'Can Con' Sydney meet 10/07 Unique Melody, i-enjoy.com.au, Jaben Australia, Twisted Cables & Krispy Kables to join us~ Major prize giveaway by Jaben Aus~
Jun 6, 2011 at 11:16 AM Post #316 of 670

Quote:
open to anyone on the internet? ok, look i'm going to leave it up to you. but registering at the door leaves it open to everyone off the street, anyone off the street without security concerns me. or do you just mean after registering interest in coming along on the forum, you register at the door and give your forum handle and whatever other details you deem necessary?

Perhaps I am naive, but I didn`t think just anyone or everyone off the street would walk into the hall to attend. Or search sydney meet in google with mal-intention.

Jun 6, 2011 at 11:18 AM Post #317 of 670
okay, so, basically. to feel assured in summary:

- Must be registered before attending here in this forum and provide with all the details through PM.

- Must present photo id at registration at the venue or have someone with photo id vouch for that attendee

- Need to hire security guards.

Perhaps I am naive, but I didn`t think just anyone or everyone off the street would walk into the hall to attend. Or search sydney meet in google with mal-intention.

more likely someone dodgy and already here will attend mwahaha :D

Jun 6, 2011 at 11:42 AM Post #318 of 670
Registration here + photo id  is essential.
It is not unreasonable to request Name, Phone# and Address (which is to be confirmed upon presentation of ID).
As you are the sole organizer, you would be the only one privy to this information.
This data should be kept by you in the event something does happen.

Hiring security to perform this task will at least double (if not triple) the entry fee which is not good.

As for Erwin's stuff last time... double that guesstimate and it is probably closer to the actual amount.

Jun 6, 2011 at 12:09 PM Post #319 of 670
Ok, I have added the requirement to provide a valid photo id at the venue in the first post.
Regarding to registration here, I will ask for details on the 26th of June when I would have time to organise the details.
Hope this is satisfactory for everyone.

Jun 6, 2011 at 12:15 PM Post #320 of 670
Definitely record the photo IDs - this is getting significantly bigger than what's gone before in Australia, and there are non-members coming.  Keep copies for a week or two after the meet and then destroy them if no-one who brought gear has any issues.

I'm happy to chip in an extra $20 if you need it to cover (say) some student Head-Fi members who can only afford $10.  I reckon the meet is awesome value and I appreciate there's a LOT of organising involved.

Jun 6, 2011 at 12:38 PM Post #322 of 670

Quote:
Definitely record the photo IDs - this is getting significantly bigger than what's gone before in Australia, and there are non-members coming.  Keep copies for a week or two after the meet and then destroy them if no-one who brought gear has any issues.

I'm happy to chip in an extra $20 if you need it to cover (say) some student Head-Fi members who can only afford $10.  I reckon the meet is awesome value and I appreciate there's a LOT of organising involved.

So, basically you would like me to photocopy the id and store it for 2 weeks before destroying it? I do have a multi function printer and this is possible. Is everyone ok with this? Would this alleviate the security concerns that people have?

Jun 6, 2011 at 1:27 PM Post #323 of 670
Also, another idea is to divide the attendees into two and take turns in viewing the gears. So if there are 4 groups of tables, then 2 groups of table will be first to leave and can sample the distributor and the other half`s gears. I will organise to keep watch over the vacant tables and make sure no one touches anything. And after a period of time, the other half will take turns in sampling the gears.
Pro: increased security = have opportunity to enjoy without concern over the theft or damage of property while away.
Con: reduced time to sample gears by half (so instead of 3.5 hours, you only get 1 hour and 45 min, however I can still extend the time by 1 hour to finish at 5:30pm which will give 2 hour and 15 min each), cannot sample gears in the same half of the group. Distributors are unable to sample any gears.

Or split the groups of tables in 4 and groups 1 and 2 start sampling. After 55 minutes, group 1 return to their table and group 3 start sampling, after another 55 minutes group 2 return to their table and group 4 start sampling, and finally after another 55 minutes group 3 return to their table and group 1 once again start sampling.

Jun 6, 2011 at 2:08 PM Post #324 of 670
No, its just part of what needs to be done and yes i'm afraid it does seem to me you are a little bit naive wrt people, unfortunate, but true. As organizer of a largish event, it is your job to an extent prepare for the worst in people, not by way of attitude towards them or expecting it of them, but just by way of safeguards to protect in the unlikely event something bad happens. its great that you are so optimistic, but the world is not all sweetness and light and head-fi is not as pure as it once was either its sad to say. that is what happens with growth and people will sometimes go against their normal character on the spot if an opportunity arrises.

there will be a large group of people in a procession carting boxes full of expensive looking electronics into the building, some of whom are more affluent looking than average, if people dont know beforehand, it will be apparent something is going on. I do not expect anything evil to happen, but it is your job to prepare for that unlikely event. you may be thinking it will scare people off, if it does, sorry but we did not want them there anyway. i can say for myself and i know i'm not alone, i was already mentally thinking i might not bring everything i was planning to. this one requirement in itself will not protect, but its a definite deterrent and quite a visible one at the entrance, Combined with due diligence of attendees and a couple other measures, we will be prepared and when nothing happens, people will have been more likely to relax knowing that they were being looked out for.

you do not want to be the person that discouraged simple preventative measures if something happens.

