Campfire - Solaris
Apr 4, 2021 at 7:33 PM Post #11,027 of 12,035
Our review of the latest Campfire Audio Solaris "Flower" Limited Edition - an overall larger sound compared to the Solaris 2020 while retaining its smooth and warm signature.
Great review @Audiosolace thank you!
For what it's worth, there's a lot here I agree with.
In particular:
>sub-bass emphasis, particularly around your point regarding lack of mid-range bleed; I consider myself a basshead and find the LE's bass more than adequate, with great texture, speed, and a very nice sub-bass rumble
>smooth mid-range; I think I've mentioned in the past that I find the LE's mid-range a bit more forward and textured than the 2020's; not quite in line with your comments, but perhaps I'm hearing the same thing and just not as adept in articulating it
>definitely agree with the smooth and laidback treble
>definitely agree with the above average stage; 100% agree the LE has a wider and more holographic stage than the 2020

Couple of minor "disagreements," if you'd even call them that:
>I owned a Nio for a period of time and really struggled with the bass; m15 was too weak, while m20 was bloated, congested, and dis-organized. I much prefer the LE's bass to the Nio's
>I have never heard the Fourte; I did, however, own a Noir for quite awhile, and I ended up selling it because I found the treble much too sharp and sibilant. So, I'm a little surprised to read you compare the LE's treble to the Fourte (again, I've never heard the latter, but if it's even brighter and more forward than the Noir, I would have to kindly disagree with you)

Very well written, quick and succinct read.

thank you!

Apr 5, 2021 at 3:21 AM Post #11,028 of 12,035
Great review @Audiosolace thank you!
For what it's worth, there's a lot here I agree with.
In particular:
>sub-bass emphasis, particularly around your point regarding lack of mid-range bleed; I consider myself a basshead and find the LE's bass more than adequate, with great texture, speed, and a very nice sub-bass rumble
>smooth mid-range; I think I've mentioned in the past that I find the LE's mid-range a bit more forward and textured than the 2020's; not quite in line with your comments, but perhaps I'm hearing the same thing and just not as adept in articulating it
>definitely agree with the smooth and laidback treble
>definitely agree with the above average stage; 100% agree the LE has a wider and more holographic stage than the 2020

Couple of minor "disagreements," if you'd even call them that:
>I owned a Nio for a period of time and really struggled with the bass; m15 was too weak, while m20 was bloated, congested, and dis-organized. I much prefer the LE's bass to the Nio's
>I have never heard the Fourte; I did, however, own a Noir for quite awhile, and I ended up selling it because I found the treble much too sharp and sibilant. So, I'm a little surprised to read you compare the LE's treble to the Fourte (again, I've never heard the latter, but if it's even brighter and more forward than the Noir, I would have to kindly disagree with you)

Very well written, quick and succinct read.

thank you!

Thank you for your words.
I mentioned that the 64 Audio Nio was more authoritative than the LE - which it certainly is (in m20 configuration) - it has more moving mass and enveloping notes compared to the Solaris LE. Quality is another attribute entirely and I would say that the Solaris LE has a more resolute and disciplined bass line compared to the Nio.

I compared the Solaris LE to the Fourtes as they are both hybrid driver models with dynamic driver/balanced-armature driver configuration and a sound-shaping chamber for treble frequencies (the Solaris has TAEC and Fourte has its tia driver). I'm not sure what you disagree with in terms of the Fourte? The Fourte no doubt has a higher extension, detailing and air compared to the Solaris LE - they are quite different in tunings here with the LE adopting a laidback sound whereas the Fourte is more fortright and commands attention. The original Solaris also has better frequency extension than than the Solaris LE but then again the LE is tuned for a different and relatively darker sound.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2021 at 10:01 AM Post #11,029 of 12,035
Thank you for your words.
I mentioned that the 64 Audio Nio was more authoritative than the LE - which it certainly is (in m20 configuration) - it has more moving mass and enveloping notes compared to the Solaris LE. Quality is another attribute entirely and I would say that the Solaris LE has a more resolute and disciplined bass line compared to the Nio.

