Can the Etymotic ER-4PT be converted to an Etymotic ER-4S in the same way that the Etymotic ER-4P can?
Mar 18, 2013 at 6:04 AM Post #16 of 37
Quote:

I ended up pulling the trigger on the ER4P instead of PT because it was $250 on Amazon instead of $280.  I saw the ER4S for $220 but I was not sure if it was an authorized Etymotic reseller.

Two years ago 4P was only $180, till Etymotic decided to enforce a strict price policy and forced the market price to go up. Not very cool for what they have done back then.

Mar 21, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #17 of 37
Quote:

Two years ago 4P was only $180, till Etymotic decided to enforce a strict price policy and forced the market price to go up. Not very cool for what they have done back then.

It is a shame that the prices have gone up.  In comparison Hifiman continue to innovate and offer previous flagships (re0) at a discounted price.  I love the re0&zero, and I was choosing between ER4, re272, or wait for the re600.  My initial impression of the ER4P (the adapter hasn't come yet) is that it is better than the re0 but $200 better??  It sounds very nice out of the iPhone (but so do the re0/zero).  It doesn't seem to benefit much from the O2/ODAC (kinda like the zero), whereas re0 benefits more from amping.

Getting the right fit was a bit troublesome, but i eventually went with the foam, and its a bit uncomfortable with the deep insertion.  My heart almost stopped when i first listened to the stock tips that did not seal at all
wink.gif
!! 

Overall, I guess I'm quite happy with them, bass is fast+tight and although not quite HE400 bass, I am actually enjoying these more
biggrin.gif

Mar 21, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #18 of 37
The silicone tri-flanges can be uncomfortable to use at first. A neat trick is to use a tiny bit of baby oil (or skin moisturiser) to lubricate the flanges so they can soften up and be much less irritating. Eventually they will absorb your skin oil and soften up the same way, so baby oil just hasten the process.

Mar 21, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #19 of 37
Quote:
The silicone tri-flanges can be uncomfortable to use at first. A neat trick is to use a tiny bit of baby oil (or skin moisturiser) to lubricate the flanges so they can soften up and be much less irritating. Eventually they will absorb your skin oil and soften up the same way, so baby oil just hasten the process.

Yes -- my 3-flange milky gray tips are super soft from 3+ years of use and wax and oil absorption!  I remove them about 2-3 times a month, rinse them with warm soapy water, dry them good, and put them back on.  Also, it takes a little time getting used to the deep insertion, but after only a week of daily use, it began to feel natural and normal for them to sit so deeply.

Jul 11, 2013 at 6:05 AM Post #22 of 37
I find this very interesting. Am I correct in thinking that if I purchase this it would transform the er4-pt to an er-4s without the need for the bulky adapter? Plus I would be able to use Westone cables?

Jul 11, 2013 at 7:14 AM Post #23 of 37
I find this very interesting. Am I correct in thinking that if I purchase this it would transform the er4-pt to an er-4s without the need for the bulky adapter? Plus I would be able to use Westone cables?

Yes, the adapters themselves contain the resistors appropriate to whichever model of adapter that you order. I ordered the P model so that I could still have that available plus still use my adapter to convert to 4S.

You should know that when using, for instance, a Westone cable, that one color dot on the cable will point forward and the other back in order to be properly phased. That requires re-bending one of the guide wires on your cable. Otherwise, the adapters work really well.

Jul 30, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #29 of 37
Not sure what the cable-only solution would be for S to P, but there are right angle adapters on ebay (that I think were linked earlier) that can be used to make a P into an S, but an additional cable like the Westone cable is required.

Jul 30, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #30 of 37
The description on Etymotic's website says the p-to-s is included with the ER-4PT:

Quote:
ER•4PT earphones, intended for sound engineers and audiophiles in constant motion, comes equipped with extra accessories and adapters. ER•4PT earphones can be used with portable devices without an additional amplifier—or converted to the ER•4S response with the included P-to-S cable. Compared to the ER•4S, the ER•4PT has 10 dB greater output at high frequencies and 13 dB greater output at low frequencies. The higher sensitivity and enhanced bass of the ER•4PT have made it the most popular earphone in the series. Included with every pair of ER•4PT earphones is an industry-exclusive channel-matching compliance graph, signed by the Etymotic engineer who precision matched and custom tuned the balanced-armature drivers.

Is that the case?

PT is $15 cheaper than the P on amazon right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back