CanJam NYC 2024 (March 9-10, 2024)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 7, 2024 at 7:01 PM Post #166 of 726
From a non-native who has lived in Detroit long enough that I believe I can be called a Detroiter now, my order is Neapolitan > Chicago > New York > Detroit.

Now I may have a target on my back from both CanJam NYC Head-Fi’ers and the Head-Fi HQ team.
1704672080737.png

Jan 7, 2024 at 8:11 PM Post #167 of 726
CanJam NYC will be my first CanJam. When I told my wife I wanted to go I asked if she wanted to join me... She has never shown interest in audio (other than to support me, and roll her eyes when yet another package arrives), so I was surprised she said she wanted to go! I asked her why and she responded that she thought that audio nerds would go wild and take advantage of all "fringe benefits" that the big city has to offer and she wanted to keep an eye on me. So, I suppose I have to ask of all the show veterans here, is CanJam toga-optional?
Definitely make to the most of it. I bring my wife and we make a nice date weekend of it. She is very patient with my audio nerdiness during the CanJam time so we also mix in some NYC sight seeing as well. Last year Feb 2023 was my first experience at the NYC CanJam. We went to top of the Empire State bldg the evening before the event and checked out some restaurants nearby. This year we'll catch a show, visit Rockefeller Bldg and a couple museums too. I'm attending both days this time as I found out one day cannot cover all that there is to see at the CanJam.

Jan 7, 2024 at 8:27 PM Post #168 of 726
Definitely make to the most of it. I bring my wife and we make a nice date weekend of it. She is very patient with my audio nerdiness during the CanJam time so we also mix in some NYC sight seeing as well. Last year Feb 2023 was my first experience at the NYC CanJam. We went to top of the Empire State bldg the evening before the event and checked out some restaurants nearby. This year we'll catch a show, visit Rockefeller Bldg and a couple museums too. I'm attending both days this time as I found out one day cannot cover all that there is to see at the CanJam.
We're going to have Friday as our tourist day, so I appreciate the ideas! I figure that the better the time she has the more she will want to join me in the future!! Happy wife, happy life!!

Jan 7, 2024 at 9:08 PM Post #170 of 726
As a Detroiter, I may have to compare.

Jet's is amazing Detroit style and I believe they have an NYC location.

Jan 7, 2024 at 10:49 PM Post #171 of 726
Ok I’m going to be perfectly honest here. It’s definitely great to bring the wife/gf/whatever, I do it every year. But unless there is genuine interest in actually trying and comparing gear on her part, it’s probably best to set her up with her own activities during the show time. I already made that mistake once... There’s a reason why our hobby is comprised of mostly older dudes lol. You want to have fun while you’re there, not say “just 15 more minutes honey!” every 15 minutes.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2024 at 8:55 AM Post #173 of 726
This year we'll catch a show, visit Rockefeller Bldg and a couple museums too.
"Top of the Rock" at the Rockefeller is the best view in the city imo.

-One WTC is too far south
-Empire and Chrysler have views of the north blocked by midtown (so you don't see Billionaires row and Central Park)
-Rockefeller is right in the middle so you can see everything north and south.

Jan 8, 2024 at 9:01 AM Post #174 of 726

-Empire and Chrysler have views of the north blocked by midtown (so you don't see Billionaires row and Central Park)

Empire and Chrysler are what you want to look at, not stand on! For that reason alone I recommend Top Of The Rock :)

Also Hudson Yards has a cool glass floor. Did it at night last year, was semi-mind-blowing. But yeah, if I am picking one-and-only overpriced elevator, it is Top Of The Rock for sure

Jan 8, 2024 at 10:17 AM Post #176 of 726

Good choice for viewing spot open to the public, however, the best view I ever experienced in NYC was on the roof of the Grace Building, a high ride office building located on 42nd Street.

Jan 8, 2024 at 10:26 AM Post #177 of 726
When I was in the military back in 1985 I was stationed in Chicago (North Chicago), and me and my pals used to go to this deep dish pizza joint off Canal street, The pizza was the best I ever had, Beats NY pizza hands down. :)
I feel that we should compare the different styles of pizza the same way that we compare different types of headphones.

In other words:
New York pizza = electrostatic headphones
Chicago pizza = dynamic driver
Detroit pizza = planar magnetic
ETC.

And just like headphones, everyone has their own favorite, no matter how misguided that may be. 🤣

Jan 8, 2024 at 3:51 PM Post #178 of 726
I feel that we should compare the different styles of pizza the same way that we compare different types of headphones.

In other words:
New York pizza = electrostatic headphones
Chicago pizza = dynamic driver
Detroit pizza = planar magnetic
ETC.

And just like headphones, everyone has their own favorite, no matter how misguided that may be. 🤣
So I guess a calzone would be a desktop? :thinking:

Jan 8, 2024 at 5:27 PM Post #179 of 726
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back