CanJam New York 2024 Impressions Thread (March 9-10, 2024)
Mar 9, 2024 at 3:21 PM Post #61 of 707
Has anyone done a comparison of the Mass Kobo 394 II to the 465 for easier to drive headphones like meze elite or caldera?

I wonder if the 465 tops the 394 II only with hard to drive headphones or with all headphones....
I have a 394 II and have listened to the 465 a few times. The latter is a step up with any headphone, imho, but I couldn't justify (or afford) the x3 price. The 394 II will drive anything with great control so I don't feel I'm missing out with harder to drive headphones. If you can afford a 465, it's an amazing amp but so's the 394 II (now discontinued).

Mar 9, 2024 at 3:26 PM Post #62 of 707
I thought Jason said they would have it there today? Vali 3 I mean.

Mar 9, 2024 at 3:39 PM Post #63 of 707
Let's ask if there is a bundle deal for the amp and headphones....maybe an even 112k? :)

I'll buy the headphones you get the amp.
But can you lift that 120 lbs amp? Anyone need a forklift?

Mar 9, 2024 at 3:42 PM Post #64 of 707
Wait, how's that possible? The Bravura's a closed system as you can't bypass the DAC with another. Are you confusing it with the Aperio?
You can plug in a separate DAC to the Bravura, it just has an ADC inside, so no matter if you use the DAC input, or an outboard DAC, it gets converted to digital so it can be processed by their DSP. The Aperio has a traditional analog input, you are right.

Mar 9, 2024 at 3:46 PM Post #65 of 707
Good morning New York City. The first official meeting of the Watercooler gang took place last night at Becco Italian Restaurant. We are well rested and ready to rock and roll.

IMG_0123.jpeg

From left to right: @Rockwell75, @RTodd, @Frankie D, @HiFiHawaii808, @emdeevee, @Zachik , @goldwerger
Nice to see the faces behind the names! Have a great time this weekend!

Heh, that's me (bald head, black T-shirt) sitting down at the Headphones.com booth on the far right. I finally got to meet @GoldenSound (standing, to my left) after enjoying so many of his videos over the last few years. That was my first stop upon entering as I (finally) had a chance to hear the Bravura and Aperio (sans phone booth, unfortunately). They were having some server issues, but allowed me to plug my laptop into the GS Special Edition Wandla that was feeding the Bravura. I played a couple of upbeat tunes with potent bass in the mix, and the Bravura handled them beautifully. That was one of my issues with the original Sonoma (anemic bass), and they've clearly resolved that. The Sonoma was also too clampy for me, and the Bravura, while still snug, is far more comfortable. I concur with those who say it's a lot of headphone for the money. I didn't hear any clipping, but I did run out of gain on some other tracks I played which were mastered at lower volume. That was really my only niggle with the Bravura.

I wanted to then just move my laptop over to the GS SE Wandla feeding the Aperio for an apples-to-apples comparison, but they had the server back up and preferred that I play tracks off of that. Unfortunately, there was no Qobuz or Tidal, so I ended up playing a couple tracks (by Alt-J and Pliny) from Cameron's playlist, neither of which I was familiar with. Clearly not ideal, but I might be able to play my own tracks on the Aperio later this afternoon. TBD. In any case and under the circumstances, the Aperio didn't sound like that much of a step up from the Bravura, and certainly not something I'd pay 5x the price for!

From there, I decided to mosey around and make a general accounting of the wares on offer. The first room I entered was Mimic Audio, who had a few different Viva amps, all tubed of course. This included an estat amp (retailing for $23.5k) that wasn't even on my radar. Plugged into said amp was a Shangri-la Sr., with a STAX X9000 waiting off to the side. As an added bonus, all this was being fed by the variable volume version of my own DAC, the EMM Labs DV2 V2, with an Aurender something-or-another in front of that. I listened to a couple of tracks on both the Shang and X9000, and those cans sounded roughly on par on that system, both hugely resolving, but maybe not the absolute best I've heard them (although close). Unfortunately, I had no way to add a bass shelf.

Across the room were a couple of Viva amps for standard cans. The flagship amp was occupied, so I down at the "budget" model, which is still rather large and imposing. I will try to report prices and model numbers later if someone hasn't in the meantime. This amp was being fed by the Meitner MA3, which is the baby brother of the EMM Labs DV2 V2, with integrated streamer, and at a far lower cost. There were four headphones available: Caldera Closed, Atrium Closed, Valkyria, Diana MR. The CC was plugged in already, so I started there. In a word, fabulous! The midrange peakiness I heard on the Caldera (open) was nowhere in evidence. The staging was also very open for a closed-back can. I'm quite looking forward to following up with this headphone. I then moved on to the Valkyria. It looks better in hand than in photos, but I'm still not in love with the aesthetics. Unfortunately, I also didn't find the headphone particularly comfortable, but maybe I just needed to adjust it more. The sound was good, but on first blush, I preferred the Caldera Closed. I was listening to modern electronic pop (These Chains by Hot Chip), which is probably not the sweet spot for the Valkyria. I'll feed it some classical when I revisit it later in the show. Finally, I tried the Diana MR. Easily the most comfortable headphone I've ever worn from Abyss, and I really liked the tuning as well! Definitely a headphone I plan to re-audition at some point this weekend.

