Canada...3rd world when it comes to electronics?
Mar 18, 2006 at 6:29 PM Post #47 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by familyman
Think tax is bad? Try housing costs, average home in BC costs $485,000-$495,000. In Toronto it's something like $260,000
confused.gif
i just saw this on the news a couple days ago.

Try Victoria in B.C for housing cost. Its even more!

Mar 18, 2006 at 7:20 PM Post #48 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Macromedia
Try Victoria in B.C for housing cost. Its even more!

i am in Vic, and will be needing to purchase a house soon... story was on A-Channel news i think...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaGWiRE
260,000? I live in a 2600 square foot house with a basement (not included in the square footage I believe), and I think my parents paid around 300,000, but it's now worth over 500,000, and dude, this is in an suburb (I think you would consider it that) outside of Toronto. I supose it's where you live, I live in a pretty preppy area though, where my house is probably the middle class.

this is Average remember, How long have you guys own the house for? that's great profit if you ever sell it. In Victoria if you bought a house for 230,000(like my mom) 5-6 years ago, now it would be worth around over 500,000, although she did lots of really nice landscaping before she sold it and we built a nice outdoor deck that came of a large rock with about a 10 foot drop(house is on lower part of mountain side) Florence lake. Now you cant find a 2-3 bedroom house in Victoria for 250,000, it just doesn't happen.
but if your looking for a house now like me, well it's going to be expensive to say the least.
rolleyes.gif

Mar 18, 2006 at 10:42 PM Post #49 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by familyman
i am in Vic, and will be needing to purchase a house soon... story was on A-Channel news i think...

this is Average remember, How long have you guys own the house for? that's great profit if you ever sell it. In Victoria if you bought a house for 230,000(like my mom) 5-6 years ago, now it would be worth around over 500,000, although she did lots of really nice landscaping before she sold it and we built a nice outdoor deck that came of a large rock with about a 10 foot drop(house is on lower part of mountain side) Florence lake. Now you cant find a 2-3 bedroom house in Victoria for 250,000, it just doesn't happen.
but if your looking for a house now like me, well it's going to be expensive to say the least.
rolleyes.gif

To be honest, I think my parents paid 32x,000 something, it's 13 years old, and last year it was probably worth nearly 600,000, all we ever did was add a basement and some gardening, no pool, nothing, not a special house, just that this is a Jewish area and my parents along with many other Jews want to raise their children in a Jewish area hoping they will marry a Jew in the future, so that is more a less why it is so expensive in this area. I'de think the average in this area is much more then 500-600,000, probably more like 750,000.

Mar 18, 2006 at 10:57 PM Post #50 of 64
This thread now appears to be about the white hot real estate speculation bubble. And yes, it really is a bubble. Just do a google on it!
eggosmile.gif

Hint: it's not just a Canadian phenomena eh?
tongue.gif

Mar 19, 2006 at 1:41 AM Post #51 of 64
I don't live there so maybe I'm shouldn't comment on whether it's a 3rd world of electronics or not, but it does seem like there are some nice, high value speaker companies there - I almost drove up there to get a much better price on some paradigms.

Mar 19, 2006 at 3:23 AM Post #52 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by jrosenth
I don't live there so maybe I'm shouldn't comment on whether it's a 3rd world of electronics or not, but it does seem like there are some nice, high value speaker companies there - I almost drove up there to get a much better price on some paradigms.

true, we do have paradigm, and i have a pro-linear sub that i LOVE. it's only an 8' but it performs like a 10', and it is very fast, some beats it's doesn't look like the driver is moving, you just feel it vibrating everything
basshead.gif
tongue.gif

Mar 19, 2006 at 7:08 AM Post #54 of 64
What is the big deal?

There is a simple solution.

Make friend with someone who travels to Canada from the US on a frequent basis.

I, for one travel to Canada at least once every 6 months. I could buy the stuff and mail it to you when I get to Canada or just USPS to you.

All you need to do is become friends with a fellow American on here and have him / her send you stuff.

Problem solved!

Mar 19, 2006 at 8:08 AM Post #55 of 64
because customs like to charge you tax >.<

Try living in New Zealand.

NO Audio Technica
NO Beyer Dynamic
NO AGK
NO headphone amps anywhere to be seen
Grado SR60s cost $169 NZ (over $100US)
and to ship anything from the USA costs ~ $30 US and add tax of 12.5%

But i can get some Sennheiser HD555s for $170NZ new (~$100 US) should i get them?
icon10.gif

Mar 19, 2006 at 3:24 PM Post #56 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by biohazard_nz
because customs like to charge you tax >.<

Try living in New Zealand.

NO Audio Technica
NO Beyer Dynamic
NO AGK
NO headphone amps anywhere to be seen
Grado SR60s cost $169 NZ (over $100US)
and to ship anything from the USA costs ~ $30 US and add tax of 12.5%

But i can get some Sennheiser HD555s for $170NZ new (~$100 US) should i get them?
icon10.gif

Heh, odd, 555's are 200 Canadian here, which is more then $100 us, and sr80's are 150 Canadian, which is more then $100 us as well by a little bit.
We have I think 1 store that sells AKG/GRADO, we don't have any beyer dyanmic in real life, or audio technicia (I went through the phone book calling place by place.) At the same time, it is about $40 US to ship some shirts from thinkgeek.com to canada here, and we have a 15% tax + boarder taxes, so I think we are in a similiar boat.

My prices have been taken from Futureshop and Bay Bloor Radio, stores you can buy stuff in real life from.

Mar 19, 2006 at 6:37 PM Post #57 of 64
Long & Mcquade sells Akg, Beyer and AT but only the low end models, nothing over $200. They do sell ultrasone 550, 650, and 750. the 750 is $385.

Mar 20, 2006 at 9:06 AM Post #60 of 64
On your next holiday, come to beautiful Taiwan! Do you know that Taiwan was named "Ilha Formosa" by Portuguese sailors? It means "Beautiful Island." OK, maybe seeing land after thousands of miles of ocean influenced their perspective. Or was it the native girls wearing little clothing due to the tropical summers? You can visit Taipei 101, a very tall building, and try not to become nauseous while riding the elevators. Listen to headphones all day, eat delicious meals, and party all night!

Be sure to bring your favorite CDs and credit cards. Cash is better!
tongue.gif

Hifishop.jpg

Listening3.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back