Can a E9 Power a Beyer DT880 600Ω?
Jan 13, 2011 at 5:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

iLikeJarJar

New Head-Fier
I just got the Beyerdynamic DT880 600Ω version, along with a FiiO E9 amp. The problem is, the volume isnt very loud and it has less bass than my AT A700s. Whats wrong?

Jan 13, 2011 at 5:14 PM Post #2 of 18
DT880's aren't known for their bass quantity

Jan 13, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #3 of 18

Quote:
DT880's aren't known for their bass quantity

I thought they were? I read quite a few reviews about them having a noticable bass and these have less than my A700s, which are known for barely having any.

Jan 13, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #4 of 18
No, 770's have lots of bass, 990's also, 880's not

talking about quantity here, not quality

Jan 13, 2011 at 5:23 PM Post #6 of 18
I have a Perreaux SXH-1, which is manufacturer rated to push 80mw into 600ohm. That's the same as the E9. Actual testing shows the perreaux is pushing about 100mw into 600ohm, so it's about 25% stronger than rated. I don't know if the E9 is stronger than rated.

I get pretty good bass out of my DT880 / 600. It's no subwoofer, and it's not jumping around on my head, but it's well ahead of my Sennheiser HD-650s, which have a good reputation for bass. I wouldn't call the DT880s basshead cans, but neither would I call them bass anemic either.

I do have to push the volume on the perreaux to about 90% of full to get maximum comfortable listening volume. My wife is happier when I keep them around 80% to 85%.

I would think that the E9 should be pretty close to matching this, and I've heard several people say that the e7 + e9 combo works very well with the 600ohm DT880s. It's actually one of the more common recommendations I see, so I don't know.

Actually, what are you using as a source? I'm using an EMU 1212m soundcard, with output volume set just high enough that it doesn't clip (it has little warning "leds" to let you know if your source streams are clipping).

Jan 13, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #7 of 18
Are you using it with high gain? When I had that combo I couldn't even hit 12 o'clock on the dial without blowing my ears out. And the Beyers have plenty of bass...esp compared to the AT's. Something must be wrong...is your source volume at max?

-Daniel

Jan 13, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #8 of 18
I agree with this...on paper the E9 puts 80 mW into 600 ohms. Read that again: 80 milliwatts into 600 ohms. That is a TON of power. You're definitely going to need to flip the gain switch on the back of your E9 though, it should be pointing up to indicate that it's on.

As a disclaimer, I've never heard this can (I have the E9), but based on the technical specifications of the DT880 and the E9, you should be able to blow them off of your head...

Jan 13, 2011 at 9:29 PM Post #9 of 18
If you are one to consider 6Moons a trusted source, in their Asgard review they noted that the Asgard at 260mW @ 300ohms / 130mW @ 600ohms was not ideal for those impedances. Here is their chart - http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/schiit/5.html

Quote:
I agree with this...on paper the E9 puts 80 mW into 600 ohms. Read that again: 80 milliwatts into 600 ohms. That is a TON of power. You're definitely going to need to flip the gain switch on the back of your E9 though, it should be pointing up to indicate that it's on.

As a disclaimer, I've never heard this can (I have the E9), but based on the technical specifications of the DT880 and the E9, you should be able to blow them off of your head...

Jan 13, 2011 at 11:30 PM Post #10 of 18

Quote:
If you are one to consider 6Moons a trusted source, in their Asgard review they noted that the Asgard at 260mW @ 300ohms / 130mW @ 600ohms was not ideal for those impedances. Here is their chart - http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/schiit/5.html

Perhaps you should read it closer?  Amplifiers have their spec around a certain input level to reach their maximum output.  In that article you linked, he is feeding it with a 1Vrms source, which is half of what a CD player outputs.  I'd presume the Asgard is spec'd with a 2Vrms source input level.

Quote:
What can it drive? For most meaningful context, I used my 160GB Classic iPod in a Sieben Technology dock directly into the Asgard. That's a 1V max source, i.e. half the signal strength of a conventional CD player. Substituting a high-output DAC like the 10V Burson Audio HA160D or 5.5V Weiss DAC2 would obviously completely upset/reset the following list for achievable SPL but not raw drive. 

