CanJam New York 2024 Impressions Thread (March 9-10, 2024)
Mar 9, 2024 at 6:29 PM Post #91 of 697
Mar 9, 2024 at 6:30 PM Post #92 of 697
Mar 9, 2024 at 6:33 PM Post #94 of 697
Bokeh Closed and Open…
IMG_1710.jpeg

Mar 9, 2024 at 6:33 PM Post #95 of 697
Photo dump from day one. Fun times and great people.
Thanks for sharing these!

I just broached the topic of CanJam SoCal in October with my spouse, and she said “you might have to go with someone else unless there’s something else I could do all day though.”

But hey, she’s cool with going to the LA area and doing something else while I’m nerding out with you all, or I can track down a friend who’d be interested. That’s good news in my book! 😂

Mar 9, 2024 at 6:34 PM Post #96 of 697
The Watercooler Gang

IMG_2427.jpeg

Mar 9, 2024 at 6:37 PM Post #97 of 697
Anyway, this is the definitely the most insane CanJam I've yet attended, by quite a margin!! Time for a quick nosh, and then down to hear the HE-1 at 2pm. Later.......
Thanks very much for sharing a great write-up!

Have fun, everyone!

Mar 9, 2024 at 6:57 PM Post #99 of 697
$7k skulls!

Kind of makes sense to have the nipple twister gear next to T & A, right? :blush:
The torsos were too sinful for me but I do like Theory and Application.
Had a great time today. Will follow-up soon with my photos of HPs and amps I focused on today.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2024 at 6:59 PM Post #100 of 697
Mar 9, 2024 at 7:00 PM Post #101 of 697
Last edited:
Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Mar 9, 2024 at 7:16 PM Post #102 of 697
I spent most time listening to portable gear. The most surprising was the Campfire Trifecta. I was almost sure I would leave with it but I listened to the VE10 beforehand and it left enough of an impression that I went back for more and left with that instead. Trifecta had a lot of impact and drive behind it with dimensional stage, very exciting sound.

The Aroma Fei Wan was probably my 2nd favorite but close to the Canpur CP622B. I wasn’t blown away by the UM Mason Soleil but I spent almost no time with it compared to the other two. The Fatfreq GR Maestro did not do anything for me. I can respect the bass impact but the overall sound felt blunted and I wasn’t sure I could live with it in the long run. I’m sure my opinion on this would change if I wasn’t previously doing rapid comparisons with the ultra detailed TOTL IEMs. And it had a huge shell and I didn’t love that. The one IEM I was not able to try was Nightjar Singularity and I’m bummed since that was on the top of my list.

I was the most impressed by Mass Kobo 475 amp. Hooked it up to my Sony Dap with the grounded cable and it was more dynamic with Annihilator. At least 1 level superior to my Cayin C9.

Attachments

• IMG_0241.jpeg
    IMG_0241.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Mar 9, 2024 at 7:24 PM Post #103 of 697
I have a 394 II and have listened to the 465 a few times. The latter is a step up with any headphone, imho, but I couldn't justify (or afford) the x3 price. The 394 II will drive anything with great control so I don't feel I'm missing out with harder to drive headphones. If you can afford a 465, it's an amazing amp but so's the 394 II (now discontinued).
Thank you. You’ve officially calmed my irrational desire for a 465. I’ll keep my 394ii and be happy.

Mar 9, 2024 at 7:26 PM Post #104 of 697
I spent most time listening to portable gear. The most surprising was the Campfire Trifecta. I was almost sure I would leave with it but I listened to the VE10 beforehand and it left enough of an impression that I went back for more and left with that instead. Trifecta had a lot of impact and drive behind it with dimensional stage, very exciting sound.

The Aroma Fei Wan was probably my 2nd favorite but close to the Canpur CP622B. I wasn’t blown away by the UM Mason Soleil but I spent almost no time with it compared to the other two. The Fatfreq GR Maestro did not do anything for me. I can respect the bass impact but the overall sound felt blunted and I wasn’t sure I could live with it in the long run. I’m sure my opinion on this would change if I wasn’t previously doing rapid comparisons with the ultra detailed TOTL IEMs. And it had a huge shell and I didn’t love that. The one IEM I was not able to try was Nightjar Singularity and I’m bummed since that was on the top of my list.

I was the most impressed by Mass Kobo 475 amp. Hooked it up to my Sony Dap with the grounded cable and it was more dynamic with Annihilator. At least 1 level superior to my Cayin C9.
Then you need to try it with the iBasso PB5 amp.

Mar 9, 2024 at 7:42 PM Post #105 of 697
but the treble seemed a bit peaky. The one I heard had thin pads on it, though, and I’m not overly fond of CO with the thin pads either so take my thoughts here with a grain of salt.
There's a chance someone might have changed out the pads on that unit, I'll hunt it down tomorrow. Caldera Closed should have hybrid Caldera Closed pads that are the medium thickness, or the super thick caldera thick caldera closed pads on them, both which were made just for the Caldera Closed. The thin pads will definitely sound quite different as the damping and airflow is totally not optimized for them, there will be about 5dB less bass and that'll make the treble way too prominent.

Someone asked me about the Caldera thin pads on it haha maybe that is why.

Last edited:
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back