I compared the Solaris LE to the Fourtes as they are both hybrid driver models with dynamic driver/balanced-armature driver configuration and a sound-shaping chamber for treble frequencies (the Solaris has TAEC and Fourte has its tia driver). I'm not sure what you disagree with in terms of the Fourte? The Fourte no doubt has a higher extension, detailing and air compared to the Solaris LE - they are quite different in tunings here with the LE adopting a laidback sound whereas the Fourte is more fortright and commands attention. The original Solaris also has better frequency extension than than the Solaris LE but then again the LE is tuned for a different and relatively darker sound.
Thank you.
I suppose when I use the word 'authoritative,' I would mean a balance between quality and quantity, and I just struggled with Nio's bass so much that I would struggle to call it more authoritative. Of course, this is just my untrained ear, and just one man's opinion. I do agree that the LE's bass is of higher quality than Nio.
On treble and the Fourte, I probably should not have commented as I've never heard it. As I mentioned, my thoughts were based on the Noir (and I suppose what I've read about the Fourte). I would probably agree with your comment here, that while the LE's treble is more laidback (and as you wrote in your review, smooth), while the Fourte is more forthright etc.
Again, it was a well written review and I appreciated it.

Apr 5, 2021 at 10:09 AM Post #11,030 of 12,035
The flower is the only Solaris I haven't heard but I hope to remedy that soon. That said I will second @gnahra's endorsement of the bass on the Solaris. I have a Nio on hand right now, as well as a Dorado, which has more bass quantity but the same driver as the Solaris (which I owned in one form or another for a combined two years). Nio has more bass quantity than Solaris so I think that sometimes people who find Solaris too bass lite take a bit of shelter in the Nio. That said imho the raw bass quality of Campfire's driver is superior to that in the Nio-- Campfire's bass is dense and grippy and is very very satisfying even when comparatively reigned in as it is on Solaris. When it's unleashed and allowed to do its thing to some extent as it is in the Dorado it is absolutely magnificent and just as satisfying a bass response as on something like the IER Z1R. At any rate I was very satisfied with Solaris' bass quality the whole time I owned one and I haven't yet heard any other bass driver that can do what it does as well. YMMV, and all that.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #11,031 of 12,035
Our review of the latest Campfire Audio Solaris "Flower" Limited Edition - an overall larger sound compared to the Solaris 2020 while retaining its smooth and warm signature.
I like your review, very well laid out. It looks like the LE has better (wider) extension? Now I wonder maybe I should have read it before getting the Solaris 2020.

Apr 5, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #11,032 of 12,035
I like your review, very well laid out. It looks like the LE has better (wider) extension? Now I wonder maybe I should have read it before getting the Solaris 2020.

If you like the Solaris 2020, don't regret it because of one review. It's something I wish I learned earlier on...how to be "objectively objective (is that a thing, lol?)" when reading any review. If you like it you like it!

One of the beauties of this industry is if you want to try something new for the sake of trying something new, you can too. Decide you want to flip the 2020 and grab the LE anyways? Go for it. Make some good notes of your impressions on 2020 if you don't have the ability to have both at the same time and compare them side by side.

The Solaris is one of those IEMs where I've learned to appreciate each of the different variations for what they are.

Don't want to take how excellent of a read @Audiosolace's review is, however!

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2021 at 4:22 AM Post #11,033 of 12,035
So after selling my Solaris SE when the 2020 was announced, I’ve since sold the 2020... Got an OG... Sold the OG... And now gone full circle and got another SE 😂

Absolutely loving the faceplates on this particular unit!
4C5FD625-8C3C-4BA0-AEB1-A7912ECCF2F8.jpeg

They look much nicer than my original set in my opinion:
D5ED8B9A-B67F-4E1B-9DB4-14FCFEE86736.jpeg

Quick listening impression while I’ve still got the OG on hand to compare - the midrange is MUCH better on the SE compared to OG to my ears. CA did great with their mid BA upgrade and ceramic chamber on the SE.

Stage might be a touch narrower on SE compared to OG. SE is still very expansive though. I would gladly take a slight stage reduction for the extra midrange depth anyway.

