CanJam NYC 2019 (February 16-17, 2019)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 7, 2019 at 12:28 AM Post #586 of 884
And I'm also enjoying reading about Pizzafest but I'm puzzled as to why you gentlemen haven't even considered going out to Brooklyn to feast on some killer pizza - http://www.spumonigardens.com/

Yeah I know it's not wood fired brick oven but it's real NY pizza made for real New Yorkers.
My parts stock room was around the corner on Highlawn & S and some of the guys liked to go there for lunch and I never thought their pizza was good, at all. I went there this past summer with some friends from NC, one who've never been there, and we were all very disappointed.

Feb 7, 2019 at 9:43 AM Post #587 of 884
Feb 7, 2019 at 9:49 AM Post #588 of 884
My parts stock room was around the corner on Highlawn & S and some of the guys liked to go there for lunch and I never thought their pizza was good, at all. I went there this past summer with some friends from NC, one who've never been there, and we were all very disappointed.

I grew up in Brooklyn, not very far from Spumoni Gardens, and back then (we're talking over 20 years ago) it was one of the pizza parlors in all of Brooklyn. Since I haven't been there recently I will take your word for the decline in quality. But hey there's always Lenny's Pizza, made famous in Saturday Night Fever:

Feb 7, 2019 at 10:44 AM Post #589 of 884
I want to make sure I have enough cable choices with me to hook up to exhibitors amplifiers or external DACs fed by my music collection stored on my Questyle QP1R DAP. The DAP has optical out only so will bring TOSLINK cable. I will also bring my CHORD HUGO2 which I think has RCA out. Can I use it with the QP1R if RCA out is needed? What cables in addition to my TOSLINK would be ideal to cover all connectivity issues so I can audition SUSVARA, STAX SR009, MEZE EMPYREAN, and ABYSS AB-1266 PHI CC??

Thanks
The optical cable or RCA coax can plug into the back of any of the 10+ Benchmark DAC3/HPA4 systems that will be at the show. I will also have several extra cables at the Benchmark booth where we will have a nice selection of headphones to try.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2019 at 11:02 AM Post #590 of 884

I wouldn’t recommend L&B for anyone looking for “NY style” pizza, they will be severely disappointed/confused. I’m not even sure what to classify their pizza as, as its not a regular Sicilian square either. Ive never been a fan of the pizza, but many of my friends and family do like it. It looks like deep dish, but it’s actually the thick fluffy dough with the crispy crust that gives it the thickness, rather than the cheese and sauce. I will say I love their spumoni and Italian ices though. They actually do have a pretty good full Italian menu; the linguini w/white clam sauce is pretty good.

Feb 7, 2019 at 11:09 AM Post #591 of 884
I wouldn’t recommend L&B for anyone looking for “NY style” pizza, they will be severely disappointed/confused. I’m not even sure what to classify their pizza as, as its not a regular Sicilian square either. Ive never been a fan of the pizza, but many of my friends and family do like it. It looks like deep dish, but it’s actually the thick fluffy dough with the crispy crust that gives it the thickness, rather than the cheese and sauce. I will say I love their spumoni and Italian ices though. They actually do have a pretty good full Italian menu; the linguini w/white clam sauce is pretty good.
I think it was 'famous' because of its location back in the day, to be quite honest.

Feb 7, 2019 at 12:13 PM Post #593 of 884
Here is the Seminar Schedule for next week. Spaces are limited so plan accordingly!

CanJam NYC 2019 Seminar Schedule

Join us in the Majestic/Music Box rooms on the 6th floor for a series of interactive discussion panels with some of the industry’s leading experts in audio technology. Always entertaining, extremely engaging, and very informative, these seminars give you a behind the scenes look at the headphone audio industry like nothing else.

Saturday, February 16

1pm-2pm Measuring Headphones Today: Precision & Challenges
Jude Mansilla of Head-Fi.org will examine the level of precision needed to measure today’s headphones and IEMs, modeling human perception, how measurement data is obtained, why headphone measurements matter, and why they sometimes don’t. He'll also discuss some of the new challenges that today's headphones and earphones can present for those who want to measure them.

2:30-3:30 It’s 2019! So Why Are You Still Measuring Audio Devices Like It’s 1969?
Audio test methods and techniques have hardly changed in the past several decades. Frequency response is primarily measured using a sine wave stimulus. Distortion is primarily determined using sine waves, with Total Harmonic Distortion (THD) typically being the only result that is published. This presentation will focus on new techniques for characterizing performance of any type of audio device using speech and music to complement traditional audio test and measurement methods. Presented by Dan Foley of Audio Precision and ALMA.

4pm-5pm Chord Hugo TT 2 Technical Seminar With Rob Watts
The Chord Electronics Hugo TT2 is much more than a desktop version of the portable Hugo 2. Rob Watts will be talking about the new design and technologies behind the Chord Electronics Hugo TT 2, how it differs from its portable sibling, including a presentation of the Hugo TT 2’s measured performance.

Sunday, February 17

12:30-1:30pm Chord Hugo M Scaler Technical Talk With Rob Watts
Rob Watts will be talking about the importance of transients for auditory perception, and how digital audio has problems in recreating transients accurately enough. He will then talk in detail about the Chord Electronics Hugo M Scaler, which guarantees better than 16-bit reconstruction of transients, with the one-million tap WTA filter employed in the Hugo M Scaler.

2pm-3pm CanJam NYC 2019 Personal Audio AMA (Ask Me Anything)
How do headphone engineers achieve their desired tuning? Will digital audio ever approach analog? How much do audio measurements really matter? You have questions. Bring them to the CanJam NYC 2019 Personal Audio AMA, and let our distinguished panel -- Paul Barton (NAD/PSB), Dan Clark (MrSpeakers), Dan Foley (Audio Precision and ALMA) and Rob Watts (Chord Electronics) -- answer them all. This panel will be moderated by Head-Fi staffer Warren Chi.

