Campfire - Solaris
Mar 25, 2021 at 10:15 PM Post #11,011 of 12,035
And yet purely in terms of enjoyment/engagement it absolutely does. The Dorado is currently my #3 IEM, behind only the Elysium and the Z1R.

I am not sure about the Elysium, but for the IER-Z1R: if it doesn’t fit, then you must acquit. Yes, and this is after the news of the latest Bronco adopting the old 1966 punchline of G.O.A.T., or Goes On All Terrain. :wink:

Mar 26, 2021 at 8:32 PM Post #11,013 of 12,035
How do the Solaris 2020 SE Flowers sound? Haven't seen much on them...

I've heard various reports. I'll get to demo a set myself soon, which I'm looking forward to.

Edit: I'm actually really curious if the LE has the same ceramic tuning chamber as the SE (or any ceramic at all). I think that's a source of a lot of the magic with the Dorado and I would hope it's going to be a staple of Solaris going forward.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2021 at 5:27 AM Post #11,014 of 12,035
I think on the whole the solaris is my fav tuned iem even though I have technically better. What iem is a upgrade on the gold solaris?

Mar 29, 2021 at 6:05 AM Post #11,016 of 12,035
Empire Ears Odin
I was thinking the same about upgrading the solaris to the next level... I've been looking at the Odin too. From what I read the bass is similar, but what about the rest? Also how is the comfort? The OG solaris is ok, I just got the spinfit CP145 tips because the final audio E ended up hurting my ears after wearing for maybe <1hr. The spinfits ones definitely more comfortable. Size wise the solaris are OK otherwise

Mar 29, 2021 at 6:45 AM Post #11,017 of 12,035
I think on the whole the solaris is my fav tuned iem even though I have technically better. What iem is a upgrade on the gold solaris?
I saw @Damz87 saying the EE Odin. I think it's a fantastic IEM too, but not sure about referring to it as a pure upgrade.

@gazzington I just wanted to ask you if you could clarify what you mean by 'upgrade', as it might help me and others to give the best possible suggestions?
Do you just mean an IEM with a better technical performance? Or something with a very similar sound signature to the gold Solaris, but improved performance?
Or...?

From my own perspective, I have the Solaris 2020 and the EE Odin and I love both.
I heard the OG (gold) Solaris briefly at London CanJam, but that was in 2019 and I couldn't say what the differences are between the OG and 2020 versions.

However, as far as the 2020 version goes, for me there's a huge difference between Odin and Solaris 2020.
As I say, I don't know how that difference would be for the OG Solaris and the Odin, but if it's anything like Solaris 2020 vs Odin, I don't think I could say it's as simple as the Odin being a straight upgrade.

If I've spent a few days listening to the Solaris and then switch to the Odin, it's a pretty jarring shock.
To my hearing, the Odin seems to have quite bright and forward upper mids and treble.
The sub-bas is pretty powerful, but I hear it as being comparatively neutral in the mid-bass and lower mids.
Together, this makes the prominence of the upper mids and treble even more exacerbated and, until I get used to the new sound signature, it can make the lower mids seem pretty scooped-out and empty.

Once I've listened to the Odin for a while, this feeling mostly goes away.
I'd always wish for a bit more body, presence and richness in the lower mids, even after extensive listening, but I feel like that about most IEMs, so that's just a personal preference.
Aside from that, the Odin is astonishingly good and it's technical performance in particular is outstanding in my opinion.

I love Solaris 2020 for being non-fatiguing and having the body and weight in the mids that make vocal performances sound excellent and bring the best out of rock music.
I find the sound signature to be a bit dark and intimate, which at first can make me feel that it's not got such a great technical performance, but once I adjust to the sound signature, I start noticing the impressive detail retrieval and technical ability. The soundstage is fairly large, but I just don't perceive it immediately because of the sound signature.

Note that I'm using New Bee foam tips; I'd imagine Azla Sedna or the various silicone tips described on this thread would change that sound signature a bit.
Ditto a good silver cable; I tried Eletech's Plato and it really transformed the sound signature for me, making it significantly brighter and more open compared with the stock cable.

So to draw all this to a hopefully vaguely coherent conclusion, my point is that I personally wouldn't describe Odin as a straight upgrade to the Solaris.
I think they're tuned very differently and it's a privilege to have them both in my collection.