I wanted to try the Atrium Closed, but @chrisnyc75 had been waiting to listen for several minutes, and so I yielded the seat. It was great to meet him, and we briefly discussed our limited impressions so far.

Right next door to Mimic was the ZMF room, which was predictably already fairly packed. I'm planning to postpone my auditioning time there until Sunday morning, when the crowd is typically most sparse, but my Susvara stock pads have noticeably chipped away along the edges, and ZMF just released Susvara replacement pads, which fortuitously are available at the show. I introduced myself to Zach (who comes across, to me, as more of a Zen master in person than on video), told him I wanted whichever of the two pad options sounded closest to stock, and he handed me some perforated lambskin, told me to install them on my Susvara at my leisure, and see if they worked for me. After surveying the rest of the exhibits without listening to anything, I headed back up to my hotel room to do the pad switch. I've been listening to the Susvara with the ZMF pads while typing all of this, and they do indeed sound quite similar to the stock pads. Bass may be ever-so-slightly diminished, which is rarely a good thing in my book, so I plan to try the other ZMF variant before finalizing the purchase. Will update later.

Anyway, this is the definitely the most insane CanJam I've yet attended, by quite a margin!! Time for a quick nosh, and then down to hear the HE-1 at 2pm. Later.......
Which amp are you using to drive the Susvara in the hotel room?

Mar 9, 2024 at 4:09 PM Post #66 of 707
They are waiting for metal parts, so maybe a few weeks away
Did you catch what tube the Vali3 is using? Still the 6N3P, 5670, 2C51, CV4013, ECC42, WE396A types?

Mar 9, 2024 at 4:38 PM Post #70 of 707
Unable to attend, unfortunately, but was hoping for more comments and impressions on the zmf/ Lord Gwynn Aegis amp and the closed Caldera??? Also wondering if the LTA Aero dac is making an appearance? Thanks for any input! Have a great time all…
The LTA aero is there

Mar 9, 2024 at 4:45 PM Post #71 of 707
Any impressions on the Singularity from those who've also tried the TS-316 (or own it) are appreciated.
I've owned both. They're both excellent. The Singularity has better/more prominent bass and is a bit more refined. It is also 2x the price. If it were 20% more expensive I'd say it's worth it. The TS-316 is one of the best deals today. It's a tremendous value in my opinion.

Mar 9, 2024 at 4:53 PM Post #72 of 707
Let's ask if there is a bundle deal for the amp and headphones....maybe an even 112k? :)

I'll buy the headphones you get the amp.
you kid! I bet it sounds spectacular. Those headphones are absolutely gorgeous, and with my neuropathy, completely out of my budget.

you kid! I bet it sounds spectacular. Those headphones are absolutely gorgeous, and with my neuropathy, completely out of my budget.
Amazing what a terminal illness does to an audio budget. Good thing I like what I have...

Mar 9, 2024 at 5:01 PM Post #73 of 707
Did you catch what tube the Vali3 is using? Still the 6N3P, 5670, 2C51, CV4013, ECC42, WE396A types?
Same as the old one
IMG_1703.jpeg

Mar 9, 2024 at 5:01 PM Post #74 of 707
This is the single best Headphone AMP I have ever heard. It's not even close. I got to hear it with the Audio Technica ATH-AWKG and Susvara. It is so good that you need to be aware of the source files you feed it because it will render bad music as it is. The subbbass nuance is amazing.

ATH.jpeg
If I got a penny every time I heard that remark here on head-fi....

Mar 9, 2024 at 5:02 PM Post #75 of 707
I've owned both. They're both excellent. The Singularity has better/more prominent bass and is a bit more refined. It is also 2x the price. If it were 20% more expensive I'd say it's worth it. The TS-316 is one of the best deals today. It's a tremendous value in my opinion.

I assume you might mean less expensive, unless if you mean that the Singularity would be worth the extra cash if the TS-316 were 20% more expensive than it currently is. I can't get up there to try it, but I very much like prominent high quality bass which is why I wish I could give it a spin.

You are also the only one I really know who has been able to try both and give input, so I figured I'd get other impressions if possible since it never hurts.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back