Canada...3rd world when it comes to electronics?
Feb 22, 2006 at 2:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 64

X-Nemesis

Head-Fier
What do you think. I get the impression that we don't really get much of the selection that other parts of the world get when it comes to electronics...DAP's from this pov.

As an example...Iaudio is hardly available at any stores here...NCIX being one of the few...the u3 isn't even sold anywhere at all that I could find. The sandisk 4g flash player...nowhere...the new e200's...doubt it. Gigabeat S series...maybe. Now I know that there are a crap load of daps out there that are Available only in Asia but still...I guess with such a small population we're not seen as much of a market?

And most of the US companies don't ship to us...their biggest trading partner. It's nice to be able to buy locally and pick up an extended warranty if so wanted. And not have to worry about border fees and the hassle of returns and such.

Buying the 2gig U3 from Ecost would run me close to $400 last time I checked...ouch!

Feb 22, 2006 at 3:22 AM Post #3 of 64
Also, prices definitely haven't adjusted on most consumer electronics to reflect the strength of the Canadian dollar versus other world currencies. Compare the prices of AV receivers at Future Shop versus the US prices.

Blame lax Canadian fraud laws for so many US retailers no longer shipping to Canada. Most used to, but a lot got scammed and gave up. Believe it or not, fraud under $5000 is not a criminal offense in Canada.

eBay is the best solution. Lots of great deals there, especially with the dollar now within 14% of the US dollar. Because of all the scamming, many US sellers won't ship to Canada, but if you build up enough positive feedback and ask nicely, many will make an exception for you. Make sure you get them to ship via USPS because otherwise the border fees are ridiculous.

Feb 22, 2006 at 3:23 AM Post #4 of 64
i got my u3 for bout 315cdn and that was in dec... it was off ebay though... but yah most of the stuff that u want is in asia... just look around u and tell me how many white earphones u see in canada/america

Feb 22, 2006 at 3:25 AM Post #5 of 64
I hear you man. It's the same thing with computer hardware it seems. We get it later and pay more and never mind ordering online from out of the country (even the US) because you'll get slapped with dumb customers/brokerage fees.

I hear your frustration.

By the way I saw the IAudio X5 (not X5L even and only the 20GB model) at staples for $349.99 if you check their website. I just checked amazon.com and the same player is $249.99 USD... Yea, that converts to $283.44... (yea ok that price is on sale at Amazon right now but still) now add 15% sales tax (in Ontario anyhow) to $349,99... That's right for an IAudio X5 20GB costs $402.49 CAD which converts to $350.73 USD...

No choice but to eat it. There are countrires with higher taxes and higher costs (such as in some areas of Europe from what I hear).

Feb 22, 2006 at 3:30 AM Post #6 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by X-Nemesis
What do you think. I get the impression that we don't really get much of the selection that other parts of the world get when it comes to electronics...DAP's from this pov.

As an example...Iaudio is hardly available at any stores here...NCIX being one of the few...the u3 isn't even sold anywhere at all that I could find. The sandisk 4g flash player...nowhere...the new e200's...doubt it. Gigabeat S series...maybe. Now I know that there are a crap load of daps out there that are Available only in Asia but still...I guess with such a small population we're not seen as much of a market?

And most of the US companies don't ship to us...their biggest trading partner. It's nice to be able to buy locally and pick up an extended warranty if so wanted. And not have to worry about border fees and the hassle of returns and such.

Buying the 2gig U3 from Ecost would run me close to $400 last time I checked...ouch!

This is not much different than the US offline.

Feb 22, 2006 at 3:46 AM Post #7 of 64
If it makes you feel any better, Australia and New Zealand are in the same situation. They are faily close to Asia, where most electronics are made, how selection is not always that great and things are expensive too.

rolleyes.gif

Feb 22, 2006 at 4:17 AM Post #9 of 64
Its funny how local laws can really gunk up the works

my personal favorite in the US is the law that makes kinder eggs illeagal to sell (and import ...must be a huge illicite chocolate egg market brewing)

unfortunatly i think the problem is only going to get worse...what with all this talk of tightening the US- canadian border

the for sale forum is where i would go if i where faced with such outragous price imbalences

Feb 22, 2006 at 5:29 AM Post #10 of 64
Seriously, everything is overpriced up here, at least in major retail chains. Although I must admit there's this huge asian mall up here in Toronto that sometimes carries Asia's latest and greatest tech toys. Also, if you look a bit deeper, there can be great finds in stores in and around the city. Good thing about being Canadian: the Canadian dollar getting stronger and stronger, making it possible to get electronics from the States for a really good price.

Feb 22, 2006 at 8:27 AM Post #11 of 64
AlanY,

Hum... How do you figure that fraud under $5000 is not an criminal offence in Canada?

The selection is indeed lacking in Canada. Even if you purchase things online from US companies, you are going to be slapped with a bunch of taxes and brokerage fees. It kind of sucks when collecting duties is THE primary function of the Canadian CBSA.

Feb 22, 2006 at 8:58 AM Post #12 of 64
It's Canada Customs. They make it a pain for individuals to import things, and make it an even bigger pain for corporations to import things. Me and my bud looked into setting up a Japan-Canada importing company a few years ago... they make you jump through so many hoops, then they make you pay. Ah, well, it's a good thing the border officers are quite lax.
wink.gif

Feb 22, 2006 at 3:53 PM Post #13 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by sitrus_o9
Ah, well, it's a good thing the border officers are quite lax.
wink.gif

Yeah, I recommend driving dornw to Buffalo, Detroit, Seattle, etc. and doing the bring it back over the border thing. I hardly see any custom checks at the border, well at least compared with the airports.

tongue.gif

Feb 22, 2006 at 5:12 PM Post #14 of 64
Selection for electronics in Canada sucks. I'm so limited to what I can choose. And the government wonders why more and more people are going online these days. Simple answer: Selection sucks.

Feb 22, 2006 at 8:58 PM Post #15 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonic_rage
yeah, the choices in canada are lacking bigtime.

the prices for decent portable sources and headphones are ridiculous.

I got both of my Beyerdynamic headphones (DT770 and DT660) from Steve's Music Store at a price which is, I would say, fairly comparable to many US online stores. It's in the Toronto area, but they do mail order.

EDIT: But yes... try to find a Sik Din in Toronto sometime... I challenge you to... (Still no Sik Din)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back