CanJam NYC 2022 Impressions Thread (February 26-27, 2022)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 27, 2022 at 11:14 PM Post #151 of 489
A surprise for me was the Meze 109’s
B6627EC9-6BF0-4187-A7E1-2B93B1A658E5.jpeg

Not the best of show but a surprise. Pretty good.

Feb 27, 2022 at 11:28 PM Post #153 of 489
A surprise for me was the Meze 109’s
B6627EC9-6BF0-4187-A7E1-2B93B1A658E5.jpeg
Not the best of show but a surprise. Pretty good.

I agrees that was a nice surprise, it's sounds like a warm Elex? Considering the price point $700-$800, super comfortable.

The UM MEXT was my favorite iem and the Dunu Titan S that for $60 sounds so good, better than the Moondrop Aria.

Audeze Carbon was my favorite headphones at the show.

Did anyone tried the Susvara closed back? DC Stealth was a great too.

Dekoni and their new pads for Grados 👏👏👏.

Feb 28, 2022 at 12:18 AM Post #155 of 489
Yes, I am lucky to have both. I find them very complementary and not similar at all. The TC puts on a great show, with plenty of bass and a signature which is just perfect for metal. The Utopia is refined and provides me a pinpoint space where I can locate each instrument, like sitting inside an orchestra- perfect for classical music.
What do you source and power them with?

Feb 28, 2022 at 12:34 AM Post #157 of 489
I just saw Woo seems to be coming up with a new amp but there isn’t much info on the WA23, can any of you lucky CanJammer share either info on it like price and listening impressions?
2A3 SET 6C45 (?) w/Alps RK-50 (not sure, but may be optional). It's basically a smaller footprint of the WA33, which sounded fantastic w/Diana TC and is a very appealing departure to their chassis designs, which should be released in a few weeks or so.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2022 at 12:40 AM Post #158 of 489
Haphazard notes on the Mojo 2

I had a chance to listen to a few things at the show, and for me the Mojo 2 is the only one I'm writing about because it is the device that in my judgment offered the best price-performance ratio. I started comparing it to my original Mojo and there was an appreciable jump in sound quality that I think is worth the upgrade. I have to admit that I did perceive it as a tad bright in the treble. I've seen a few folks indicate that they hear the Mojo as bright and harsh, but that has never been the case for me. If anything I'd say the Mojo is relatively smooth and even a tad reticent in the treble. With the Mojo 2 the first thing I noticed was the increased level of treble extension and detail. Treble definitely stands out a bit more on the Mojo 2 akin to the Hugo 2. Everything is more intelligible, and micro details are more evident. The articulation and texture it brings to instruments and vocals is a definite step up. I think I'd still give the nod to the Hugo 2 as the more technically competent, whether that extra level of technical competency translates to engagement is left to be seen. I've just ordered the Mojo 2 to assess this for myself as my suspicions are that Mojo 2 offers that engagement without compromising too much on the technicalities. In all honesty, the Mojo 2 was great at making me feel like I wasn't missing anything at all unless I compared it directly with the Hugo 2.

The Mojo's bass in my opinion was never really quite well defined, at least compared to some of its competitors like the iFi Audio iDSD Black . The Mojo 2 fixes this. It has impact, speed, texture and depth. Driving my Sony IER-Z1R, it was very tastefully done. I was surprised at how much better in the bass it was. It's a very notable improvement over its predecessor in this regard.

The other thing I noticed was the dynamics of this new Mojo 2. It is fantastic. Transients are also super clean and the dramatic stop and start of moments in the music drive excitement and is a definitive trait of the Chord Dacs that makes itself known upon immediate listen.

Mojo 2 also has a nice blackground. The Mojo still does well for vocals and some may still prefer it's more full bodied nature. I started preferring the Mojo 2's mid the more I listened. A nice tinge of warmth is added, and it is as mentioned earlier so articulate. You hear more nuance in the vocals and the tonal colors are more evident.

Soundstage is probably in about the same, but because the Mojo 2 is better at instrument separation and placement it feels more well defined, particularly in the depth.

Mojo 2 is also more layered with inner details that would've otherwise been smoothed over by the Mojo being brought to life. Thankfully, it is still very coherent sounding. Lack of coherency was my major concern when I saw initial impressions in this thread that it was more detailed. I love details, but not at the expense of coherency. At the end of the day I want to know that I am listening to music. I know the Mojo 2 was special because I just stopped comparing and listening to my music. At that moment it didn't matter if something else was more detailed or more refined or whatever, I was just once again listening and enjoying my music. Obviously there are many variables at play in our hobby. I did my impressions above as one could glean with the Sony IER-Z1R IEMs playing tracks from Tidal on myPhone. I would encourage anyone especially those willing to spend good amount of money on kilobuck DAPs and DAC/Amps to give the Mojo 2 a try.

Feb 28, 2022 at 12:56 AM Post #159 of 489
I tried 20 seconds of T2 with Stax 9000X
Which reminds me of listening to Warwick Aperio at Canjam NYC two years ago...

