CanJam New York 2024 Impressions Thread (March 9-10, 2024)
Mar 9, 2024 at 7:47 PM Post #106 of 707
Just home from CanJam, it was quite a show this year! A few brief impressions:

• Raal Magna & Immanis impressed, as promised. Immanis more so than Magna, but both were amazing. If you’re looking for bass weight and body to the sound, you won’t find it here. But if you want clarity & openness beyond what even e-stats deliver, you’ve come to the right place.
  • Valkyria didn’t impress me quite as much as last year. Very midrangey with incredible clarity & dynamics. Similar to Utopia, but maybe a bit less balanced. Not sure why my impression this year is so different from last year - different chain, different ears? 🤷‍♂️
  • Caldera’s bass is at least equal to if not better than 1266 TC. Fight me.
  • Caldera Closed was a mixed bag. I could definitely hear the Caldera DNA in it, but it was quite different from Caldera Open. Bit more soundstagey than CO, but the treble seemed a bit peaky. The one I heard had thin pads on it, though, and I’m not overly fond of CO with the thin pads either so take my thoughts here with a grain of salt.
  • I really liked the looks of the new ZMF Aegis, though I didn’t have a chance to hear it with anything other than CO, so I can’t really comment on the sound.
  • Tungsten deserves every bit of the hype. Heard it on the HeadTrip amp and had to turn the volume DOWN a notch when I switched to Susvara. Very much in the same lane as ZMF Caldera; quite different from Susvara.
  • FIR Audio RN6 impressed every bit as much as the hype would suggest. Really well balanced, weighty sound with excellent timbre & clarity.
  • Canpur CP622B wasn’t my jam. Too midrangey & thin, didn’t line up at all with the reviews I’ve read (maybe I had the wrong tips on them?). Its little brother Canpur CP54E, on the other hand, at half the cost of its big brother, was a surprise hit. Solid Legend EVO / FatFreq competition.
  • Campfire Audio Trifecta was perhaps the biggest surprise of the day. I spent about 15 minutes listening to it just trying to understand what I was hearing. These do things I’ve never heard an iem do before, though a brief listen isn’t enough to figure out whether it’s revelatory or a gimmick that would get old fast. Definitely on my radar for further consideration, though.
  • Got to listen to Susvara on 4 or 5 different chains and think I finally understand why it is so beloved. It does wide open soundstage in such a holographic organic way that I think it may sound more like a e-stat or ribbon than it sounds like any other planar or dynamic.
  • Warwick Aperio did indeed come across as the most complete, even-keeled, “does absolutely everything well” system I’ve ever heard. Wide open soundstage? Check. Perfect timbre? Check. Deep dynamic bass? Check. Subbass rumble? Check. It does no wrong. I could easily be happy with just this and nothing else if I didn’t already have a rack full of gear.
  • HE-1 was every bit as amazing as its legend suggests. It made average to above average recordings sound almost like binaural recordings. I listened to my favorite song of all time and it sounded as live and impactful as I’ve ever heard it. I can’t fathom spending $70K on it, nonetheless it probably deserves its reputation as THE best headphone in the world. *SPECIAL THANKS to @szore for sharing his demo slot with me - it was great meeting you!
  • Led Zeppelin II on reel-to-reel via WA33 + 1266 TC was positively jaw dropping. I’ve never heard reel-to-reel before, the sense of being just 1 step removed from the live performance is very real. It’s a shame the cost of entry and availability of tapes puts this out of reach of anyone without very deep pockets. I’m grateful to the Abyss guys for lugging that to NYC for us, though, it was a real treat to hear.
My biggest takeaways are probably the question whether Campfire Trifecta is a revelation or a gimmick, and that there is almost certainly a Susvara in my future.

