CanJam at RMAF 2014 impressions
Oct 21, 2014 at 7:26 AM Post #346 of 441
ahh, any more impressions of the noble K10 universal?
Im scouting for a new IEM, Im inclined to universal, but for this money spent, im contemplating whether i should go for a custom.

Oct 21, 2014 at 7:58 AM Post #347 of 441
  ahh, any more impressions of the noble K10 universal?
Im scouting for a new IEM, Im inclined to universal, but for this money spent, im contemplating whether i should go for a custom.

If you have small ear canals, definitely try them before you buy them.  They sounded fantastic to me, but I found it hard to get the seal I wanted without a little pain.  Probably could be solved quickly with different tips, but Noble's universals were uniformly hard on my ears at CanJam.  I'd do custom 10s all day long, and would be ordering right now if I had the scratch.  

Oct 21, 2014 at 8:41 AM Post #348 of 441

If you have small ear canals, definitely try them before you buy them.  They sounded fantastic to me, but I found it hard to get the seal I wanted without a little pain.  Probably could be solved quickly with different tips, but Noble's universals were uniformly hard on my ears at CanJam.  I'd do custom 10s all day long, and would be ordering right now if I had the scratch.  

Agreed. In fact, none of the "ciems cum universals" at can jam were comfortable, and according to the audiologist who took my impressions, my ear canals are pretty unremakable. In fact, if I were to go with a universal, I'd probably stick to something like westone or shure, or some other universal whose design isn't compromised so they can have both a universal and a custom. All the "testers" at can jam felt like I was wearing someone else's customs.

Oct 21, 2014 at 9:27 AM Post #349 of 441

Try it before you buy it is always great advice, especially for these amounts. 

I listened to all the TOTL IEMs at CanJam and didn't have a problem with the K10 Universals. In fact I liked them so much I ordered a pair of the Custom K10's at the show. 

I also agree with Senorx that the Westone's were probably the easiest of the Universals to wear, if that is your primary concern. However, the K10's spanked their top IEMs IMO. 

If fit is an issue I'd recommend customs as they you'll never have to worry about it. Also, Brannan and crew are stand-up/honest/high integrity people in my experience. If they see any types of issues in your ear anatomy and/or impressions they'll let you know. For example Brannan shot my impressions at the show, but then his lab people felt they didn't go quite deep enough into my canal, so Noble is now paying for me to have them redone at my local audiologist since part of the deal of buying at RMAF/CanJam was free impressions. Also they're holding my spot in line so I don't lose time while redoing my impressions. And I didn't even have to ask for these concessions, they offered them upfront as soon as they realized there was an issue with the impressions. Awesome customer service and customer focus - one of the reasons other than awesome SQ to buy from Noble (which really is No-Bull!). 

Cheers 

Oct 21, 2014 at 9:51 AM Post #350 of 441
thanks guys! definitely great replies!
sadly no chance to try the K10s here, I live down under. but im looking to get only one and 'the best', and so noble it is. 
My purchase is solely review driven, and I can certainly see Noble's devotion there mscott58.
CIEMS will be a whole new experience for me, and trying new things takes courage and quite some self convincing : )
"If you have small ear canals" how small is small (like squeezing cotton buds)? my right canal is bigger than the left as i know.

Oct 21, 2014 at 10:09 AM Post #351 of 441
sadly no chance to try the K10s here, I live down under. but im looking to get only one and 'the best', and so noble it is. 
My purchase is solely review driven, and I can certainly see Noble's devotion there mscott58.
CIEMS will be a whole new experience for me, and trying new things takes courage and quite some self convincing : )
"If you have small ear canals" how small is small (like squeezing cotton buds)? my right canal is bigger than the left as i know.

A good audiologist who is used to taking CIEM impressions should know if your ear canals will be an issue. You can (and should) also ask Brannan and crew about it. 

Also you might be pleasantly surprised by Noble's recent Facebook posting: "Also, we have some exciting news to share for all our friends in Australia, New Zealand, and Japan this week. Please stay tuned!" Maybe  you will be able to try them out soon down under!

Cheers

Oct 21, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #352 of 441

Small ear canals:  I learned I have smallish ear canals accidentally...by starting out with the biggest tips on my Shures when I first got 'em, then going to the mid-sized, and finally the smallest ones before they were comfortable.  If you happen to hit firing ranges and/or have tried on off-the-shelf in-ear plugs, it's pretty much the same thing:  if you found the biggest plugs uncomfortable and had to go down to the smallest size to reduce pain and discomfort, you might have smallish ear canals.  

(Clearly this is totally objective and scientific analysis of the highest quality.)

Oct 21, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #353 of 441
Day 1 was amazing. Let's hear your stories.

I wished this could be covered.

http://thesubpac.com/order/subpac-s1/

Really curious what fellow headfi addicts would have to say about this paired with quality sources. :wink:

Oct 21, 2014 at 10:46 PM Post #354 of 441
Oct 21, 2014 at 11:00 PM Post #355 of 441
I wished this could be covered.

http://thesubpac.com/order/subpac-s1/

Really curious what fellow headfi addicts would have to say about this paired with quality sources.
wink.gif

The Subpac has been mentioned a few times on Head-Fi, but not much: http://www.head-fi.org/newsearch?search=subpac

The first time I heard it was at the last LA Head-Fi meet. Since then, I have had a demo S1 unit on my chair for a while and have really been enjoying it more and more. I actually miss it quite a bit when I have to listen without it. (And I am no bass head by any stretch.)

For anyone local to southern California, someone from SUBPAC will be at the San Diego meet on November 1st, 2014.

I don't want to derail this thread though since it wasn't shown at CanJam and I didn't go either. 

Oct 21, 2014 at 11:58 PM Post #357 of 441
^^^^ guys thank you so much. I was/am anxious to hear more impressions about this portable sub. I am certainly more interested in the larger/non travel version. I had the privilege of testing out this product in Toronto, Canada today at W.E.S.T expo. I was blown away how accurate the low frequency response is! I think I really must incorporate this into my headphone listening experience. Apparently subpac will be partnering with AUDEZE as told by a rep to me today. I am really excited.

Oct 23, 2014 at 7:17 PM Post #359 of 441
  I wish I'd been able to spend more time at the show, especially in order to meet fellow Head-Fiers, but I was crammed for time as it was. Just a heads-up for the local Colorado folks that I didn't get to meet: there's a decent chance that I might be organizing a regional Colorado meet next year in early summer, so keep your eyes peeled over in the Meets forum around March 2015 for that announcement.

You might want to consider a northern Colorado location. Everyone that replied to this year's (failed) thread was north of Denver, and I know of a couple other members in Longmont and Fort Collins. I'm even farther north than that. (Larry is in the springs though.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back