Can I ask a stupid question?
Mar 23, 2011 at 10:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

justpete

New Head-Fier
Advantages of a headphone amp over conventional equipment?

Anyway, I have quite a few headphones now - I'm not an audiophile or 'headphile', just an audio enthusiast.

Denon ADH-2000
B&W P5's
Shure SRH-440's and 480s
Sennheiser HD555s
Grado S60's

Here is some of my other equipment:

Denon 4310CI
Rotel RB-1080
McIntosh C28 Preamp
McIntosh MC2505 Amp

My question is, Is there any reason for me to get a headphone amp?

if so, why?  What are the advantages of a headphone amp over the various combinations of the conventional equipment I already have?

Please excuse my ignorance - it's an innocent question.  If there's no advantage, can you let me know that too?

Mar 23, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #2 of 13
An amp pretty much provides your headphones with more power. The sound difference you will hear is generally fuller sound, perhaps more clarity, detail, better soundstage. There can also be some slight changes in tone as well.

As for if an amp is necessary, no, it's not necessary to have an amp in your case. The d2000, I'm sure will sound quite a lot better, but obviously, the headphones still work without it since you seem to be using them just fine. There will be an audible difference if you get an amp, but in my opinion, it's not necessary.

If it is worth it is up to you to decide. Do you want more out of your d2000s and other headphones or are you satisfied with what you have? If you're satisfied, don't get the amp.

If you were buying a headphone or a headphone + amp at the same price, I would say go for a better pair of headphones without an amp, generally. You get much more for the price out of headphones than you do out of amps.

Mar 23, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #4 of 13
I don't know if a headphone amp and stuff will be better than your current setup, really. I don't know much about amps myself so I can't really say. I don't know if your current equipment works with headphones or not so I don't know if there's going to be an improvement or even degradation. You'll have to get someone with more knowledge to help you out on that.

As for a starter amp, I don't really know. Many people seem to be starting with the fiio e7/e9 combo since it's cheap and is both a dac and an amp. If you're really looking into a headphone amp, I'd probably personally say to try out the Schiit Asgard since they come with a 15 day satisfaction guarantee. I'm not sure how it synergizes with your headphones or anything though. You'll definitely want the advice of someone who knows more on the subject than me.

Mar 24, 2011 at 12:17 AM Post #5 of 13

Quote:
Thanks Afrobat.  So a headphone amp would sound better than my C28 or my 4310ci's headphone jack?

I'm going to guess that a McIntosh C28 is going to sound pretty good relative to a stand-alone headphone amp.  If yours is in good condition, i.e. no scratchiness in the volume pot, no dying capacitors, etc, it should hold its own.  That being said, it is solid-state, and a tube amp would have a slightly different signature.  Not necessarily better, depending on your tastes, but different.

Just my .02.

Mar 24, 2011 at 1:31 AM Post #6 of 13
Your C28 should sound pretty good.

If you really want to try a headphone amp, one of the new Dynalos might do well. Plenty of power and a terrific circuit.

But if you're enjoying the sound from your C28, you might want to stick with it.

Mar 24, 2011 at 8:53 AM Post #7 of 13
So minimal benefit from an e7/e9 combo then? It's the one I was kind of eyeing a bit. Don't get me wrong - the c28 does sound good, I'm just wondering if I'm missing *something*.

Mar 24, 2011 at 11:06 AM Post #9 of 13
I don't think you'll see a huge improvement, if any.  But the only way to find out for sure is to try one.  Whichever amp you choose, get it used or from a place with a liberal return policy (as afrobat mentioned above) so you can sell/return it at minimal expense.

Mar 24, 2011 at 11:17 AM Post #11 of 13

Quote:
I don't think you'll see a huge improvement, if any.  But the only way to find out for sure is to try one.  Whichever amp you choose, get it used or from a place with a liberal return policy (as afrobat mentioned above) so you can sell/return it at minimal expense.

Good point, I'll definitely keep that in mind.

Mar 25, 2011 at 7:01 PM Post #12 of 13
I'd be spending the money on replacing any parts in your McIntosh kit that need replacing. Beyond that, just enjoy what you have.

Mar 25, 2011 at 8:15 PM Post #13 of 13

I did acquire the Mcintosh gear recently, and they're currently at the shop getting all refreshed.  I took a few listens to the Mcintosh, it sounded great - but some of the highs were a little muffled - my Denon had more clarity.  So I thought I'd get them refreshed to bring out the characteristics that I'm missing.

Quote:
I'd be spending the money on replacing any parts in your McIntosh kit that need replacing. Beyond that, just enjoy what you have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back