It was great seeing & meeting many of you there, I’m only sorry I didn’t have it in me to stick around longer to hang out with my fellow head-fi nutjobs. :wink: By early afternoon that crowd gets to me, my battery runs out, and I have to retreat back to my cave. :wink:
I for one found Caldera closed to have more sub bass and mid bass. Tried it with various amp.
IMG_1712.jpeg

Mar 9, 2024 at 8:02 PM Post #107 of 707
Finally got a chance to listen to HE-1. The host was gracious and was friendly. Top mark to him. I was expecting a reference sound but it was a lot better tuned and was to my liking. Price is not however. Good bass and mid bass and treble had energy but not thrown to the face. I was expecting super 800
IMG_1701.jpeg

Also enjoyed below setup with various Stax. This whole setup is huge in size.

IMG_1716.jpeg

MJ3 and DCA Expanse was a surprise package for me. MJ3 really works well with Expanse. Made it sing and gave good body.

Raal 2 Ribbon and 3 Ribbon were something I never experienced before. However not for everyone but the snappiness of transients was something to behold. 3 Ribbon was little sharper but wider. 2 Ribbon was more to my liking. With good DAC and amp these are end game headphones. Silver one is 2 Ribbon and gold one is 3 ribbon.
IMG_1687.jpeg

IMG_1686.jpeg

Got a chance to try Tungsten today. Not a fan but I can see the appeal. Also it was crazy loud environment
IMG_1695.jpeg

In IEM, I tried the proto Nightjar Duality. I’m a fan of Singularity and it has the same DNA. I would say Duality is singularity + Sub bass and impact and slightly cleaner mid bass.

Will try more IEMs tomorrow as today was headphone day.

Best part of the day was getting ear impression done. I’m getting custom XE6 and who better then @bogdan belonozhko himself taking my impression. Worth a trip to Canjam only for this.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2024 at 8:12 PM Post #108 of 707
Thank you. You’ve officially calmed my irrational desire for a 465. I’ll keep my 394ii and be happy.
A rare, rare type of post indeed for this forum. 😉

Mar 9, 2024 at 8:12 PM Post #109 of 707
This is ok
IMG_1676.jpeg

But what is this ??
IMG_1677.jpeg

Mar 9, 2024 at 9:03 PM Post #110 of 707
This is ok
But what is this ??
It's the devil👿
Too sinful for me. Just kidding, it may sound great but the design is something else.

Mar 9, 2024 at 9:10 PM Post #111 of 707
A rare, rare type of post indeed for this forum. 😉
Don’t give me too much credit. I’m still irrational regarding tube amps.

Mar 9, 2024 at 9:14 PM Post #112 of 707
The bokeh open finish looks really good!

IMG_0513.jpegIMG_0514.jpeg
Interested to hear how they sound.

Sadly something about the grill pattern makes my skin crawl (trypophobia ftw lol), so I don't think I'll be getting one, despite how much I'd love to have an open Bokeh to go along with the closed one.

Mar 9, 2024 at 9:20 PM Post #113 of 707
Have to say this Canjam was lot more noisier compared to previous years…
Difficult to form any opinion….
Have to turn up volume really high…hopefully no long term damage.

Does Campfire have highest number of products in their portfolio out of all other manufacturers in IEM world?
I don’t know which one to try…
IMG_1720.jpeg

Mar 9, 2024 at 9:42 PM Post #114 of 707
Does Campfire have maximum number of products in their portfolio out of all other manufacturers in IEM world?
Go down the list by price.
I also would like to recommend having a noise canceling headphone like AirPod max placed on top of the IEMs. Then your IEM will sound phenomenal. And if you don’t have noise canceling, at least you’ll find out if the IEM design is good enough to isolate the music.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2024 at 9:53 PM Post #116 of 707
Does Campfire have highest number of products in their portfolio out of all other manufacturers in IEM world?
IMG_1720.jpeg
I tried most of them today. I liked Solaris Horizon best followed by the Trifecta. Others aren’t really on the same level.

Mar 9, 2024 at 9:59 PM Post #117 of 707
Mar 9, 2024 at 10:15 PM Post #119 of 707

Users who are viewing this thread

Back