CanJam NYC 2023 Impressions Thread (February 25-26, 2023)
Mar 7, 2023 at 10:13 AM Post #826 of 961
You need a head-fi party bus :laughing:

CASKBOBELVIS-2.jpg

Maybe off topic, but I will be visiting Miami soon and would love to listen to Gear like at the NY Can Yam, this would be a great solution

Mar 7, 2023 at 10:36 AM Post #827 of 961
Difficult to test amp and DACs to be honest in CanJam. As you said, too many variables. For eg. In video Enleum amp was on Chord stack, HM-1 was with Weiss DAC which is like $9K DAC and then Bliss was on May stack. There is absolutely no way you can say how the amp performs unless you put them with same DAC and headphone.

I heard Feliks Envy AMP with Aurender A20 and with RME DAC and performance were miles apart so DAC has big role to play.
In my case, I own a Holo May and wanted to hear the Holo Bliss paired with it. The Audeze booth had the perfect set up for me. I heard 5 headphones on it and I loved it. Going to buy it.

Mar 7, 2023 at 10:45 AM Post #828 of 961
In my case, I own a Holo May and wanted to hear the Holo Bliss paired with it. The Audeze booth had the perfect set up for me. I heard 5 headphones on it and I loved it. Going to buy it.
Yeah, that stack sounded really good (and I also have the Holo May as my main DAC)...
Very tempted to board the Bliss train :wink:

Mar 7, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #829 of 961
Maybe somewhere outside the city proper or in NJ

Also there's always Audio46!

Love Audio46 (just bought the Senn Momentum 4's there), but they don't offer the direct to consumer brands like Schitt, Wells Audio, Audio-Gd, etc.

I like your thinking @Relaxasaurus ! :)

Meantime, we really should organize some local head-fi meet ups. The largest city in the country has the least of those. I'd be up for that (and a bar!:))

Not a bad idea. Perhaps when the weather gets better someone with a big enough space can consider, or we rent one out!

CASKBOBELVIS-2.jpg

Yes we just need Tyll to drive it around the country hosting events 🎉

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2023 at 11:45 AM Post #830 of 961
Haha I saw you testing it with your Susvara or Caldera

Mar 7, 2023 at 12:31 PM Post #831 of 961
I also own both the 900s and 909s and agree the 909 is the better headphone. The treble is great, sparkles but doesn’t fatigue unlike the 900s. The 909 also has a fantastic mid range unlike the 900s very sucked out V presentation. I love them both for different reasons but the 909 is easily the better headphone once you sit down and do a thorough A/B comparison between the two.
I currently has the Lawton TH900, I like everything but just wish the vocal is a bit more forward/present and a bit richer mid range, would you say TH909 is probably the correct direction to go?

Mar 7, 2023 at 12:50 PM Post #833 of 961
I currently has the Lawton TH900, I like everything but just wish the vocal is a bit more forward/present and a bit richer mid range, would you say TH909 is probably the correct direction to go?
If you're ok with closed, the TH900 Pearl or Denon D9200 are other options.

Mar 7, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #834 of 961
If you're ok with closed, the TH900 Pearl or Denon D9200 are other options.
I've tried D9200 in the past and thought it was a bit bright sounding? At the time I prefer the tuning of my D5200 better. Though it could also be the dac/amp I have at the time (Burson Playmate 2).

Will keep an eye out for the TH900 Pearl White, thanks!

Mar 7, 2023 at 2:00 PM Post #835 of 961
I dream of opening a store like some good ones in EU and Asia. But considering the insanely high cost of maintaining a store and expensive gears in NY, nobody would want to open a high end store just for people to “use” or demo only, that small admission fees are not gonna even cover the rental and labor ( employees’ insurance and benefits )

It is not even easy to sell used high end gears at insane discount, not to mention to sell new ones at retail price in NY.

I have a lot of respect for the high end headphone audio store owners around the world, they are truly passionate about this hobby.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2023 at 2:08 PM Post #836 of 961
I thought of opening a store like some good ones in EU and Asia. But considering the insanely high cost of maintaining a store and expensive gears in NY, nobody would want to open a high end store just for people to “use” or demo only, that small admission fees are not gonna even cover the rental and labor…

It is not even easy to sell used high end gears at insane discount, not to mention to sell new ones at retail price in NY.

Audio46 be all like...

monkey-look-the-other-way.gif

Mar 7, 2023 at 2:12 PM Post #837 of 961
Audio46 be all like...

Audio 46 is also an online store nationally with a small concrete place in the city. They most sell and offer demos for entry mid range gears. The market for high end headphone audio is rather small. By contrast, there are way much more giant, luxurious, and amazing places for high end loudspeaker brands and systems in the city.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2023 at 2:17 PM Post #838 of 961
Last edited:
Mar 7, 2023 at 3:00 PM Post #839 of 961
giphy.gif

Mar 7, 2023 at 3:04 PM Post #840 of 961

Can attest to the great HP selection at A46. Had the pleasure of picking up one of the very first Arya's there when it became available. They let me compare it with an HD800S, LCD-X, and the og Final D8000. Them being super friendly is just icing on the cake.

Terco, is there a secret listening room in back us mere mortals aren't privvy to? If not, how cool would it be to set one up for us to reserve blocks of time to try some of the fancier amps/dacs that y'all offer. 😁

Users who are viewing this thread

Back