CanJam@RMAF 2011 Listening Impressions Thread
Oct 18, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #421 of 678
The Mullard ECC35s are very nice sounding tubes.

Oct 18, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #422 of 678
speaking of Super 7, did Craig already decided on Super 7 price point?

Oct 18, 2011 at 2:20 PM Post #424 of 678
I admit, I never gave any thought to going to CANJAM but it sounds like it would have been a great trip.  I don't know if it is even possible to recognize any of the head-fi-ers walking around but that would have made the trip worth it too.

Oct 18, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #425 of 678
I finally completed typing up my notes and commenting on each rig. I made a new thread since it was so long so as to not be bothersome in this one.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/576282/take-a-virtual-tour-of-canjam-rmaf-2011-the-notes-of-my-impressions-of-nearly-every-combination-present-very-long#post_7829493

Great work Maxvla! Thanks

Oct 18, 2011 at 2:44 PM Post #426 of 678

Quote:

It's likely Bowers & Wilkins was not being pompous in changing the name, but, rather, avoiding the confusion when saying "B&W," which sounds a lot like "BMW."  And the P5 is a good headphone, in my opinion, and, as a whole package, worth the price.

Also, some great gear is made in China.  That said, the Sennheiser HD 800 is hand-assembled in Germany.  The Audeze headphones are, to the best of my knowledge, made in the U.S.A.

The fact that there are extremely expensive flagship supercars out in the world doesn't change the fact that there are great car values to be had at much lower prices.  The fact that there exists a Ferrari 458 Italia doesn't mean I have to buy it (even though I think it's a beautiful car, and I love Ferraris).  I drive a Honda Fit (called the Honda Jazz in other parts of the world), and love it.

Decide what you're willing to (and/or can afford to) spend on a headphone (or anything else you're shopping for, for that matter), and choose the best for your needs at or below that price.  I may not be willing to spend over $200,000 on a car, no matter how well it performs, but I am willing to spend $1945 for a headphone that performs like the Audeze LCD-3.

I want companies like Audeze and the other headphone manufacturers to keep trying to advance the state of the art.  When it comes to dynamic headphones, the LCD-3, in my opinion, does that--and it's certainly not just bling.

Now let's get this thread back on topic.  (And I'll post more impressions later.)

That's a great validation of the LCD-3 at $1945. I guess I should give up considering the LCD-2 and just go for the LCD-3. But at that price point need to listen to one before I commit.

Oct 18, 2011 at 2:58 PM Post #427 of 678
I admit, I never gave any thought to going to CANJAM but it sounds like it would have been a great trip.  I don't know if it is even possible to recognize any of the head-fi-ers walking around but that would have made the trip worth it too.

We all had name tags on a lanyard, but I noticed most people did not put their Head-fi username on it like I did. Found that a little annoying since I briefly met so many people that I would recognize their Head-fi name, but not their real name. Sure I asked a few people what their usernames were, but it's just easier to see it and strike up the conversation based on already knowing the person via his posts.

Oct 18, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #430 of 678

Quote:
We all had name tags on a lanyard, but I noticed most people did not put their Head-fi username on it like I did. Found that a little annoying since I briefly met so many people that I would recognize their Head-fi name, but not their real name. Sure I asked a few people what their usernames were, but it's just easier to see it and strike up the conversation based on already knowing the person via his posts.

I also had my head-fi user name on my nametag...and still only managed to meet a few head-fiers that I didn't already know from other meets, which was a pity.  But I did get so meet a few, which was cool, and spent some fun time both on the floor and having a drink or two with several others.

Oct 18, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #431 of 678

Quote:
The fact that there are extremely expensive flagship supercars out in the world doesn't change the fact that there are great car values to be had at much lower prices.  The fact that there exists a Ferrari 458 Italia doesn't mean I have to buy it (even though I think it's a beautiful car, and I love Ferraris).  I drive a Honda Fit (called the Honda Jazz in other parts of the world), and love it.

Decide what you're willing to (and/or can afford to) spend on a headphone (or anything else you're shopping for, for that matter), and choose the best for your needs at or below that price.  I may not be willing to spend over $200,000 on a car, no matter how well it performs, but I am willing to spend $1945 for a headphone that performs like the Audeze LCD-3.

This is exactly the analogy that I thought of when reading these posts.  My dad has an old Miata with a completely redone suspension, exhaust, cpu, and a bit of engine work/tuning done to it as well.  This thing handles like nobody's business and has a fair bit of power too.  Gobs of fun to drive and can probably be had for less than an apex pinnacle.  

Oct 18, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #432 of 678
Just wanted to let you guys know I'll post a whole bunch of pictures later tonight.  I didn't have a chance to do it yesterday, but it'll happen tonight for sure.  Used a crappy point-and-shoot, so they'll be nowhere near the quality of vplvinylspinner's pictures, but nonetheless, they'll be up in several hours.

Oct 18, 2011 at 3:46 PM Post #433 of 678
Does anyone know if the Eddie Current 2A3 used high-frequency AC heaters such as are in the Balancing Act?

Thanks!

Quote:
Are we talking about the amp positions at RMAF? If so there was only one EC 2a3 in the room and it was on the far right of the Audeze table.

Oct 18, 2011 at 4:37 PM Post #434 of 678

Quote:
Does anyone know if the Eddie Current 2A3 used high-frequency AC heaters such as are in the Balancing Act?

Thanks! 

No,  The heaters have DC voltage in the 2A3 amp.

Oct 18, 2011 at 4:39 PM Post #435 of 678

Quote:

I drive a Honda Fit

Yeah, gotta be careful to say "drive a Fit". Probably not as good to say "have a Fit."
Thanks to you & JPnums for an awesome show. We had a great time and really appreciated everyone's enthusiasm about our being there. It was kinda full circle for us - at the first RMAF I'm pretty sure we had the only room dedicated to headphones and headphone amps. Nice to see how things have grown.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back