CanJam London 2016 Impressions Thread (August 13-14, 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 17, 2016 at 4:50 PM Post #211 of 364

It may not have been politically-correct, but I didn't interpret it as racist. It struck me more as a wry dig at unfortunate societal shortcomings.

But I can see how it's open to differing interpretations.

I didn't make any 'interpretations' and certainly didn't use the 'r' word. Strange that you did though.

Never met @glassmonkey but you may owe him an apology for even implying that word. The jest may have been a poor attempt at humor but I didn't think of it as anything more than that.

Also strange how you describe occurrences where people are sometimes executed as 'unfortunate societal shortcomings.'

But Head-Fi really isn't the place for this type of stuff. I reluctantly posted to remind us all of that. No need to go back and forth off topic.

Aug 17, 2016 at 5:23 PM Post #212 of 364

Also strange how you describe occurrences where people are sometimes executed as 'unfortunate societal shortcomings.'

Wow - where did that come from? I made absolutely no reference to 'that incident'.

The joke was about traffic stops - it may have been sailing a little close to poor taste, but I was neither referring to the incident you mentioned, nor was I getting at you.

My post was quite amicable, actually. If you care to check Currawong's funny posts thread, you'll see I already mentioned that I did not interpret it as being an offensive post. Others may interpret it as offensive, and that is their prerogative (and I can understand why they might do that).

I read the broader context and did not detect any mal-intent in the joke, because, as I said, I did not feel it was actually intended to be derogative, but more a wry snipe at some stereotypes in society. The world does not revolve around what happens in the USA.
Stereotypes exist elsewhere, without the extremes that occasionally happen in the USA.

Anyway, none of this is mean argumentatively, and zero intent to derail the thread. Just needed to clarify my previous reply.

beerchug.gif

Aug 17, 2016 at 5:40 PM Post #213 of 364
Back on-topic, I am intrigued to see such overwhelmingly-positive feedback to the Ether C Flow cans.

Cans aren't really my thing, but I'm going to have to have a listen to the ECFs.

Can anyone confirm if they sing with Mojo?

Aug 17, 2016 at 5:44 PM Post #214 of 364
  Back on-topic, I am intrigued to see such overwhelmingly-positive feedback to the Ether C Flow cans.

Cans aren't really my thing, but I'm going to have to have a listen to the ECFs.

Tried them with my Mojo for a while on Saturday and seemed like a damn nice combination to me! Going to get the open Flow though as I preferred the sound signature but that is completely personal preference. I would say though you have to have the volume set fairly high which will eat up the battery if you are planning to use it on the go.

Aug 17, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #215 of 364

Tried them with my Mojo for a while on Saturday and seemed like a damn nice combination to me! Going to get the open Flow though as I preferred the sound signature but that is completely personal preference. I would say though you have to have the volume set fairly high which will eat up the battery if you are planning to use it on the go.

So, are the Ethers (open OR closed), just a generally current-hungry pair of cans?  (not meant critically)

Aug 17, 2016 at 5:51 PM Post #216 of 364
I listened to Ether Flow open with Hugo. Was blown away really by the sound. I suppose Hugo may have more power but not sure.
I will place an order for the Ether when available in the uk :D

Aug 17, 2016 at 5:51 PM Post #217 of 364
 "When listening to Daft Punk - Georgio by Maroder playing..."

This may sound like nitpicking, but his name is Giovanni Giorgio Moroder and the track title is Giorgo by Moroder. He even says it in the spoken intro: "My name is Giovanni Giorgio, but everybody calls me Giorgio".
wink.gif

Aug 17, 2016 at 5:52 PM Post #218 of 364

So, are the Ethers (open OR closed), just a generally current-hungry pair of cans?  (not meant critically)

Not really, just the Mojo isn't the most powerful amp ever. If it helps for reference I have to have the setting higher for the Ether than I do for my DT1770 for the same volume output.

Aug 17, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #219 of 364
I listened to Ether Flow open with Hugo. Was blown away really by the sound. I suppose Hugo may have more power but not sure.
I will place an order for the Ether when available in the uk
biggrin.gif

No, according to Rob Watts, Mojo uses physically-smaller transistors than Hugo, but nonetheless offers the same power output as Hugo:

until someone can measure it ... volume may be the same, what about current
triportsad.gif

The earlier prototypes had less current than Hugo - 0.2A RMS. But last Feb we were with Nelson (Malaysian distributor) and I showed him the prototype. He brought some headphones, and we compared it to Hugo - and it was bad, a lot of clipping from Mojo, none from Hugo. It so happened (luckily) Nelson gave us possibly the only 8 ohm headphones on the market Final Audio Pandora.

So I upgraded the current to match Hugo, its the same 0.5A RMS. To do this I used 6 small OP transistors in parallel as size would not permit use of the large devices I use in Hugo.

Mojo development had some weird fortuitous events - the first time we showed the prototype happened to use the only 8 ohm headphones that would show problems - and the day we were deciding on the design Xilinx emailed me with a new FPGA that would enable Hugo performance but with the needed power, and happened to be in production just in time for Mojo. 

Not really, just the Mojo isn't the most powerful amp ever. If it helps for reference I have to have the setting higher for the Ether than I do for my DT1770 for the same volume output.

LOL, so it's Mojo's fault, but it's also Ether's fault?! LOL

Aug 17, 2016 at 6:00 PM Post #220 of 364
Well, depending on use e.g. Desktop rig, you could add an amplifier and use Mojo as DAC. An extremely good DAC in Mojo's case:D

Aug 17, 2016 at 6:02 PM Post #221 of 364

Can I wind the clock back and visit the Ethers! Took my Mojo stack to at least 15 iems but only about 4 headphones. Which is about double last year's phones! But all the rave comments, I feel I should have listened.

Aug 17, 2016 at 7:02 PM Post #224 of 364

The background was so black that it would get pulled over by the cops at three times the average rate.

Good impressions.

Would've been great if not for the joke about traffic stops.

My dad is a guy who had a ZZ Top beard for much of my life, for that he got pulled over thrice in a year for nothing. My brother got pulled over six times in a year for driving a red Firebird, he ended up getting out of a legit ticket because the officer thought my brother was being unjustly harassed. It's not funny that they did better in these encounters because they look more like me. I was thinking of Maurice's experience at the airport when I wrote the joke. I take the subject seriously, maybe I'm not the one who should make that joke. I don't think I would have been persecuted at the airport. I did not mean to offend. The joke was meant to be painful in it's truth. Not everyone has the same sense of humour.

My apologies for any offence caused.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back