CanJam NYC 2023 Impressions Thread (February 25-26, 2023)
Mar 6, 2023 at 4:27 PM Post #811 of 960
Just curious, when you are comparing/describing amps, are you using the same pair of headphones, volume matched between amps? How about the source? I'm 100% vested in and review mostly portable audio (IEMs/DAPs), but full size cans pique my interest. With IEMs, it is much easier to compare, you choose one DAP and cycle through different monitors, volume matched. And the same with DAPs, pick one pair of IEMs, and cycle through DAPs, again, volume matched. In my mind, that is the only way I can have a meaningful a/b comparison. But with headphones and desktop sources, seems like there are too many variables. Plus, I noticed, people describing amps while using different dacs and headphones, so I'm a bit confused... I usually attend CanJam NYC on Sat only to check iems, daps, cables, but thinking maybe next year will come back on Sunday just for headphones.
My descriptions of my experiences at canjam are at best self guidance to what I thought at the moment and if I want to try and get more time with something or not. No one can review on the floor. Impossible noise conditions for starters. But for me some things definitely sparked enough interest to want to listen more while others was enough to not really interest me.

Mar 6, 2023 at 4:28 PM Post #812 of 960
Just curious, when you are comparing/describing amps, are you using the same pair of headphones, volume matched between amps? How about the source? I'm 100% vested in and review mostly portable audio (IEMs/DAPs), but full size cans pique my interest. With IEMs, it is much easier to compare, you choose one DAP and cycle through different monitors, volume matched. And the same with DAPs, pick one pair of IEMs, and cycle through DAPs, again, volume matched. In my mind, that is the only way I can have a meaningful a/b comparison. But with headphones and desktop sources, seems like there are too many variables. Plus, I noticed, people describing amps while using different dacs and headphones, so I'm a bit confused... I usually attend CanJam NYC on Sat only to check iems, daps, cables, but thinking maybe next year will come back on Sunday just for headphones.
In some cases, it is simply not possible to do a strictly A/B test. For example, how can you A/B test ZMF VC and Hifiman HE6SE, one is high impadance and usually shines from Tube amp while another requires huge amount of current from SS amp. I guess it is fair to compare them with each paired with its best chain of source and amp. The only thing you can do is to adjust the volume.

It also makes sense that desktop gears are okay to depends on its feeding chain while IEMs are usually used on the go and you can't bring lots of different DAPs, dongles, in some case portable DAC/AMP with phones. Therefore, it makes sense for you to have a strict A/B test for IEMs.

For example, currently in my home office, I have a switch to change amp while sharing the same DAC for my two full-size headphones. I also need to manually chaned the EQ profile in my desktop PC each times.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2023 at 4:40 PM Post #813 of 960
Mar 6, 2023 at 4:57 PM Post #814 of 960

If you're interested in testing amps, my recommendation for CanJam would be to bring your own headphone and source. I was very focused myself on amps this last CanJam and had my Susvara with me along with my playlist on AK2000 with XLR/RCA outs, so used same music source/dac, and headphone across various amps (unless of course when trying new headphones! :))

so your logic with regards to testing IEMs and DAPs really applies similarly for headphones and amps. And if you are really nice, you can sometimes borrow headphones from one place and plug them to an amp in another you may be familiar with. With a smile and a little politeness, and an ounce of patience, you can test pretty much anything at a CanJam..

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2023 at 10:07 PM Post #815 of 960

Good question. Echoing what others have said, Canjam is not a great place for reviewing equipment. My take was for quick impressions. I did, however, bring my Empyreans and tried my best to compare based on something I use pretty much daily.

I still wished I could've taken the Chord TT2 and tried it on the Holo Bliss for a more direct comparison with the Enleum, but that's too much hassle for equipment that isn't mine.

Someone needs to start a headphone bar in the city. Charge a small admission to go in and demo all sorts of gear in a listening room. Would never work what with commercial rent around here but fun to think about. :grin:

Mar 6, 2023 at 10:22 PM Post #816 of 960
good idea but as you say the costs are so out of control that it wouldnt be feasible

Mar 6, 2023 at 10:46 PM Post #817 of 960
Maybe somewhere outside the city proper or in NJ

Also there's always Audio46!

Mar 6, 2023 at 10:59 PM Post #818 of 960
Someone needs to start a headphone bar in the city. Charge a small admission to go in and demo all sorts of gear in a listening room. Would never work what with commercial rent around here but fun to think about. :grin:

good idea but as you say the costs are so out of control that it wouldnt be feasible

I like your thinking @Relaxasaurus ! :)

Meantime, we really should organize some local head-fi meet ups. The largest city in the country has the least of those. I'd be up for that (and a bar!:))

Mar 6, 2023 at 11:22 PM Post #820 of 960
You need a head-fi party bus :laughing:

CASKBOBELVIS-2.jpg

Mar 6, 2023 at 11:43 PM Post #821 of 960
I like the way you think @Zachik

Mar 7, 2023 at 2:21 AM Post #822 of 960
Meantime, we really should organize some local head-fi meet ups. The largest city in the country has the least of those. I'd be up for that (and a bar!:))

@third_eye and I once thought as you do… look what happened to us!

Mar 7, 2023 at 8:33 AM Post #823 of 960

Users who are viewing this thread

Back