CanJam NYC 2019 (February 16-17, 2019)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 2, 2019 at 10:10 AM Post #91 of 884
Also I would suggest if you do go bring a set of headphones and a playlist you are familiar with to plug into their setups with an RCA or coax cable to compare and contrast with higher end phones. I brought all I could last year (MDR-1A/X00/HE-500); I ended up getting the Campfire Audio Cascade and later the Hiby R6. I was hesitant to go to the show because of my visual impairment but Im glad I did. Everyone was extremely helpful and friendly and I had the best time. You gotta go.
Oh wow that's really helpful I thought they might have had an RCA or coax cable readily available to use with my smartphone? I think after demoing some headphones yesterday I really am into the idea of going to this now. I think I'll definitely go now. Now to just wonder if I'll go on one day or both. RCA to 3.5mm and coax to 3.5mm will pretty much cover everything there right? Thanks for the help again!

Jan 2, 2019 at 11:00 AM Post #92 of 884
Oh wow that's really helpful I thought they might have had an RCA or coax cable readily available to use with my smartphone? I think after demoing some headphones yesterday I really am into the idea of going to this now. I think I'll definitely go now. Now to just wonder if I'll go on one day or both. RCA to 3.5mm and coax to 3.5mm will pretty much cover everything there right? Thanks for the help again!
If you've never been to one before - definitely both days!
In fact, even if you did go before - do both days :)

Jan 2, 2019 at 12:32 PM Post #93 of 884
Good ratings, good youtube reviews.

There's actually a John's Pizza located in Times Square. http://www.johnspizzerianyc.com/

As an ex-NYC Pizza snob, I can verify that the pizza at both John's Bleeker St. and John's Times SQ is similar. I'm not a huge fan of John's, as the crust is nice and charred due to the use of a coal oven, but the pies made are inconsistent. Most Times Square pizza places are tourist traps and I'd recommend venturing to at least 23rd St or up to 72nd St. for better pizza.

I prefer Joe's Pizza on Carmine St, there's also a location on Broadway btwn 40th and 41st St. And my favorite NY Slice is at Sal and Carmine's on Broadway between 101st and 102nd St.

These are the top 27 Pizzerias in NYC: https://www.seriouseats.com/2018/10/best-ny-pizza-slices-2018.html

For further NY Pizza recon and intel please visit: https://slice.seriouseats.com/

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2019 at 1:14 PM Post #94 of 884
If you've never been to one before - definitely both days!
In fact, even if you did go before - do both days :)
I would love to but it's mostly that I just might not be able to afford it or make it on both days. I just demoed like 5 headphones, and those took a while that makes me a little nervous to see if I'll be able to demo a lot of them. Does anyone know if the booths setup have an amp+dac setup and something to plug in your own smartphone with? And do the booths have a short time limit for each headphone you can demo?

Jan 2, 2019 at 1:21 PM Post #95 of 884
I would love to but it's mostly that I just might not be able to afford it or make it on both days. I just demoed like 5 headphones, and those took a while that makes me a little nervous to see if I'll be able to demo a lot of them. Does anyone know if the booths setup have an amp+dac setup and something to plug in your own smartphone with? And do the booths have a short time limit for each headphone you can demo?
Each company / booth is a little different...
They all have DAC + Amp. Some would allow for easily connecting your source (smartphone) and for some it is more of a hassle.
My suggestion: bring a cable from 3.5mm (I assume your smartphone has headphone out) to 2 x RCA. That would dramatically increase your chances of being able to plug to the Amp at the booth.
Others may have more / better suggestions :wink:

Jan 2, 2019 at 1:48 PM Post #97 of 884
There's actually a John's Pizza located in Times Square. http://www.johnspizzerianyc.com/

As an ex-NYC Pizza snob, I can verify that the pizza at both John's Bleeker St. and John's Times SQ is similar. I'm not a huge fan of John's, as the crust is nice and charred due to the use of a coal oven, but the pies made are inconsistent. Most Times Square pizza places are tourist traps and I'd recommend venturing to at least 23rd St or up to 72nd St. for better pizza.

I prefer Joe's Pizza on Carmine St, there's also a location on Broadway btwn 40th and 41st St. And my favorite NY Slice is at Sal and Carmine's on Broadway between 101st and 102nd St.

These are the top 27 Pizzerias in NYC: https://www.seriouseats.com/2018/10/best-ny-pizza-slices-2018.html

For further NY Pizza recon and intel please visit: https://slice.seriouseats.com/

My last video I watched about pizza the 2 guys did give Joe's their #1 rating, John's on Bleeker St they gave 2nd. I have been thinking of hitting up john's Times square for my Friday night meal, but I wasn't set on going there. Its just right around the corner from the hotel and has decent reviews. The pizza game you get 20 people, 20 different opinions.

Jan 2, 2019 at 1:48 PM Post #98 of 884
Each company / booth is a little different...
They all have DAC + Amp. Some would allow for easily connecting your source (smartphone) and for some it is more of a hassle.
My suggestion: bring a cable from 3.5mm (I assume your smartphone has headphone out) to 2 x RCA. That would dramatically increase your chances of being able to plug to the Amp at the booth.
Others may have more / better suggestions :wink:
Thanks I definitely have one ready then for the convention!

Jan 3, 2019 at 9:27 AM Post #99 of 884
Sundays are usually slower so that can help get to more tables, but then again the show ends earlier. People often say they are not the best way to test since there is a lot going on, but IMHO, that's mostly if you are testing open back products. The shows are a lot of fun, meeting faces behind the screens, having dinner etc with people, it just adds to the fun. Plan ahead, if you can make both days and spend more time, you can try more things, if you can make both, pick things you really want to hear and go for those. I always put my head-fi name on my badge, so wont be hard to find me if you swing by the Noble table.
It will be my first time attending and I will look for you at the Noble table. Tks.

Jan 3, 2019 at 7:33 PM Post #101 of 884
I am ready for the cold. Only $39.99 from Burlington.

reebok-Black-Sporty-Heavy-Weight-Hooded-Bubble-Jacket.jpeg

That's a good deal. Thanks for showing me this. I'm keeping an eye on the weather progression through February. I'll post on the Head-Fi FB Page if anything comes up.

Jan 3, 2019 at 7:44 PM Post #102 of 884
That's a good deal. Thanks for showing me this. I'm keeping an eye on the weather progression through February. I'll post on the Head-Fi FB Page if anything comes up.

I bought one before Xmas and took it back, I cant be 100% sure but it looked like the same coat but it was $49.99, when I went back shortly after Xmas, they had almost nothing in stock at multiple stores. The very next day I went back and they had new stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back