Happy to have these babies back :) I’ll be sure to hold onto them this time

Apr 7, 2021 at 10:52 AM Post #11,034 of 12,035
So after selling my Solaris SE when the 2020 was announced, I’ve since sold the 2020... Got an OG... Sold the OG... And now gone full circle and got another SE 😂

Absolutely loving the faceplates on this particular unit!
4C5FD625-8C3C-4BA0-AEB1-A7912ECCF2F8.jpeg

They look much nicer than my original set in my opinion:
D5ED8B9A-B67F-4E1B-9DB4-14FCFEE86736.jpeg

Quick listening impression while I’ve still got the OG on hand to compare - the midrange is MUCH better on the SE compared to OG to my ears. CA did great with their mid BA upgrade and ceramic chamber on the SE.

Stage might be a touch narrower on SE compared to OG. SE is still very expansive though. I would gladly take a slight stage reduction for the extra midrange depth anyway.

Happy to have these babies back :) I’ll be sure to hold onto them this time
Look reallllll familiar 😜
364D212F-F463-4346-8923-E4D6DB43C240.jpeg

Apr 10, 2021 at 5:43 PM Post #11,035 of 12,035
For those of you that follow the Plussound thread I apologize for cross-posting, but had to share this here as well as it related to my Solaris LE.
I sent @PLUSSOUND a cable (which was not originally their cable) to have the mmcx connectors checked and upgrade to a rhodium-plated 4.4mm termination.
Service was excellent, craftsmanship superb, and the end result is beautfiul IMHO.

423BD952-7407-4364-95FC-09DAE229B827.jpeg

Apr 13, 2021 at 5:15 AM Post #11,036 of 12,035
Hi colleagues, I have been owning Solaris OG for quite a while, and now looking to step up my IEM game. If that's even possible, could you recommend an IEM superior to our beloved Solaris? I'm looking for better everything, if such thing actually exists :) And hopefully, it's not costing 5 times more. What I also love about Solaris is that it's not fatiguing, and it's absolutely best for metal among anything I ever heard, I even prefer it to my Diana V2, when it goes to metal music. Any recommendations? AAW Canary? NA Sultan? Elysium? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2021 at 6:04 AM Post #11,037 of 12,035
If that's even possible, could you recommend an IEM superior to our beloved Solaris? I'm looking for better everything, if such thing actually exists
It depends a lot on what you like about Solaris.
For me (and i'm leaning towards more reference audiophile tonality) both U12t and VE8 is a clear upgrade, but both are pure BA, and some people might miss the dynamic bass response.

I would rate it below Solaris myself, but many would disagree :)

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2021 at 6:29 AM Post #11,038 of 12,035
It depends a lot on what you like about Solaris.
For me (and i'm leaning towards more reference audiophile tonality) both U12t and VE8 is a clear upgrade, but both are pure BA, and some people might miss the dynamic bass response.
I love the soundstage, how instruments are separated, I love its punch and details, and what I also love a lot is how palpable sometimes rock music sounds with it! :) It would be awesome if I could find something that scales up all those aspects!

Apr 13, 2021 at 7:03 AM Post #11,039 of 12,035
ّ
Hi colleagues, I have been owning Solaris OG for quite a while, and now looking to step up my IEM game. If that's even possible, could you recommend an IEM superior to our beloved Solaris? I'm looking for better everything, if such thing actually exists :) And hopefully, it's not costing 5 times more. What I also love about Solaris is that it's not fatiguing, and it's absolutely best for metal among anything I ever heard, I even prefer it to my Diana V2, when it goes to metal music. Any recommendations? AAW Canary? NA Sultan? Elysium? Thanks in advance!
I've heard EE Odin is the "better everything" upgrade. but it's too pricey.

Apr 13, 2021 at 8:03 AM Post #11,040 of 12,035
ّ

I've heard EE Odin is the "better everything" upgrade. but it's too pricey.
It is a little different tonally but yes it’s mostly superior in technical ability. Deeper textured bass impact and decay, detailed clear mids and very smooth but detailed treble. Separation is nice and the soundstage has great depth and width.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back