Canada...3rd world when it comes to electronics?
Mar 17, 2006 at 4:43 PM Post #31 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaGWiRE
Well, in Canada, all provinces but BC (I think atleast) pay 15% tax on all goods/food/etc. There are some exceptions I believe, but they are few.

FedEx has fast and well-updated tracking.. mine was updated right to my door, whereas when I recieved my UPS package the tracking listed it as still in Ontario!

All provinces other than the Harmonized Sales Tax provinces (Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick) pay the 7%GST, plus whatever the provincial government chooses to charge:

British Columbia: 7%PST
Alberta: No PST
Saskatchewan: 7%PST
Manitoba: 7%PST
Ontario: 8%PST
Quebec: 7.5%PST
Newfoundland and Labrador: 15%HST (Total Tax)
Nova Scotia: 15%HST (Total Tax)
New Brunswick: 15%HST (Total Tax)
Prince Edward Island: 10%PST, paid on GST as well.
Territories: No PST

So no, not all are 15%. Generally around there, though. Hey, did you know if you shop in another province with lesser sales tax you're supposed to come back and declare the difference and pay the tax? Some tiff with some British Columbians shopping at Albertan Costcos and the BC Government wanting to collect the 7% tax!

Mar 17, 2006 at 4:47 PM Post #32 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by HadenGra7
FedEx has fast and well-updated tracking.. mine was updated right to my door, whereas when I recieved my UPS package the tracking listed it as still in Ontario!

All provinces other than the Harmonized Sales Tax provinces (Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick) pay the 7%GST, plus whatever the provincial government chooses to charge:

British Columbia: 7%PST
Alberta: No PST
Saskatchewan: 7%PST
Manitoba: 7%PST
Ontario: 8%PST
Quebec: 7.5%PST
Newfoundland and Labrador: 15%HST (Total Tax)
Nova Scotia: 15%HST (Total Tax)
New Brunswick: 15%HST (Total Tax)
Prince Edward Island: 10%PST, paid on GST as well.
Territories: No PST

So no, not all are 15%. Generally around there, though. Hey, did you know if you shop in another province with lesser sales tax you're supposed to come back and declare the difference and pay the tax? Some tiff with some British Columbians shopping at Albertan Costcos and the BC Government wanting to collect the 7% tax!

So theoretically, that means every purchase done with NCIX with people outside of provinces with 7%, or BC atleast, should be paying the other 8%. That means a lot of money should be going towards the BC government right now, but I supose they aern't enforcing it enough for anybody to care or do anything, but that probably will change eventually or in the future atleast.
Fedex and puralator are my favourite (SP on puralator? LOL).

Mar 17, 2006 at 4:59 PM Post #33 of 64
Quote:

So theoretically, that means every purchase done with NCIX with people outside of provinces with 7%, or BC atleast, should be paying the other 8%. That means a lot of money should be going towards the BC government right now, but I supose they aern't enforcing it enough for anybody to care or do anything, but that probably will change eventually or in the future atleast.
Fedex and puralator are my favourite (SP on puralator? LOL).

Yup, you're SUPPOSED to call up the government and declare the extra 7-8%. NCIX charged BC residents the 14% (NCIX is in BC), so they're clean. They will also, if you are in such a province, charge you 15%HST. If you aren't in BC or an HST region, however, they will charge you the 7%GST, leaving you to pay the PST. So, no, the BC government does not get any extra.

Mar 17, 2006 at 5:01 PM Post #34 of 64
Quote:

Yup, you're SUPPOSED to call up the government and declare the extra 7-8%. NCIX charged BC residents the 14% (NCIX is in BC), so they're clean. They will also, if you are in such a province, charge you 15%HST. If you aren't in BC or an HST region, however, they will charge you the 7%GST, leaving you to pay the PST. So, no, the BC government does not get any extra.

That's neat. There is still a lot of debate whether or not Canada even needs any taxes right now, considering we live in such a great Country and have many reasons not to need tax, but I don't want to really create a debate here.

Anyway, it just kills me to go to states like Dellaware (SP?) and see absolutely no tax. Alberta makes a lot of money from thier oil though, so I can see why they have no tax.

Mar 17, 2006 at 5:03 PM Post #35 of 64
Haha, when I was studying in Vancouver, the best thing to do was to take long weekend trips to Portland, OR for some no-tax duty-free shopping. Pre-9/11, we weren't so worried about not declaring all our purchases. Maybe being foolhardy university students had something to do with it too.
wink.gif
But heck, when you're 19, $200CAD seems like a lot more anyways.

Mar 17, 2006 at 5:41 PM Post #36 of 64
Quote:

You mean pacific view mall where everything is let's say "hot". Well, I have never been there, but I heard they have no problem with the police (I think they are paying them off), and I hear they sell pirated movies for $10.

(if this is inaproppriate, you can remove my post.)

I think it's called Pacific Mall (in Toronto), as Pacific View Mall is a mall in California.

Mar 17, 2006 at 5:46 PM Post #37 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by adam917
I think it's called Pacific Mall (in Toronto), as Pacific View Mall is a mall in California.