I tell you what i'm glad some other people chimed in though....

thankyou though pkwak, i was getting a little bit flustered and confused at your reluctance, i'm glad you came around, i had my bat ready lol 
beerchug.gif

just read your last post. mate, i know you are trying hard here, but are you suggesting the above rather confusing and annoying procedure in place of just simply taking ID at the door? i will not be coming if i have to sit around all day, not gonna happen. meets are about catching up with people and talking about shared experiences, testing a few gears and in this case showing off a few wares. find the middle ground, its really not that complicated, but there must be a way for people to be held accountable. the mots will work it out, you guys will work it out. 

we have time to work this out, but i suggest we do not work it out in the thread and i ask that you please remove the address from any and all of your posts. anyone coming will be in contact, it wont be a secret, but it should not be advertised

Jun 6, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #325 of 670
In agreement with other members, extra security measures must be accounted for, considering the escalating scale of this particular meet.
Paul the meet you attended was a private residence, a completely different kettle of fish, bare that in mind.

I thank you for the extra measures towards a safer more secure event.

Jun 6, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #326 of 670
No, its just part of what needs to be done and yes i'm afraid it does seem to me you are a little bit naive wrt people, unfortunate, but true. As organizer of a largish event, it is your job to an extent prepare for the worst in people, not by way of attitude towards them or expecting it of them, but just by way of safeguards to protect in the unlikely event something bad happens. its great that you are so optimistic, but the world is not all sweetness and light and head-fi is not as pure as it once was either its sad to say. that is what happens with growth and people will sometimes go against their normal character on the spot if an opportunity arrises.

there will be a large group of people in a procession carting boxes full of expensive looking electronics into the building, some of whom are more affluent looking than average, if people dont know beforehand, it will be apparent something is going on. I do not expect anything evil to happen, but it is your job to prepare for that unlikely event. you may be thinking it will scare people off, if it does, sorry but we did not want them there anyway. i can say for myself and i know i'm not alone, i was already mentally thinking i might not bring everything i was planning to. this one requirement in itself will not protect, but its a definite deterrent and quite a visible one at the entrance, Combined with due diligence of attendees and a couple other measures, we will be prepared and when nothing happens, people will have been more likely to relax knowing that they were being looked out for.

you do not want to be the person that discouraged simple preventative measures if something happens.

I tell you what i'm glad some other people chimed in though....

thankyou though pkwak, i was getting a little bit flustered and confused at your reluctance, i'm glad you came around, i had my bat ready lol 
beerchug.gif

just read your last post. mate, i know you are trying hard here, but are you suggesting the above rather confusing and annoying procedure in place of just simply taking ID at the door? i will not be coming if i have to sit around all day, not gonna happen. meets are about catching up with people and talking about shared experiences, testing a few gears and in this case showing off a few wares. find the middle ground, its really not that complicated, but there must be a way for people to be held accountable. the mots will work it out, you guys will work it out. 

we have time to work this out, but i suggest we do not work it out in the thread and i ask that you please remove the address from any and all of your posts. anyone coming will be in contact, it wont be a secret, but it should not be advertised

The above mentioned procedure was in addition to the taking photocopy of valid photo id. Above mentioned procedure may be the extreme end of security but this way, no one will be near anyone's gears without the owner being there.
Also what do the MOTs prefer? Mingle? Or market their product? I was thinking the MoTs won't be able to leaving their table due to high traffic, ie people constantly wanting to try out their product and that is why I was going to have separate MoTs from ordinary members. Plus it would be a control of the traffic. Instead of having the whole attendee wending to try out a particular product all at once, there would only be half.

Jun 6, 2011 at 7:57 PM Post #327 of 670
And I am trying to start a brainstorming session. I am going to create a new thread people, search for security in big venues, and we can brainstorm and find the middle ground there.
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/557315/security-in-big-venues

Jun 6, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #328 of 670
i do not think that security should be discussed in open forum, it kinda defeats the purpose.  i'm not interested in being at my station the whole time, if we are sharing areas i'm sure we can work something out. 

Jun 6, 2011 at 9:04 PM Post #329 of 670
Everyone please note the changes to the rules in the first post.

SOME RULES

1. Everyone must register prior to the meet. The attendees are required to provide the organiser with their Name, Address, Contact number and Email between 25/06/2011 and 08/07/2011.

2. Everyone must provide a photo id when registering at the registration desk and will be cross checked with the provided name and address. Also at the registration the attendees are required to tick the box if the attendee do not want their name and email details passed onto the distributors. (Note a copy of your valid photo id (that can verify name and address) will be taken and kept for two weeks before being destroyed).

Jun 6, 2011 at 11:10 PM Post #330 of 670
1.TBH, I dont think you should invite people outside of head-fi. There should be limited numbers

2. Members must give the organiser/ senior members serial numbers of the Headphones/ audio gear. These numbers should be recorded by the leaders on a database. Alternatively, members could take photos: refer to photos

3. I think bags should be checked by senior members/organiser on the way out and crossed referenced by the serial numbers, as recorded when the member arrives to the even/ send photos to Paul or whoever it might be

4. All gear must remain on that table until the member leaves and get his/her gear  cross referenced.

Just a few security measures!! Apart from that, I'm really looking forward to the meet
o2smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back