can you enjoy music in low-fi?
Oct 23, 2003 at 7:44 AM Post #16 of 45
i stopped going to 32 after they stopped taking "out of state" IDs my sophomore year.
tongue.gif

that fresno comment was kind of harsh though. (but i have issues i have to deal with about fresno)

eh... back to studying...

Oct 23, 2003 at 7:46 AM Post #17 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by usc goose
i stopped going to 32 after they stopped taking "out of state" IDs my sophomore year.
tongue.gif

that fresno comment was kind of harsh though. (but i have issues i have to deal with about fresno)

eh... back to studying...

Hehe, I though you'd like that Fresno one, comparing most of anywhere short of prison to Fresno will piss most people the heck off. It's really not THAT BAD, there's just not much very good about it either. Oh well...

Oct 23, 2003 at 12:16 PM Post #18 of 45
I think enjoyment of music has more to do with wether you enjoy the music or not.

Let me explain. If it's a good album, and one that you like, it will sound good on a cheapo system and the better the system gets the better it will sound and the more you will enjoy it, hopefully.

Now if you dislike the album or the gentre of music then no matter how good the system is, you will not enjoy it. So if like me, you dislike David Whitfield or Foster&Allen then playing on a $100K Levinson will only piss me off even more.

I think we all fall foul of listening to our systems rather than the music playing on them. Equally we like to judge our systems by the price we paid rather than their individual merits. Just because something is cheap in comparison, that doesn't immediately make it bad, right?

In the end, the reason we all have portable/home hifi systems is so that we can enjoy the music. If we stop enjoying the music then we may as well just sell up as no amount of money will things beyond that.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Oct 23, 2003 at 12:35 PM Post #19 of 45
Over 97% of registered Head-fiers are currently enjoying music on "low fi" equipment.
wink.gif

Very few of us have what I would consider a truly high-fi rig.
(I definitely don't have one.
tongue.gif
)

But that sobering fact should not let us enjoy music any less.
If anything it should be the driving force to improve our systems so that we may enjoy music more.

Oct 23, 2003 at 12:48 PM Post #20 of 45
I would have to say Yes, I just enjoy listening to music.Whether it be in the car or at work listening to a cheap radio.
. Thats why I got into this crazy hobby to begin with
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 23, 2003 at 1:20 PM Post #21 of 45
princeclassic,

That's an interesting question. However, I have another question that seems just as important to me:

Can you enjoy music in hi-fi?

It seems to me that musical enjoyment isn't too high up on the list of priorities of audiophiles. Most hi-fi or high-end equipment tries to fulfill the typical hi-fi criteria, it offers things like soundstage and detail, criteria that are accessible to a very concious and analytical listening approach, but I rarely experience an increase in musical enjoyment with 'official', mainstream hi-fi and high-end components. Hell, a single speaker mono radio can provide more musical pleasure than many four-way speaker designs. To me, high-end quite frequently means one thing: high fatigue, little enjoyment.

If we listen for the improvement of sonic attributes, that's what we'll get. But whether our beloved sonic criteria add upto a menaningful description of the musical experience we try to recreate, whether we achieve musical enjoyment, that's another question.

Oct 23, 2003 at 3:33 PM Post #22 of 45
Depends on how low-fi.

I can't really enjoy music on my laptop speakers. Maybe that's also because of the noise from the fan of the computer that is louder than the speakers.
I can enjoy music from a little transistor radio I have. Strangely enough I do have more problems with a stereo radio cassette player which is supposed to be better that the small radio but gives you hardly any detail.
So detail (esp. midrange), even when tinny metallic sounding is more importing to me then a tiny step up to the dark muddy sound of the radio cassette player.

Oct 23, 2003 at 3:37 PM Post #23 of 45
depends. On my computer, the speakers are boring me, even on good music. Time to build an amp to use my cans on it
biggrin.gif

But in my car, music is fun
600smile.gif
(and it's only stock system)

Oct 23, 2003 at 3:48 PM Post #24 of 45
well of course the whole hi-fi low-fi thing is relative....

compared to that $50 sony boombox...my vifa/peerless bookshelf speakers are hi-fi....a lot moreso than the difference between my speakers and some dynaudio special 25's

compared to those coby headphones my friend just bought....my portapros are hi-fi...again....moreso than the portapros compared to hp-1s

as for the enjoying music in hi-fi thing...i try not to upgrade too often....as then i just get into the rhythm of listening to the equipment rather than the music...

Oct 23, 2003 at 4:06 PM Post #25 of 45
Oh yes!!

When I was a teenage, I enjoyed music on the AM radio in my 1981 'Vette (that's the Chevy CHEvette - the car from hell
evil_smiley.gif
)

which leads to....

I enjoyed music while being on perpetual hold at the suicide hotline....

Oct 23, 2003 at 4:16 PM Post #26 of 45
Definitely, poor quality gear was what I started out with when I didn't have a good paying job and I was still in school. It was either that or no sounds at all. Currently at work I have a pair of crappy labtec PC speakers on my desktop, it serves my needs just fine as I didn't pay for them and I don't often listen to music from my PC

Oct 23, 2003 at 5:00 PM Post #27 of 45
When I go to a karaoke, I can listen to a lot of songs I don't have at home. The sound quality is relatively crappy but I enjoy it a lot. (That and the singing
tongue.gif
)

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Oct 23, 2003 at 7:22 PM Post #30 of 45
I can enjoy music a lot on literally anything. Higher end stuff just makes it more enjoyable, more like an extra, not a necessity. In fact (and I know I will feel the flames of hell for this), I enjoy the Bose Triports more than my HD600's. I came to admit that the HD600's are extremely boring, and if I had the Triports, I would listen to them instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back