If you wanted an IEM with a more similar sound signature to Solaris (again, I can only go on my experience with the 2020 model) but with upgraded technical performance, then of the TOTL and Summit-Fi IEMs I've heard, I'd probably say the MMR Thummim is the one that springs to mind for having the most in common sound-wise, with an outstanding technical performance. Possibly the new JHA Jolene, but I'm only going on impressions that I've read :)

Mar 29, 2021 at 8:50 AM Post #11,019 of 12,035
It really depends on exactly what is being sought and what the priorities are. I looked for 2 years for an IEM that was a wholesale upgrade to the Solaris. I went through a lot of great IEMs in the process and while some did excel the Solaris in some ways I never did manage to find a strict upgrade to it. The Odin is an obvious choice however @Layman1's comments about prominent upper mids/treble/ weak body in lower mids etc. are exactly what worry me personally going in and a possible indicator that maybe Odin is not really the best choice for someone who wants a Solaris+. For myself I've properly fallen in love with the Campfire Dorado 2020. It's not what I would consider a direct upgrade to Solaris but it provides a different take on the typical Campfire sound. Unless you're specifically looking for something with Solaris' vast holographic stage then the Dorado may be something to consider. It's pretty much a mid-point between the Atlas and the Solaris and in my opinion and experience it's the most accomplished and best sounding Campfire IEM to date.

Mar 29, 2021 at 9:46 AM Post #11,020 of 12,035
It really depends on exactly what is being sought and what the priorities are. I looked for 2 years for an IEM that was a wholesale upgrade to the Solaris. I went through a lot of great IEMs in the process and while some did excel the Solaris in some ways I never did manage to find a strict upgrade to it. The Odin is an obvious choice however @Layman1's comments about prominent upper mids/treble/ weak body in lower mids etc. are exactly what worry me personally going in and a possible indicator that maybe Odin is not really the best choice for someone who wants a Solaris+. For myself I've properly fallen in love with the Campfire Dorado 2020. It's not what I would consider a direct upgrade to Solaris but it provides a different take on the typical Campfire sound. Unless you're specifically looking for something with Solaris' vast holographic stage then the Dorado may be something to consider. It's pretty much a mid-point between the Atlas and the Solaris and in my opinion and experience it's the most accomplished and best sounding Campfire IEM to date.
there's no point in considering odin if someone wants a solaris. maybe if they're upgrading from the ier z1r or some strong V shaped iem. but what makes the solaris solaris besides the cfa sound is the lower mids, imo, just like my preferred women, thick and beautiful

maybe sultan? idk. it's hard replacing solaris if you want the solaris sound, i myself got lucky with plunge but for the normal listener maybe some totl cable upgrade is enough.

Mar 30, 2021 at 12:30 AM Post #11,022 of 12,035
but what makes the solaris solaris besides the cfa sound is the lower mids, imo, just like my preferred women, thick and beautiful

You really need to hear the Dorado.

Mar 30, 2021 at 6:03 AM Post #11,024 of 12,035
You really need to hear the Dorado.
mate trust me the plunge is everything you could imagine and everything you can't. ungodly amounts of thickness in the mids along with very bass heavy response and dark sparkled up treble and yet somehow it's not congested in the absolute least and everything plays together, bass is so strong but never muddies anything and did i mention that it's quality surpasses the ier z1r? i'll have to try the mdr ex1k to see if it surpasses the 16mm dd too.

14.3mm planar + 6mm dd on bass is absolutely nuts. it is bonkers.

i was a bit sad that i didn't get an amt in the custom at first but after a while i think that planar was actually the right call, as amt can't do subbass and planar just adds so much to the lower frequencies.

Mar 30, 2021 at 7:33 PM Post #11,025 of 12,035
Empire Ears Odin
This this this! Especially if you are referring to the "consistently tuned" variant of the OG Solaris. I personally cannot really get behind the Solaris 2020 as I enjoyed the OG and SE much more. The 2020 felt garbled and muddy from the lower mid thickness unless I put it on a really lean source, which I don't enjoy because it thins out the treble.

@Rockwell75 ... I have the Odin, I have the Dorado 2020 and I have heard all Solaris variants. The Odin is closer sounding to the Dorado 2020 than Solaris 2020. The Odin is essentially an OG Solaris turned up to 1. Insane detail retrieval, much better bass quality and gorgeous but smoothed out e-stat treble. If you go from a particularly thick prominent warm signature to a hyper clear and detailed signature like Odin, it would make the upper mids seem pushed up. Brain burn in is definitely real in that much of a different signature, as @Layman1 mentioned. The Odin still has weight but its not molasses like weight. It's enough weight for musicality and body but not overdone. I don't know why I typed all this since you'll have a demo set in your hands soon lmao... but hey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back