Another He1 contender
IMG_20220227_171844__01.jpg

RAAL n VM1A are making waves!
Plus we've got Diana TC and AB 1266 Phi TC on our legendary gs-x mini

plus the X9000 on our BHSE
Shout-out to Headamp! Most cans and most gears with the best guys over there

Feb 28, 2022 at 1:10 AM Post #160 of 489
Haphazard notes on the Mojo 2

I had a chance to listen to a few things at the show, and for me the Mojo 2 is the only one I'm writing about because it is the device that in my judgment offered the best price-performance ratio. I started comparing it to my original Mojo and there was an appreciable jump in sound quality that I think is worth the upgrade. I have to admit that I did perceive it as a tad bright in the treble. I've seen a few folks indicate that they hear the Mojo as bright and harsh, but that has never been the case for me. If anything I'd say the Mojo is relatively smooth and even a tad reticent in the treble. With the Mojo 2 the first thing I noticed was the increased level of treble extension and detail. Treble definitely stands out a bit more on the Mojo 2 akin to the Hugo 2. Everything is more intelligible, and micro details are more evident. The articulation and texture it brings to instruments and vocals is a definite step up. I think I'd still give the nod to the Hugo 2 as the more technically competent, whether that extra level of technical competency translates to engagement is left to be seen. I've just ordered the Mojo 2 to assess this for myself as my suspicions are that Mojo 2 offers that engagement without compromising too much on the technicalities. In all honesty, the Mojo 2 was great at making me feel like I wasn't missing anything at all unless I compared it directly with the Hugo 2.

The Mojo's bass in my opinion was never really quite well defined, at least compared to some of its competitors like the iFi Audio iDSD Black . The Mojo 2 fixes this. It has impact, speed, texture and depth. Driving my Sony IER-Z1R, it was very tastefully done. I was surprised at how much better in the bass it was. It's a very notable improvement over its predecessor in this regard.

The other thing I noticed was the dynamics of this new Mojo 2. It is fantastic. Transients are also super clean and the dramatic stop and start of moments in the music drive excitement and is a definitive trait of the Chord Dacs that makes itself known upon immediate listen.

Mojo 2 also has a nice blackground. The Mojo still does well for vocals and some may still prefer it's more full bodied nature. I started preferring the Mojo 2's mid the more I listened. A nice tinge of warmth is added, and it is as mentioned earlier so articulate. You hear more nuance in the vocals and the tonal colors are more evident.

Soundstage is probably in about the same, but because the Mojo 2 is better at instrument separation and placement it feels more well defined, particularly in the depth.

Mojo 2 is also more layered with inner details that would've otherwise been smoothed over by the Mojo being brought to life. Thankfully, it is still very coherent sounding. Lack of coherency was my major concern when I saw initial impressions in this thread that it was more detailed. I love details, but not at the expense of coherency. At the end of the day I want to know that I am listening to music. I know the Mojo 2 was special because I just stopped comparing and listening to my music. At that moment it didn't matter if something else was more detailed or more refined or whatever, I was just once again listening and enjoying my music. Obviously there are many variables at play in our hobby. I did my impressions above as one could glean with the Sony IER-Z1R IEMs playing tracks from Tidal on myPhone. I would encourage anyone especially those willing to spend good amount of money on kilobuck DAPs and DAC/Amps to give the Mojo 2 a try.
I own Mojo OG, Hugo 2 and Hugo TT2 so I qualify as a Chord fan. I had my doubt about the sound quality, but I did find it was a noticable improvement to the Mojo OG. The EQ feature is very well implemented and works to make minor adjustments where required like if an IEM has excess glare or is bass light. I will probably pick one up in the future.

Feb 28, 2022 at 2:02 AM Post #161 of 489
Random thoughts:

I'm surprised that I didn't like the CRBN, Susvara, and LCD-5 that much.
Also surprised I didn't like the LCD-5 as much.
I recently heard the LCD-5 at The Source AV and I was also thoroughly underwhelmed.

Weak bass, thin mids, small soundstage. Just a really mediocre sounding headphone IMHO. And the headband's high clamping pressure caused the stiff and very uncomfortable ear pads to quickly start digging in around my ears. After about 10 minutes, I'd had enough, and I was a little shocked by the sense of genuine relief that I felt when I finally removed them from my head!

And I have zero desire to ever put them back on again! :confounded:

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2022 at 2:48 AM Post #162 of 489
I recently heard the LCD-5 at The Source AV and I was also thoroughly underwhelmed.

Weak bass, thin mids, small soundstage. Just a really mediocre sounding headphone IMHO. And the headband's high clamping pressure caused the stiff and very uncomfortable ear pads to quickly start digging in around my ears. After about 5 minutes, I'd had enough, and I was a little shocked by the sense of genuine relief that I felt when I finally removed them from my head!

And I have zero desire to ever put them back on again! :confounded:
LCD-5 needs EQ and then it's one of the best maybe the best headphone! Without EQ too thin to shouty in the mids.

Feb 28, 2022 at 6:03 AM Post #163 of 489
LCD-5 needs EQ and then it's one of the best maybe the best headphone! Without EQ too thin to shouty in the mids.
Never, ever use EQ. It destroys the overall sound fidelity.

Feb 28, 2022 at 6:08 AM Post #164 of 489
I tried 20 seconds of T2 with Stax 9000X
Which reminds me of listening to Warwick Aperio at Canjam NYC two years ago...

Another He1 contender
IMG_20220227_171844__01.jpg
X9000 with T2!!! I would like to know your thoughts on how the setup sound like

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back