CanJam NYC 2022 Impressions Thread (February 26-27, 2022)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 28, 2022 at 7:21 AM Post #166 of 489
Never, ever use EQ. It destroys the overall sound fidelity.
This is something I'm always torn on. Some headphones truly do benefit from EQ and take it well. Others, you can almost 'feel' the artificial characteristics you've added by tweaking.

I use it heavily on the LCD-X, tweaks on the Arya, but not on the Verite or the Elite.

Feb 28, 2022 at 7:40 AM Post #167 of 489
This is something I'm always torn on. Some headphones truly do benefit from EQ and take it well. Others, you can almost 'feel' the artificial characteristics you've added by tweaking.

I use it heavily on the LCD-X, tweaks on the Arya, but not on the Verite or the Elite.
To each his own. I have the 2C and I do not eq, but it sounds great to me. I don't know why everyone says the 2C has to be equ'ed...and believe me, I tried, I did all the Roon DSP profiles, reviews, I tried a lot of different EQ and parametric settings, and in every single case it made the 2C sound worse to my ears...go figure.

Feb 28, 2022 at 7:47 AM Post #168 of 489
To each his own. I have the 2C and I do not eq, but it sounds great to me. I don't know why everyone says the 2C has to be equ'ed...and believe me, I tried, I did all the Roon DSP profiles, reviews, I tried a lot of different EQ and parametric settings, and in every single case it made the 2C sound worse to my ears...go figure.
I've tried Oratory1990 on the LCD and didn't love it.

@metal571 lists out EQ settings under each of his YT videos and I highly recommend those for the different LCDs. Overall very natural and still retains all the original flavor.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2022 at 8:07 AM Post #169 of 489
I've tried Oratory1990 on the LCD and didn't love it.

@metal571 lists out EQ settings under each of his YT videos and I highly recommend those for the different LCDs. Overall very natural and still retains all the original flavor.
But for me, as soon as the EQ is engaged, no matter what the settings, the sound fidelity drops and it's not worth it. It ruins it. Even on the Hiby player they have the MSRB global settings...I play with settings and feel convinced I 'improved' the sound, but as soon as I turn it off and it goes normal, it's instantly better quality sound.

Feb 28, 2022 at 8:11 AM Post #170 of 489
Random thoughts:

Favorites: Eksonic T2, Mjolnir Carbon, X9000, 009, Voce

Eksonic T2 + 009 = bass cannon. No way can anyone call the 009 bass light now.

I'm surprised that I didn't like the CRBN, Susvara, and LCD-5 that much.

The Diana was better than I thought it would be but the fit is a little weird.

I also liked the Mysphere 3, but the headband was a bit uncomfortable.

Tried a bunch of ThieAudio IEMs and didn't like any of them, even the $6000(?) one. All too dark and forward sounding to me.

Tried a few Linsoul IEMs and liked them. Ended up buying a "7Hz Timeless" IEM. Not the most smooth treble, but the bass quickness and soundstage is very fun and they were pretty cheap at around $189 with the show discount.
I believe Thieaudios most expensive IEM is $1500, the V16. I also didn't care for that set but I did really enjoy the monarch. Didn't hear any other IEM under 1k that I enjoyed as much. Definitely wasn't the best at the show but the ones I ranked above it were twice the cost.

Feb 28, 2022 at 8:12 AM Post #171 of 489
I've tried the MMR Thummim and paired them with my Fiio M11 Plus LTD DAP. Their soundstage feels quite immersive and the micro-details are razor sharp.
I agree, The MMR was very pleasing off my M8!

Feb 28, 2022 at 8:19 AM Post #172 of 489
The wife won these at CanJam, designed by the legendary Axel Grell, the man behind practically every Sennheiser we all love. Only listened to them briefly at the show, but overall impressions were very good for a true wireless. BT 5.2 and support LHDC--excited to give these a listen!

@grell audio
@Evshrug

1646053921546972368567235346669.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2022 at 8:41 AM Post #173 of 489
Were the Spirit Torino Valkyrias at the show? I heard somewhere that they were expected to be there.

How about the latest tube amp from Feliks (Envy) was that at the show as well?

Feb 28, 2022 at 9:02 AM Post #174 of 489
I believe Thieaudios most expensive IEM is $1500, the V16. I also didn't care for that set but I did really enjoy the monarch. Didn't hear any other IEM under 1k that I enjoyed as much. Definitely wasn't the best at the show but the ones I ranked above it were twice the cost.

Looks like the IEM was made by Oriolus. There were a couple brands at the same booth apparently.

Feb 28, 2022 at 9:09 AM Post #175 of 489
I agrees that was a nice surprise, it's sounds like a warm Elex? Considering the price point $700-$800, super comfortable.

The UM MEXT was my favorite iem and the Dunu Titan S that for $60 sounds so good, better than the Moondrop Aria.

Audeze Carbon was my favorite headphones at the show.

Did anyone tried the Susvara closed back? DC Stealth was a great too.

Dekoni and their new pads for Grados 👏👏👏.
Susvara closed back how did I miss that?

Feb 28, 2022 at 9:14 AM Post #176 of 489
Feb 28, 2022 at 9:18 AM Post #177 of 489
Great compared to what? Is it even an upgrade from 20yr old amb design or gilmore lite?
Garnering uneducated opinions and sharing them… perhaps listen to one

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2022 at 9:23 AM Post #178 of 489
Susvara closed back how did I miss that?
was there a susvara closed back? I missed that if that's the case.

I recently heard the LCD-5 at The Source AV and I was also thoroughly underwhelmed.

Weak bass, thin mids, small soundstage. Just a really mediocre sounding headphone IMHO. And the headband's high clamping pressure caused the stiff and very uncomfortable ear pads to quickly start digging in around my ears. After about 10 minutes, I'd had enough, and I was a little shocked by the sense of genuine relief that I felt when I finally removed them from my head!

And I have zero desire to ever put them back on again! :confounded:
at what LCD5 system where you find the LCD5 thin mids as there were likes 7 or even 10 setups with the LCD5s.

Feb 28, 2022 at 9:26 AM Post #179 of 489
But for me, as soon as the EQ is engaged, no matter what the settings, the sound fidelity drops and it's not worth it. It ruins it. Even on the Hiby player they have the MSRB global settings...I play with settings and feel convinced I 'improved' the sound, but as soon as I turn it off and it goes normal, it's instantly better quality sound.
It is called the pregain, the gain dropped in many cases for giving the user the headroom to increase a particular band. It has nothing to do with audio quality, fidelity or anything else. Please avoid spreading false information. All kinds of DSP is applied at all stages of music production, analog conversion etc. Second thing, MSRB only makes sense if the overall tonal balance is OK without peaks, dips etc, and at high frequencies that can depend on your anatomy. EQ is a tool to learn to apply, not to be declared bad just because someone doesn't have the knowledge or experience to use it properly.

Feb 28, 2022 at 9:29 AM Post #180 of 489
Looks like the IEM was made by Oriolus. There were a couple brands at the same booth apparently.

ThieAudio is associated with Linsoul, nobody know which manufacturer makes it for them. Oriolus is a different brand that makes Traillii, Mellianus, Isabellae, etc., and they are distributed by Musicteck, were at their table along with other brands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back