Can icon HDP drive W5000 well?
Dec 1, 2010 at 8:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

quetzacoatl

New Head-Fier
I am planning to buy a pair of W5000s, and I really don't have much money to buy a new amplifier.
Some of my friends warned me that the w5000s won't sound well without the support of a HA5000, so must I upgrade my amplifier to fit the w5000s?
My gear: mbp/squeezebox touch -> HDP -> w5000(in the future.... DT770 at present)
I listen to classical(especially symphonies and chorus) mainly, along with some progressive/power metal and fusions.
Thanks for taking the time to look ^_^

Dec 1, 2010 at 9:16 AM Post #2 of 8
To be honest it is a gamble whether the W5000's are going to sound good with your HDP, it's not about being able to "drive" the headphone, since most amps do this fine, it's how well the amps synergy is with the W5000's that counts. Before I purchased the HA5000 the W5000's sounded best from my Technics stereo systems headphone out, beat most dedicated headphone amps with the W5000's. They are the pickiest headphone out there, even when purchasing the HA5000 amplifier, the need for a warm and lush source is ideal for this setup... Seems like many variables to consider, there are much more versatile headphones out there, but once you find that "perfect" balance of gear feeding the W5000's, they are pure magic and IMO up there with the best. Good luck with your investment, the W5000's are truly one of the finest headphones I had the pleasure of owning. (even with their picky nature) 
biggrin.gif
. Cheers, 

Dec 1, 2010 at 1:21 PM Post #5 of 8
I have never tried the HDP with the W5000's so I have no idea. I wish I could be of more help, but I guess you have to gamble a bit... Good luck, 
wink.gif

Dec 1, 2010 at 7:17 PM Post #6 of 8
As a fellow HDP owner, I'd be curious if anyone has any impressions on this pairing as well.  I've been looking for a high(ish) end closed can that would be a good match for the HDP, but there's still not much out there.  Like others have said, I'm sure the HDP can drive the W5000 with ease, I'd just be worried they might be an overly bright pairing.

Dec 2, 2010 at 1:12 AM Post #7 of 8

Quote:
I have never tried the HDP with the W5000's so I have no idea. I wish I could be of more help, but I guess you have to gamble a bit... Good luck, 
wink.gif

Likewise I'm afraid. What I can tell you is that my ipod touch drives the W5000 and it sounds impressive. Could it sound better? I'm sure that it could if paired with the right amplifier. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back