What this means is that you are not hitting the full power output of the amp.  You are *not* hitting 130mW @ 600 ohms.  You won't clip or anything, but there is not enough gain to compensate for a low level source.  If you have a low level source, you would need more gain, if you need more SPL.

To be honest, that link is completely worthless.  What would you rather have, an amp that clips with a standard CD player, and a volume control that can barely get past 8 o'clock?  Or, would you have full output, at max volume, without clipping?

IIRC, the gain of the Asgard is 5x.  If you really need more gain, I'm sure you can ask, when you order it.  It wouldn't be hard to change it, I would gather.  Just know that a gain of 10x would not be ideal when you use a standard level source, with sensitive headphones.  5x is a happy medium.  It's what I use for all my solid state amps, actually I prefer 3x or 4x, even with my 600ohm headphones.  When I need to drive headphones like a K1000, I would use a different gain level.  For everything else, it's more than adequate.

Here is the spec of the Beyerdynamic T1, which 6moons used in their chart.

Quote:
Code:
 [size=12px] TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS [/size] [size=12px]Impedance....................600Ω [/size] [size=12px]Nominal SPL ..................102dB(1mW/500Hz)[/size] [size=12px]Power handling capacity. . . . . . . . . . 300 mW[/size] [size=12px]Max.SPL .....................126dB(300mW/500Hz)[/size]

1mW to achieve 102dB @ 500Hz

From there, 130mW into the T1 would yield a bit less than 123dB but more than 120dB....assuming you have the proper source level to achieve it.  If not, fret not, just ask for more gain or use a standard source.

FWIW, I have amps with a gain of 8x-20x (tube amps for the gain stage), and I find it way too high for most of my headphones using a standard source level, as I barely get 2 or 3 clicks on my stepped potentiometer before it's too loud.  I can get about 5 or 6 clicks on my HD650.  This is a stepped pot with about 24 clicks total, IIRC.

Jan 13, 2011 at 11:45 PM Post #11 of 18

Quote:
I just got the Beyerdynamic DT880 600Ω version, along with a FiiO E9 amp. The problem is, the volume isnt very loud and it has less bass than my AT A700s. Whats wrong?

I can't really comment about this thing, because I don't have it and don't know much about it.  However, it has a gain switch.  Try switching it to high gain.

Low gain is 10dB (a voltage gain of 3.2x).
High gain is 18dB (a voltage gain of 7.9x).

Jan 13, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #12 of 18

Quote:
Actually, what are you using as a source? I'm using an EMU 1212m soundcard, with output volume set just high enough that it doesn't clip (it has little warning "leds" to let you know if your source streams are clipping).

The EMU-1212m states it is -10dBV nominal output.  This is about 0.77Vrms, which is very low.  It's not surprising, sound cards usually have either a 5V or 3.3V source voltage to play with as a power source....which isn't much.

Jan 14, 2011 at 9:18 AM Post #13 of 18
Having both of these units I will also attest to the fact that the E9 has absolutely no issues in regards to power for the 880/600s.  On high gain 12 o'clock is only tolerable for short periods and I am a person used to running sound for live rock shows using a minimum of 4 - 5kwrms of power.  The 880/600s have the least amount of bass of any of the beyers (of that line anyways) but their response if imho the cleanest and most accurate.  Hope this helps in some way.  

Jan 14, 2011 at 10:10 AM Post #14 of 18

Quote:
Quote:

The EMU-1212m states it is -10dBV nominal output.  This is about 0.77Vrms, which is very low.  It's not surprising, sound cards usually have either a 5V or 3.3V source voltage to play with as a power source....which isn't much.

Exactly my point. I still get enough volume out of my amp with even that low output from the SC, which is why I was wondering what the OP was using.

Jan 14, 2011 at 10:38 AM Post #15 of 18
To OP: Can the E9 power it? Hell yes.

I had both the 990/600 and 770/600, and anything past 12 is just begging to burst your ear drums. Most people won't even make it to 11 o clock.

You must have a really weak source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back