can you enjoy music in low-fi?
Oct 23, 2003 at 4:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

princeclassic

100+ Head-Fier
just curious if people here can still enjoy the music they like if it's played on a poor stereo or through poor headphones.

i'm glad that i can still really get into music on my cheap computer speakers.

if there comes a time when i can't....i think i'll probably drop this hobby.

what do you guys think? for example....can you get into music played through your friends cheap stock car speakers?

Oct 23, 2003 at 4:13 AM Post #2 of 45
Of course, I still enjoy driving with my car stereo playing. Its not the best (actually it pretty bad) but I still find it enjoyable.
biggrin.gif

Oct 23, 2003 at 4:25 AM Post #3 of 45
Absolutely, I still enjoy it. But it makes me appreciate what I have even more.

--Chris

Oct 23, 2003 at 4:25 AM Post #4 of 45
"i'm glad that i can still really get into music on my cheap computer speakers."

Same here. If the only way I had to listen to music was through crappy sources, I still would. It's all about the music, man.

Oct 23, 2003 at 4:28 AM Post #5 of 45
I walk to school (takes me 35 minutes each way) and on the way I listen to my very nice D-EJ955 with my god-awful MDR-A34s (will buy better as soon as I get a job!). If you don't know what these are, they're ~$14 fold-up, in-ear POS headphones. I tell you, the bass on those things is noexistant.

Anyway, that's low-fi if I've ever heard it. Of course I enjoy the music, it really makes the walk bearable. But I find as soon as I get home from school I have to listen to the album on my home rig, just to do it justice.

Oct 23, 2003 at 4:37 AM Post #6 of 45
No....absolutelly not. Well as radio was never my cup of tea for HiFi listening, I don't consider radio FM as a "listening", of course the radio on the car is just fine, to break the silence, and is far better than a whining wife all the time....LOL...

Oct 23, 2003 at 4:41 AM Post #7 of 45
Well, my iRiver IMP-350 with Sony MDR-E829V earbuds is hardly hi-fi, but I can still enjoy the music on them. Same with my computer as a source, also not a hi-fi system, but enjoyable nonetheless. I'm not in this hobby to enjoy the equipment, I'm in it to increase my enjoyment of the music
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 23, 2003 at 4:42 AM Post #8 of 45
yep. although i like good sound better than crappy sound if i have a choice(obviously)

although the one thing that does piss me off is when people think thier stock car systems(or aftermarket crappy ones) sound good and insist on telling me how good they sound and im forced to listen to it. then its kind of annoying

Oct 23, 2003 at 4:56 AM Post #10 of 45
Yep, definitely. Agreed with those who say hi-fi makes the music more enjoyable -- but music in "low-fi" is still enjoyable. Occasionally I'll go grocery shopping and a tune I really like is playing over the PA system... still sounds good to me.

If it's "too" low fi though... like a 32kbps MP3 or something that sounds metallic and ugly, that can ruin it. For that reason, I rarely listen to streaming Internet radio.

Oct 23, 2003 at 7:17 AM Post #11 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by fewtch
Occasionally I'll go grocery shopping and a tune I really like is playing over the PA system... still sounds good to me.

So funny you mention this. I was in the grocery store the other day, and usually you hear that really boring easy listening sorta music that you just completely don't even notice, but what did I hear but ZZ Top's "Sharp Dressed Man" ! Needless to say I started rocking out right there in the frozen foods section
redface.gif
That was pretty darn fun, actually.

Oct 23, 2003 at 7:23 AM Post #12 of 45
you talking about the ralphs on adams? they play good music there.

god i miss la.

Oct 23, 2003 at 7:35 AM Post #14 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by usc goose
you talking about the ralphs on adams? they play good music there.

god i miss la.

Belive it or not, it was actually at the 32!

And I'd miss LA if I were in Davis as well, and that's coming from someone who lived waaaay out in the country (50 miles east of Fresno) most of his life. Even Fresno is more interesting than Davis (but don't even get me started about Fresno State U.
evil_smiley.gif
).

But then again, you're in med school, so you shouldn't have any time to notice what town you happen to be in anyway
biggrin.gif

Oct 23, 2003 at 7:42 AM Post #15 of 45
YES

I enjoy music in my car, it is low-fi
I enjoy it in the garage it is low-fi
I even somewhat enjoy music in the Ford, but it has such poor quality speakers that I have to be careful what I play. Some of my music is not enjoyable in that rig. Most of it is okay though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back