CanJam Global 2018 Event Thread (NYC, Singapore, SoCal, London, RMAF, Shanghai)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 27, 2018 at 3:49 PM Post #211 of 1,303
I will be there at the NYC CanJam on Saturday. I’ll have a few items with me that will not be exhibited at the show, if anyone wants to hear them...

Sony WM1A (I’m sure Sony will have one)
InEar Prophile 8
Massdrop Plus IEM (Pre-production)
Massdrop x NuForce EDC3 IEM (Pre-production)

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2018 at 2:20 PM Post #212 of 1,303
CanJam NYC 2018 Attendees! Register here to experience the Sennheiser HE 1 - the legendary Orpheus - Reborn! Listening slots are available on a first come first serve basis, and please note that one listening slot is allowed per registered CanJam attendee. You will need to input your CanJam Eventbrite ticket number in the form, CanJam NYC Volunteers can input "Volunteer" in this field.

The HE 1 will be in a private (and quiet) room, called Music Box, and adjacent to the Broadway Ballroom, the main CanJam NYC 2018 space. Listening sessions are limited to the provided music source and external sources will not be allowed.

Am I the only person that finds this approach to demos obnoxiously conceited, on Sennheiser's part?

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #213 of 1,303

Am I the only person that finds this approach to demos obnoxiously conceited, on Sennheiser's part?

While I understand why you may think that, and I do have some issues with how Sennheiser is doing it, it is understandable on their part. It is an extremely desired headphone to demo. Extremely. And it is also a scarce one. Since it costs ~$50,000, they aren't going to bring more than one to the CanJam. Therefore, if they didn't do this scheduling, everyone would be fighting to get in to demo it, and some people might take a long time and deny others the opportunity. Also, since it is open, demoing it on the noisy show floor is definitely less than ideal. The private room is much better. So this scheduling system prevents people from having to wait to hear it, while also making sure no one takes too long. My only complaint is that they pick the source, and you therefore probably can't choose the exact songs you get to listen to.

Luckily, I got to spend a half hour with it at the Sennheiser NYC popup store last year, which was incredible. That one was hooked up to Tidal so I got to hear what I wanted.

Jan 29, 2018 at 9:03 AM Post #214 of 1,303

I don't know if you are the only person or not but I don't think it either conceited or obnoxious. It gives folks a chance to hear a state of the art system in surroundings which are not subject to the maelstrom of noise in the main booth arena. I went to the Can Jam in London last year and the main area was very noisy at times which made critical listening with open back headphones quite difficult. Sonoma , Smyth Realiser and Sennheiser HE1 all had rooms upstairs which were an oasis of calm but I found none of them to be conceited or obnoxious........quite the opposite.

Of course if you are offended by Sennheiser or Sonoma or Smyth you don't have to visit.

Jan 29, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #216 of 1,303
@Jude, can you also have Axel Grell discus the HDV 820 and their design choices in tuning it for the HD 820? The HDV 820 is a very unusual amplifier and Sennheiser clearly has a different understanding and philosophy with things like its 40Ω ouput impedance and midrange tuning. Understanding how the HD 820 and HD 800 S are intended to be driven should be a big part of this discussion.

I also hope the presentations are streamed/recorded for other Head-Fi members.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2018 at 4:50 PM Post #219 of 1,303
Logistics: First time going to CanJam. What do I bring? Should I tote along my own headphones or amplifier or devices filled with my favorite songs? Can I bring a backpack?
You'll have a blast! Going to be my 4th CanJam... :wink:
Yes, you can bring a backpack.
You can definitely bring your own IEMs and Headphones!
I always bring a small DAP with me, to test IEMs / easy to drive headphones, and also in some cases to use as source for whatever Amp is being auditioned. Not always can be used for that, but my little DAP for that purpose (FiiO X3II) is small and fits my pocket :)

Jan 29, 2018 at 4:58 PM Post #220 of 1,303
Ugh, are you guy's going to have the T-shirts again? Since I didn't get one last year. It was lost or something. I don't know how big your 3xl is... Is 4xl available? I ate a little more cheeseburger's from this point in time last year until now. lol
PeteSTRADAMUS - 3xl - or 4xl - NYC

Jan 29, 2018 at 6:04 PM Post #221 of 1,303
Folks, iFi will attend Canjam NY. Come&see us! We'll showcase our upcoming Pro iDSD, we'll have Pro iRack on display, there's going to be a press conference at 12:00 on Saturday (17th of February) regarding launch of Pro iDSD and pro iRack.

See you there!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jan 30, 2018 at 12:58 PM Post #224 of 1,303
Why am I so excited for HD820 ? That is right, I am a huge fan of Closedback design for more privacy

Sounds like you have some 'guilty pleasure' taste in music! (almost anyone who really likes music has some tracks/artists they're a little shy about others hearing)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back