Feb 7, 2019 at 12:18 PM Post #594 of 884
Here is the Seminar Schedule for next week. Spaces are limited so plan accordingly!

CanJam NYC 2019 Seminar Schedule

Join us in the Majestic/Music Box rooms on the 6th floor for a series of interactive discussion panels with some of the industry’s leading experts in audio technology. Always entertaining, extremely engaging, and very informative, these seminars give you a behind the scenes look at the headphone audio industry like nothing else.

Saturday, February 16

1pm-2pm Measuring Headphones Today: Precision & Challenges
Jude Mansilla of Head-Fi.org will examine the level of precision needed to measure today’s headphones and IEMs, modeling human perception, how measurement data is obtained, why headphone measurements matter, and why they sometimes don’t. He'll also discuss some of the new challenges that today's headphones and earphones can present for those who want to measure them.

2:30-3:30 It’s 2019! So Why Are You Still Measuring Audio Devices Like It’s 1969?
Audio test methods and techniques have hardly changed in the past several decades. Frequency response is primarily measured using a sine wave stimulus. Distortion is primarily determined using sine waves, with Total Harmonic Distortion (THD) typically being the only result that is published. This presentation will focus on new techniques for characterizing performance of any type of audio device using speech and music to complement traditional audio test and measurement methods. Presented by Dan Foley of Audio Precision and ALMA.

4pm-5pm Chord Hugo TT 2 Technical Seminar With Rob Watts
The Chord Electronics Hugo TT2 is much more than a desktop version of the portable Hugo 2. Rob Watts will be talking about the new design and technologies behind the Chord Electronics Hugo TT 2, how it differs from its portable sibling, including a presentation of the Hugo TT 2’s measured performance.

Sunday, February 17

12:30-1:30pm Chord Hugo M Scaler Technical Talk With Rob Watts
Rob Watts will be talking about the importance of transients for auditory perception, and how digital audio has problems in recreating transients accurately enough. He will then talk in detail about the Chord Electronics Hugo M Scaler, which guarantees better than 16-bit reconstruction of transients, with the one-million tap WTA filter employed in the Hugo M Scaler.

2pm-3pm CanJam NYC 2019 Personal Audio AMA (Ask Me Anything)
How do headphone engineers achieve their desired tuning? Will digital audio ever approach analog? How much do audio measurements really matter? You have questions. Bring them to the CanJam NYC 2019 Personal Audio AMA, and let our distinguished panel -- Paul Barton (NAD/PSB), Dan Clark (MrSpeakers), Dan Foley (Audio Precision and ALMA) and Rob Watts (Chord Electronics) -- answer them all. This panel will be moderated by Head-Fi staffer Warren Chi.
Ethan, is the Sennheiser HE-1 making rounds @ this years Canjam NYC?

Feb 7, 2019 at 12:25 PM Post #596 of 884
Not this time.
...heart.gif

Feb 7, 2019 at 1:42 PM Post #597 of 884
Show Specials for CanJam NYC! We'll be updating this list over the next week and will also provide attendees with a list at the Registration Desk.

NYC19_Head-Fi_Header_ShowSpecials copy.jpg

64 Audio

20% off the U12t, tio Trio, U18t, and tia Fourte
Visit booth to enter a giveaway to win a tia Trio, drawing will be on Sunday, February 17th at 3pm. Winner does not need to be present at time of drawing.
ADVANCED
20% off select products
Free Impressions for custom orders
Audio 46
Audio 46 will have multiple giveaways from final, Grado Labs and others. Visit booth for more details.
10% off CanJam Special, some Manufacturer Restrictions apply.
Benchmark Media Systems
10% off all A-Stock products, visit booth for more details
Visit booth for a chance to win a DAC3 B (winner does not need to be present to win)
Caprice Audio
15% off select products
Dekoni Audio
First 50 people to visit booth and sign up for email list get a free 4 pack set of Dekoni Nuggets
Every purchase of the Dekoni Blue gets a free Slappa headphone case
Raffle each day to give away a pair of Dekoni Blue
Empire Ears
15% off universal IEMs and 20% off custom IEMs
HIFIMAN
$279 (plus $10 shipping) show pricing for Sundara (SRP: $399)
iFi audio
Visit iFi audio at CanJam NYC and sign up for a chance to win an xCan amplifier, valued at $299. iFi will be giving away one xCAN each day!
JH Audio
up to 20% off custom IEMs purchased during the show and free ear impressions
Free IEM cleanings for current JH Audio customers
Kimber Kable
10% off on Kimber Kable products
Lenbrook
Visit the NAD and PSB at Booth C10 and sign up for a chance to win a NAD D 3045 Hybrid Digital DAC Amplifier valued at $700 as well as NAD and PSB headphones valued at up to $400 each
15% off NAD and PSB headphones
MrSpeakers
10% off at the show
MusicTeck
15% off at the show
15% off storewide with coupon code 2019NYCCANJAM (shop.musicteck.com)
Visit booth to enter giveaway promotions for: HiBy R3, Shanling ME100, and Cayin N3
Noble Audio
15% off customs for Katana and Encore
20% off universals
Qobuz
Free qobuz trial subscription - pick up your qobuz trial card at the Registration Desk
Redscape Audio
15% off Redscape 3D audio software
Rupert Neve Designs
Limited number of RNHP units at $399, visit booth for more details
Westone
30% off old W series line
25% off of the UM Pro, AM Pro, and custom lines
Woo Audio
10% off on Woo Audio products

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2019 at 1:46 PM Post #598 of 884