on.
* ifi - Cutest stacked components of the show, sound didn't excite.
* Kingsound - same here, sound didn't excite.
* Covalent - Grados. Hmmm, didn't I remember seeing more Grados, Koss, etc. (ie. affordable) headphones last year? I'm sure I did. This year's more about higher-end gear for sure. Even vendors like Sennheiser brought in a slew of cheap to expensive headphones for display last year, but this year is mostly about their beefier gear. Grados are worth listening to for sure. How much is due to the Covalent vs Grados? Don't know, but it's a nice combo.
* Centrance - didn't try, busy.
* Musica - foreign distributer. Lots of things to try out to see if you like something that isn't mainstream.
* ALO Audio - ooh, now that's a nice pocket tube amp!!! Nice pocket warmer, too. Must try. Like, Like!

One of my Take-Me-Homes!
* Rossi - Now that's a serious use of CAPACITORS!!! and a very nice modular design. Fun to listen to, enjoyable sound, worth a try!
* Sony - Just me, or their combo of HD player + HD headphones sound a bit 'crisp and analytical'? Audio T's are similar, but even the red AT's on display nearby sound slightly 'warmer' and more appealing. Moving on.
* EchoBox - In-ears, moving on. Portable amp shaped like a flask, interesting. Definitely worth a listen, though like he noted, beta and not out yet. Still prone to crashes, lol.
* Aurender - Cast-Fi7 is an interesting box - video screen and speaker. Must try it out and have a look. Unusual and unique, can be a nice present.
* JDS labs - ooh, now that's a nice portable amp! Something about their design that makes things come to life. Worth a listen!

One of my Take-Me-Home products, and pickup their free 3.5mm to 3.5mm short cable.
* Atomic Floyd - In-ears, moving on.
* lhlabs - Didn't see anything interesting, moving on.
* Noble Audio - tried these last year, in-ears, moving on. * Apogee One - Worth a look, unique design and dial. Nothing I'd scream about.
* Philips - Hmm, strong brand, but can't tell what's so special about their latest. Not warm, not harsh, not amazing. A normal pair of phones that don't seem to excite me unlike the LCDs or Nighthawk's.
* SoundBlaster - uh, we know - it's a soundcard among tons of recording/mastering quality, Pro Tools level sound cards out. If you have the time, worth a try, but don't expect a miracle since PCs have been doing 192Khz for years with pro level cards and software.
* Red Audio-Technica phones - not a store, just the Japanese-only headphones. Really nice color, comfy, crisp as all AT headphones sound like. Better than the HD Sony headphone here as well, IMO, but not as smooth as the LCD/Nighthawks. Up to you - for me, my ZX110's sound 'warmer' and more 'lively'.
* Ultimate Ears - In ears, tried them again, very good sound isolation, naturally, but not my type, esp. to spend $$$ on.They were doing custom fittings as well on site, so you can get them done at the show if you're willing. These are worth considering due to their nice sound.
* Pendulumic - Must buy as presents!! =D Only bluetooth headphone I've come across happy. Also, the softest, nicest earpads for an eyeglass wearer at this con. Smart volume, control knob, feels great, indents and push. My pick for something new this year. Fit is comfy, sound is great, feels like one can wear for hours, and a nice Xmas present idea.

Add to my Take-Me-Home picks.
* RHA - in-ears, moving on.
* Burson Audio - Nothing special to my ears, but a nice visual treat for the white glow.
* Vero - special cables for headphones. Something is different, but can't pin it down. Just sounds different. Probably needs more A/B in a quiet room for an hour to figure out exactly what's going on here - the physics in their handout seems to make sense, but not sure how much of a difference one can hear.
* Blue - One of the most unique headphone designs around, esp. how the arm articulates to adjust. But very heavy on my head and started hurting after a few minutes. Just hard when you're wearing headphones with solid metal, heavy arms and an integrated amp.
* Riva - Bluetooth speakers. Nice, not great. Can't say they're better than the other brands on the market, but definitely pushing it to say these mini-speakers are anything but good to very good. First thing I thought was a Bose Wave system would sound better, IMO..
* Ether - nice, but not better than LCD or Nighthawk.

Mar 29, 2015 at 5:20 AM Post #99 of 955
Fun day today. Volunteered to help out in the morning till around 1 then explored the event afterwards. Round 4:30 I went back to the front table to help people find vendors till the end of the day or just in general help out.

Afterwards a decent size group of ours took a trip to TGI Fridays mostly following Tyll after day 1 ended. Took forever but had a blast hanging out.

A little bit of a slip up today and we forgot to set up the for sale board anywhere for people to list gear they wanted to buy/sell. Talked to Warren about it and should be set up for day 2.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Mar 29, 2015 at 5:41 AM Post #100 of 955
Yeah, the new JH models were silly good. Also, the A series from 1964 Audio had me reaching for my credit card, until sanity prevailed.

How does the A12 fair against Layla? :)

Mar 29, 2015 at 5:49 AM Post #101 of 955
@adorable, thanks for the impressions and I 100% agree about people not fronting up to their paying gigs because they were too lazy to put in a leave application months ago. I guess it's generational - i used to work with a bunch of Gen Y's, several of whom would mysteriously get the flu the day a new release of Skyrim or whatever hit the servers. I get that this hobby is all-consuming, but it's still poor form esp at a time when many are doing it tough. If you've got the kind of boss who wouldnt have granted you leave anyway, chances are he's the kind of boss who will call you into his office for a chat the next time you rock up to work. None of us would want to work weekends, but if that's the gig then that's the gig. 

Mar 29, 2015 at 7:30 AM Post #103 of 955
Top 3 sounds for me: HD800 and Cavalli Liquid Glass, Mr Speakers Ether and Aurelac, Audeze LCD3 and Hugo TT. HE-1000 was very nice, but when I played music I was more fond of it wasn't as good as when playing "reference recordings"

Aurelac ??

Mar 29, 2015 at 7:56 AM Post #104 of 955

ALO brought their brand new Continental 2.  It's a DAC/ Tube amp portable, on the high side of the spectrum for a portable at $1500 ish, but still less than the Chord.  Not an overwhelming amount of power, but what's there is gorgeous.

Wooa. What a beauty. Time to sell of my National and Continental V3.

Mar 29, 2015 at 8:02 AM Post #105 of 955
Lastly, most people at Canjam today listen to (to me at least) ear-splitting volume level.

Yeah...about that...  I've been in the habit of listening to music too loud since I was a little kid.  I'm trying to break it, but it's really hard.  I can't lose myself in music at low volumes.

My first decent over-ears were some HD 700's that I got at a good price, and on the first day of using them, I bottomed them out and freaked out and jumped for my volume control.  I was used to my in-ears (SE535's partially blown out; go figure), which can get much louder, so I guess this is a decent way of getting me to start cutting back on volume.  It seems like I've been getting a bit quieter lately (with headphones at least; I still blast my speakers, which are my preferred way to listen to music), as I don't often bottom out my headphones anymore.  My hearing is still quite good, but I'd rather not mess it up...  I've at least started bringing ear protection to concerts, even if I don't always use it (several of my close friends play in bands, so on top of regular concerts, I'm frequently at local gigs as well).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back