CanJam NYC 2024 (March 9-10, 2024)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 1, 2024 at 11:07 PM Post #136 of 726
Jan 2, 2024 at 12:43 PM Post #137 of 726
When it comes out of New Yorks oldest coal oven! Lombardis!

Screenshot_20240102_094229_Yelp.jpg

Jan 2, 2024 at 5:48 PM Post #138 of 726
Just purchased tickets, but never been to a canjam before. What are things that people normally bring?
There is literally a video on youtube of a guy showing up with his Holo May in tow to test with various amplifiers. lol Bring whatever you want to play with - you are among similar-minded geeks, no one will judge. :wink: That said, the only thing you really need to bring is your own iem eartips....and a dongle dac for listening on your own phone/dap is a good idea, too.

Jan 2, 2024 at 6:10 PM Post #139 of 726
I would have to disagree with you there. Joe's pizza is great. There are others as well. It may not be your favorite, but it is fantastic. I used to commute by New Jersey Transit into the City for Grad school. So, I know good pizza. I used to get a slice and a coke for $99 in Penn Station.
That's some pizza and coke for $99??? :ksc75smile:

Jan 2, 2024 at 6:20 PM Post #140 of 726
Here are a few tips for new CanJam attendees:

1. Bring snacks so you don't have to run out for lunch, have a big breakfast. But there are great places close by the Marriott for a quick bite.
2. Have a list of gear you want to demo and something to take notes with. But make it a realistic list in terms of the amount of gear.
3. Bring a music source (e.g DAP or iPhone) with music you know well so that you get a feel of how the gear you're demo'ing sounds. One bad thing about most hotels is the wi-fi sucks in the conference / ballroom areas. Also, depending on the location, cell reception can be challenging. Due to this, please don't expect vendors to have any song you can imagine available.
4. Bring a backpack to carry any gear, snacks, etc. Really useful if you’re not staying at the show hotel. If staying at the hotel where the show is, a smaller bag may be useful, I use a small camera bag to hold my audio gear, water bottle and some snacks. But it's much easier to jet up to my room for a quick snack / beverage when staying at the hotel.
5. After demo'ing gear be considerate and turn the volume down and place gear back where the vendor had it or coil the cables back, etc. Be cognizant of other attendees waiting in line to demo the same gear. Also, don't disconnect or connect gear / sources without asking the vendor. Pay attention to any signs about the types of headphones to connect to amps. @zach915m and the ZMF team do a great job with signs about what amps can have planars or what level of impedance for headphones.
6. During CanJam, keep an eye on this forum and the impressions thread as some vendors will have additional listening opportunities on Friday night or Sat night.
7. Don't spend all your time listening to gear. Engage with the vendors and other attendees. Everyone there is interested in audio gear and more than happy to chat about it. Plus, this will give your ears time to rest - listening all day is fatiguing, especially if it’s critical listening, which will also fatigue your brain.
8. Check out the seminars, they're a great way to learn more about the hobby.
9. Have fun!!
10. Make plans to attend more CanJams as you will get hooked! :o2smile:

Here's a link to a Head-Fi video on CanJam attendee tips:

See you in New York - only 67 days to go

:beerchug:

Jan 2, 2024 at 6:25 PM Post #141 of 726

1. Bring snacks so you don't have to run out for lunch, have a big breakfast. But there are great places close by the Marriott for a quick bite.
2. Have a list of gear you want to demo and something to take notes with. But make it a realistic list in terms of the amount of gear.
3. Bring a music source (e.g DAP or iPhone) with music you know well so that you get a feel of how the gear you're demo'ing sounds. One bad thing about most hotels is the wi-fi sucks in the conference / ballroom areas. Also, depending on the location, cell reception can be challenging. Due to this, please don't expect vendors to have any song you can imagine available.
4. Bring a backpack to carry any gear, snacks, etc. Really useful if you’re not staying at the show hotel. If staying at the hotel where the show is, a smaller bag may be useful, I use a small camera bag to hold my audio gear, water bottle and some snacks. But it's much easier to jet up to my room for a quick snack / beverage when staying at the hotel.
5. After demo'ing gear be considerate and turn the volume down and place gear back where the vendor had it or coil the cables back, etc. Be cognizant of other attendees waiting in line to demo the same gear. Also, don't disconnect or connect gear / sources without asking the vendor. Pay attention to any signs about the types of headphones to connect to amps. @zach915m and the ZMF team do a great job with signs about what amps can have planars or what level of impedance for headphones.
6. During CanJam, keep an eye on this forum and the impressions thread as some vendors will have additional listening opportunities on Friday night or Sat night.
7. Don't spend all your time listening to gear. Engage with the vendors and other attendees. Everyone there is interested in audio gear and more than happy to chat about it. Plus, this will give your ears time to rest - listening all day is fatiguing, especially if it’s critical listening, which will also fatigue your brain.
9. Have fun!!

