Can I trust Amazon on my purchase of the AKG 240S?
Mar 29, 2011 at 3:13 PM Post #16 of 28
Ok thanks, we'll see if I receive it by the end of this week.

Mar 30, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #17 of 28
I just received them today! It definitely looks legit and sounds legit. It was completely sealed, there was a warranty card inside and everything. I definitely got a great deal! Out of the box they sound great, they remind me of my Grado SR80i, which is great because I love the Grado sound! It's like my Grado with more bass and soundstage, but less brightness/fowardness of highs. Mids are definitely nice and sweet, but still doesn't sound as good as my Grado or HD600. Overall I'm really impressed, and for the price I paid it was a total steal!
k701smile.gif

Mar 30, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #18 of 28
Why is their storefront on Amazon basically not found?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html?ie=UTF8&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER&me=A2J4NI9D45HFUG

Mar 30, 2011 at 7:25 PM Post #19 of 28
That's what I'm wondering too, I remember checking back yesterday and they had no more items left. No clue what happened.

Mar 30, 2011 at 8:09 PM Post #20 of 28
Just out of curiosity you should upload some pictures for us.

Mine cost $90 from Sweetwater, they are defiantly real. (at first I worried a little because I thought they where all made in Austria, but they are now made in china from what I understand.) 
k701smile.gif

Mar 30, 2011 at 9:02 PM Post #21 of 28

Quote:
I just received them today! It definitely looks legit and sounds legit. It was completely sealed, there was a warranty card inside and everything. I definitely got a great deal! Out of the box they sound great, they remind me of my Grado SR80i, which is great because I love the Grado sound! It's like my Grado with more bass and soundstage, but less brightness/fowardness of highs. Mids are definitely nice and sweet, but still doesn't sound as good as my Grado or HD600. Overall I'm really impressed, and for the price I paid it was a total steal!
k701smile.gif

Yes, I can tell from your description you got the real thing.  This is how I would describe them too.  And then there's a thread here about the Sextetts where they are heavily compared to Grados.  I.e., I believe that you get 90 - 95% of the Sextett with the currently available K240S/Mk II.

Also, I didn't like mine so much out of the box.  I felt the lows were way too overpowering wrt the highs.  I was gonna dump them.  I mentioned that in a thread here, and a very kind soul suggested I burn them in.  So over two nights (15-20 hrs total), I let them play random tracks about 25% louder than I normally would.  The bass tightened up, and the treble got "activated".  So they might sound even better after you use them for a bit.

I didn't used to believe in burn in, but the Mk II's I have definitely benefited from it.

Mar 30, 2011 at 11:19 PM Post #22 of 28

Quote:
Just out of curiosity you should upload some pictures for us.

Mine cost $90 from Sweetwater, they are defiantly real. (at first I worried a little because I thought they where all made in Austria, but they are now made in china from what I understand.) 
k701smile.gif

Yes! They are made in China. I thought it was made from Austria as well, but I read here that it's only the higher AKG lines now.

Quote:
Yes, I can tell from your description you got the real thing.  This is how I would describe them too.  And then there's a thread here about the Sextetts where they are heavily compared to Grados.  I.e., I believe that you get 90 - 95% of the Sextett with the currently available K240S/Mk II.

Also, I didn't like mine so much out of the box.  I felt the lows were way too overpowering wrt the highs.  I was gonna dump them.  I mentioned that in a thread here, and a very kind soul suggested I burn them in.  So over two nights (15-20 hrs total), I let them play random tracks about 25% louder than I normally would.  The bass tightened up, and the treble got "activated".  So they might sound even better after you use them for a bit.

I didn't used to believe in burn in, but the Mk II's I have definitely benefited from it.

You are right. Though I liked the sound out of the box, I left it alone to burn in all day and the bass has definitely dropped and it's much more brighter now, which is still a nice sound to me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 30, 2011 at 11:51 PM Post #23 of 28
I'm also one who noticed the bass drops a bit after burn-in. They still have good bass and I'm shocked how someone could say it's slow and bloated (I've read that before!).

I just replaced the foam covering the driver and installed some Beyer Velour pads. Somehow those actually improved the sound a bit and they fit perfectly. I HATED the AKG velour pads and they're more expensive and harder to find.
Even the Beyer leather pads are better because they're flat and don't have round edges like the AKG pads.

AKG K240 Studio is one headphone I will never part with. I might even prefer them to my Sextett.

Mar 31, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #24 of 28
I've read that too! There's definitely no "slow and bloated" bass. It sounds great to me. The Sextett is what I initially wanted, but it's too hard to find a good condition one around, but the Studio will do just fine! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 31, 2011 at 2:36 AM Post #25 of 28
I thought the bass was a little slow and bloated out of the box, but definitely not after burn in.

I do prefer mine with AKG's velour pads vs their pleather pads.  Tdockweiler, how would I get a set of the Beyer pads to try? 
smile_phones.gif

Mar 31, 2011 at 3:29 AM Post #27 of 28

I got mine here:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/614417-REG/Beyerdynamic_904783_EDT_770S_Soft_Ear.html

I originally bought them for my DT-880 since I don't like velour that much (strange, I know). They fit the K240 with no problem.
Unfortunately those are the pleather pads and I don't know why B&H doesn't sell the replacement velour pads. You can probably order them from Beyer directly though.
Headroom should have them, but they'll probably have a high markup.

FYI Beyer even has gel pads. I wonder how those would be on the K240.

Quote:
I thought the bass was a little slow and bloated out of the box, but definitely not after burn in.

I do prefer mine with AKG's velour pads vs their pleather pads.  Tdockweiler, how would I get a set of the Beyer pads to try? 
smile_phones.gif

Mar 31, 2011 at 3:45 AM Post #28 of 28
I'd definitely want to give velour pads a try.

Quote:
Piece of advice: recable. They change a lot depending on cable.

I don't really believe in cable upgrades or else I'd have my HD600's cable upgraded already.
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back