It's not that i'm an anti piracy freak, but I don't like to be around places that I know are doing illegal things. As much as I hate the MPAA and RIAA, I still believe people abuse that as an exscuse to pirate things. As a matter of fact, if you are low on money or hate the riaa becasue of all the crap songs they put on an album with 1-2 good songs, you can use online music download services, etc etc. I really just don't support anything of that support, so I probably won't be going anywhere near that mall. I also hear they have really cheap prices on hardware, but once again, I want to support my technology and push it forward.

Mar 17, 2006 at 8:00 PM Post #38 of 64
Quote:

Heh, fast tracking, that's why I love fedex. I recently placed an order with indigo chapters, and they said they would deliver it to my door. I paid for premium shipping (best I could for these books, they didn't have 1 day shipping) and it stated 2-4 business days. Order placed Tuesday, processed Wednesday but I didn't find out till Thursday at like 1 am (they hardly ever update their site.) I waited for the books, and they ended up arriving Monday, without me knowing until I checked the mailbox on my street. They didn't update their site until Tuesday, and there was a box for a signatory name, and the fact they said they ship to your door, so I thought it was going to my door. Funny thing was, they never came to my door, because I was right beside the front door at the time they say they delivered the package. I don't think I'll be ordering from them again, what type of shipping does Amazon use?

There's a huge difference between amazon (.ca) and indigo. Amazon purchases always arrive within two days for me if the item's in stock, often the next day. I think it uses Canada Post express mail (could be wrong; I never have to look). Even amazon.com stuff comes within a week.

Indigo has never taken less than 7 days for me.

I will never use UPS for anything ever again (I will pay more buying from a vendor that uses a different shipper). Even for in-Canada purchases, UPS is painful. I find it rediculous that you can't arrange to have a signed delivery sent to a "UPS Store" instead of home. There are two such stores within a mile of me but if something is delivered that requires a signature, we have to drive across the city to pick it up at the UPS depot. That, or I take a day off work to accept a parcel.

Mar 18, 2006 at 12:15 AM Post #39 of 64
Quote:

Yes, UPS never again. DHL was fine, FedEx was fine (and has FANTASTIC tracking, might I say?), Purolator was fine, USPS great... just not UPS.

Sorry if I'm, as always, off topic, but just for the record not only USPS is great but I know someone who has yet to pay 1 cent in tax or whatever fee for every (some very pricey) transactions he made with US members....
wink.gif

Amicalement

Mar 18, 2006 at 3:29 AM Post #41 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit
Would it be "illegal" to have U.S. members buy for you, then ship to Canada via USPS? Would this save money for International buyers?

Who cares.
wink.gif

I was planning on trying something like that when the streetstyles came out.
biggrin.gif

Mar 18, 2006 at 3:39 AM Post #42 of 64
Think tax is bad? Try housing costs, average home in BC costs $485,000-$495,000. In Toronto it's something like $260,000
confused.gif
i just saw this on the news a couple days ago.

Mar 18, 2006 at 4:09 AM Post #43 of 64
Most everything I've ever needed or wanted has had to be ordered at great difficulty and with much waiting from the USA. Because there is nowhere to buy or order what I want in Canada. It ceased being funny about 10 years ago, now I just laugh. It's all a part of the game.

Mar 18, 2006 at 6:15 AM Post #44 of 64
Quote:

It's not that i'm an anti piracy freak, but I don't like to be around places that I know are doing illegal things. As much as I hate the MPAA and RIAA, I still believe people abuse that as an exscuse to pirate things. As a matter of fact, if you are low on money or hate the riaa becasue of all the crap songs they put on an album with 1-2 good songs, you can use online music download services, etc etc. I really just don't support anything of that support, so I probably won't be going anywhere near that mall. I also hear they have really cheap prices on hardware, but once again, I want to support my technology and push it forward.

Download services do not usually offer everything in a lossless or uncompressed format. Plus, just because you buy the units that aren't available here imported, doesn't mean the manufacturer isn't getting their money, as it _is_ made by them. Shouldn't matter whether you buy from Sony Japan, USA, Europe, etc. World-wide warranties should be available more often. I can't stand warranties that are not usable in at least a few countries...

Mar 18, 2006 at 11:54 AM Post #45 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by familyman
Think tax is bad? Try housing costs, average home in BC costs $485,000-$495,000. In Toronto it's something like $260,000
confused.gif
i just saw this on the news a couple days ago.

260,000? I live in a 2600 square foot house with a basement (not included in the square footage I believe), and I think my parents paid around 300,000, but it's now worth over 500,000, and dude, this is in an suburb (I think you would consider it that) outside of Toronto. I supose it's where you live, I live in a pretty preppy area though, where my house is probably the middle class.

Adam, you bring up a good point, but if people just waited, it'de probably come out eventually. I don't see why it hasn't already, it's just ripping a cd, but not compressing the audio like you would with an mp3.

I was thinking of purchasing the thinkgeek clothing (American store) shipping it to a family friend, and then having them ship it to me, or me picking it up next time i'm there in the new future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back