CanJam NYC 2022 Impressions Thread (February 26-27, 2022)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 28, 2022 at 9:30 AM Post #181 of 489
Never, ever use EQ. It destroys the overall sound fidelity.
well, just a simplistic statement presented as a universal truths...

...maid be true for you of cause, for whatever reasons: bad can, bad EQ implementation, not the right EQ Target, taste, Knowhow,...

the EQ bashing reflex was (may be) valid some years ago, but time is moving on.

if you are really serious about sound fidelity use EQ. it can compensate, what you HP adds to the original signal.

if you against EQ at all, well in this case you music catalog would be quite limited, as the chance that EQ was used during music production is quite high.

Feb 28, 2022 at 9:31 AM Post #182 of 489
They have a new amp - the VM-1a. I got a chance to listen to it, very briefly. The room was noisy at the time, and you know, the SR1a is completely open. While I was listening through the SR1a, I actually heard plenty of additional music coming from the open-back headphones worn by the people sitting around me. So, I don't really have too much insight into how this new amp sounds.
Yeah every time I've heard the raal at a show, I've only gotten a taste because of how loud it was.

There was also this:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/raa...lanar-magnetic-and-dynamic-headphones.959957/

Curious how they got an otl to play well with planars - lots of feedback to drop the impedance?

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2022 at 10:04 AM Post #183 of 489
Susvara closed back how did I miss that?
Lol sorry maybe I was confused, probably a R10 with the Susvara headband? A new R10 design maybe?

Feb 28, 2022 at 10:11 AM Post #184 of 489
Were the Spirit Torino Valkyrias at the show?
Yes and they look and sound spectacular, which they should for their $11,000 asking price (not a mistake $11k). The Spirit Torino table was one of the highlights of the show. All their headphones sound and look great regardless of the price. In spite of my lack of Italian and their imperfect English, I could still understand their pride in their headphones and their passion for their craft.

Feb 28, 2022 at 10:11 AM Post #185 of 489
It is called the pregain, the gain dropped in many cases for giving the user the headroom to increase a particular band. It has nothing to do with audio quality, fidelity or anything else. Please avoid spreading false information. All kinds of DSP is applied at all stages of music production, analog conversion etc. Second thing, MSRB only makes sense if the overall tonal balance is OK without peaks, dips etc, and at high frequencies that can depend on your anatomy. EQ is a tool to learn to apply, not to be declared bad just because someone doesn't have the knowledge or experience to use it properly.
No, I'm not talking about 'pre gain'. The Hiby has no pregain anyway, when you disable the MSRB it's instant and no volume change: My friend, I'm talking about the Fidelity of the the sound signature, not the volume:smile_cat:

...maid be true for you of cause, for whatever reasons: bad can, bad EQ implementation, not the right EQ Target, taste, Knowhow,...

if you are really serious about sound fidelity use EQ. it can compensate, what you HP adds to the original signal.

if you against EQ at all, well in this case you music catalog would be quite limited, as the chance that EQ was used during music production is quite high.
I disagree with you 100%. LOL, :smiley_cat:Have a nice day!

Feb 28, 2022 at 10:17 AM Post #186 of 489
The wife won these at CanJam, designed by the legendary Axel Grell, the man behind practically every Sennheiser we all love. Only listened to them briefly at the show, but overall impressions were very good for a true wireless. BT 5.2 and support LHDC--excited to give these a listen!

@grell audio

1646053921546972368567235346669.jpg
I enjoyed these very much and thought it was a great package of functionality and strong sound quality. I did have trouble with the fit however. For those whom they fit well I think this is the best TWS out there and a great value as well

Feb 28, 2022 at 10:19 AM Post #188 of 489
Were the Spirit Torino Valkyrias at the show? I heard somewhere that they were expected to be there.

How about the latest tube amp from Feliks (Envy) was that at the show as well?
Headphones.com was not at the show and they are the US distributor along with upscale audio, didn't see any Feliks gear. Andrew the proprietor was there, however, great guy.

Feb 28, 2022 at 10:21 AM Post #189 of 489
The UM MEXT might be added to my collection.
I would like to know more about your impression on MEXT> Specifically the midrange timbre - is it distinctly BA, or DD naturality is somewhat present?

Feb 28, 2022 at 10:23 AM Post #190 of 489

You want to use eq in the music that the producer already equalized....

Feb 28, 2022 at 10:34 AM Post #192 of 489
No, I'm not talking about 'pre gain'. The Hiby has no pregain anyway, when you disable the MSRB it's instant and no volume change: My friend, I'm talking about the Fidelity of the the sound signature, not the volume:smile_cat:
If any of the frequency range in an EQ profile is boosted instead of dialed down, a pre-gain is necessary or loud music will clip in that band. Use a more sophisticated approach like system-wide parametric EQ, such as EqualizerAPO on platforms like the PC is usually better when the situation allows. as for fidelity, it’s like arguing the music decreases in quality when you dial the volume down, depending on how you define the sentence it is generally not true except in edge cases.

EQ certainly has its limits as the reproductive instrument is limited by the capabilities of the hardware and excessive use of EQ can make things behave wonky depending on the individual hardware. While it can enhance something already is good to great, it cannot magically change something downright bad into something good.

Also, please don’t hostilely attack others when they propose an opinion you may not agree with.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2022 at 10:39 AM Post #193 of 489
I enjoyed these very much and thought it was a great package of functionality and strong sound quality. I did have trouble with the fit however. For those whom they fit well I think this is the best TWS out there and a great value as well
These Grells are lots of fun for $199. With transparency on, the SQ takes a hit, unfortunately--this is one of those TWS that have been tuned to sound better with ANC on. As far as fit, they come with wings and 3 silicone tips plus 2 foam.

Final Audio's TWS, the ZE3000 had a more hefty low end and I really liked them. Their headphone version, the UX3000, not so much for me.

Feb 28, 2022 at 10:59 AM Post #194 of 489
To each his own. I have the 2C and I do not eq, but it sounds great to me. I don't know why everyone says the 2C has to be equ'ed...and believe me, I tried, I did all the Roon DSP profiles, reviews, I tried a lot of different EQ and parametric settings, and in every single case it made the 2C sound worse to my ears...go figure.
As a former 2C owner myself I do agree. The headphones has a unique, special quality to it that is often taken away if EQ’d. At times if the flavor that makes a pair special is taken away for the sake of “tonal balance” or whatnot then at the end, what’s the point?

Feb 28, 2022 at 11:01 AM Post #195 of 489
As a former 2C owner myself I do agree. The headphones has a unique, special quality to it that is often taken away if EQ’d. At times if the flavor that makes a pair special is taken away for the sake of “tonal balance” or whatnot then at the end, what’s the point?
Exactly!

If any of the frequency range in an EQ profile is boosted instead of dialed down, a pre-gain is necessary or loud music will clip in that band. Use a more sophisticated approach like system-wide parametric EQ, such as EqualizerAPO on platforms like the PC is usually better when the situation allows. as for fidelity, it’s like arguing the music decreases in quality when you dial the volume down, depending on how you define the sentence it is generally not true except in edge cases.

EQ certainly has its limits as the reproductive instrument is limited by the capabilities of the hardware and excessive use of EQ can make things behave wonky depending on the individual hardware. While it can enhance something already is good to great, it cannot magically change something downright bad into something good.

Also, please don’t hostilely attack others when they propose an opinion you may not agree with.
I've done all that...I have JRiver music player and Roon, DSP etc. It doesn't matter. I like sound just as the designers intended, WITH the original fidelity of the sound signature. If a piece of equipment does not give that to me, and I need to 'EQ' it, it's not for me. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back