Good tips. Also, load up a few 'test tracks' on your phone/dap or at least in your mind to search for on the sources provided (though wifi can be spotty, so it's a good idea to have some stuff pre-loaded to your own device) to help you make qualified judgements of the gear on show. If you are constantly switching music it's impossible to get a sense for the gear you are listening to - much better to pick a couple of solid test tracks and stick to those throughout the day. It can get repetitive, but it gives you a solid point of reference for what one device does vs another.

That's some pizza and coke for $99??? :ksc75smile:
Well, $99 + tax. This is NYC after all. :wink:

Jan 2, 2024 at 7:52 PM Post #142 of 726

9. Have fun!!

Excellent list

Some of the stuff in my backpack:
  • 1-2 Heapdphones + 1-2 IEMs (depending on my plans for the show, I bring either my references for compairson, or whatever I want to test amps with, or share with friends, etc.)
  • To test amps - bring 4.4 to dual XLR and 3.5 to dual RCA cables, so you can conenct your DAP right into any amp
  • Headphone adapters - all possible combos (e.g. 4.4 to XLR, 3.5 to 6.3, whatever I got...) so I can always use any cable with any amp
  • USB cables - all possible connections from my DAP (to USB-B, USB-C, USB-A) so I can always connect my DAP to any DAC
Reinforcing what Jim said above - have your favorite playlist downloaded to whatever device you will use (phone, DAP) assuming poor/no internet

Jan 3, 2024 at 7:24 AM Post #143 of 726
Will there be an opportunity to Audition the Riviera A1C amp?? I did not see Riviera audio labs on the list???

Excellent list

Some of the stuff in my backpack:
  • 1-2 Heapdphones + 1-2 IEMs (depending on my plans for the show, I bring either my references for compairson, or whatever I want to test amps with, or share with friends, etc.)
  • To test amps - bring 4.4 to dual XLR and 3.5 to dual RCA cables, so you can conenct your DAP right into any amp
  • Headphone adapters - all possible combos (e.g. 4.4 to XLR, 3.5 to 6.3, whatever I got...) so I can always use any cable with any amp
  • USB cables - all possible connections from my DAP (to USB-B, USB-C, USB-A) so I can always connect my DAP to any DAC
Reinforcing what Jim said above - have your favorite playlist downloaded to whatever device you will use (phone, DAP) assuming poor/no internet
I have an iBasso DAP with optical out. What other cables are needed to ensure I can connect
this DAP to any system at the show to use as my personal pick list for comparing amps and DACS???

Jan 3, 2024 at 2:33 PM Post #145 of 726
Will there be an opportunity to Audition the Riviera A1C amp?? I did not see Riviera audio labs on the list???

Hopefully. A wonderful amp, can’t recommend it enough.

I have an iBasso DAP with optical out. What other cables are needed to ensure I can connect
this DAP to any system at the show to use as my personal pick list for comparing amps and DACS???

If this is a SPDIF digital out ON your DAP then it would offer you to connect to DACs provided other end of cable is std spdif (like rca shape but with 75 ohm cable)

That said, if your DAP outputs digital via USB I’d recommend that for simplicity (per my inputs above)

To connect directly to amps, see my analog cable recommendations above

Jan 3, 2024 at 11:57 PM Post #146 of 726
just got my ticket for Saturday!

Jan 4, 2024 at 5:34 PM Post #147 of 726

Thanks for the tips. Are people going to be there Friday night too? I know vendors and head-fi staff will be to set up. I thought it starts Saturday morning. :thinking:

Jan 4, 2024 at 6:15 PM Post #148 of 726
Mini-meets happen all the time around CanJam. Depending on their travel plans some folks are in town and roaring to go two and three days before the show starts, and some stick around after. Way back in 2017 a bunch of us got together to watch the Super Bowl and go bowling after the CanJam New York doors closed for the weekend. On more than one CanJam weekend there have been tournaments around karting, table tennis, and other head-to-head sports/games. Ahead of CanJam London 2022 I met up with a buddy of mine in town and we hit up the city, checking out some of the audio shops in the area while also sampling some incredible food. While that specific example may be only two people, I know the Watercooler guys get together regularly in the days leading up to and following CanJams, and they aren't the only ones. Like NovaFlyer mentioned, keep an eye on the thread as the show dates draw close and you might just find a group getting together for more fun outside of CanJam hours.

Jan 4, 2024 at 6:20 PM Post #149 of 726
Really looking forward to seeing Modhouse there, hopefully with a selection of "house approved" amplifiers. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back