Campfire - Solaris
May 30, 2020 at 10:54 AM Post #9,076 of 12,035
I'm glad that they have decided to get rid of memory wire in their cables; it appears that more people dislike it than those who do.

I never had an issue with the wire but the new cable is definitely better.

May 30, 2020 at 10:57 AM Post #9,077 of 12,035
I never had an issue with the wire but the new cable is definitely better.
I've always had an issue with the wires staying in place; they'd constantly "pop out" so they would sorta hover over the back of my ears, instead of resting on them. I know I'm being a little nitpicky here, but this has always caused some form of discomfort - 10% physical and 90% mental!

May 30, 2020 at 11:03 AM Post #9,078 of 12,035
I've always had an issue with the wires staying in place; they'd constantly "pop out" so they would sorta hover over the back of my ears, instead of resting on them. I know I'm being a little nitpicky here, but this has always caused some form of discomfort - 10% physical and 90% mental!

Yeah I'm a fairly large guy with fairly large ears so I've managed to avoid the fitment issues many experience. Incidentally after lusting over the IER Z1R cable last year when I finally got one I actually found myself using the OG Solaris cable on it as the memory wire actually helped hold those gigantic units in my ears.

May 30, 2020 at 12:57 PM Post #9,079 of 12,035
It's very easy to remove the wires from CA/ALO cables. I did it for all the ones I own. I explained how I did it here a long time ago and @ExpatinJapan documented how he did it on his website, https://www.headpie.net.

May 30, 2020 at 1:55 PM Post #9,080 of 12,035
Yeah I'm a fairly large guy with fairly large ears so I've managed to avoid the fitment issues many experience. Incidentally after lusting over the IER Z1R cable last year when I finally got one I actually found myself using the OG Solaris cable on it as the memory wire actually helped hold those gigantic units in my ears.
In theory, it's a reasonable concept but every cable that I've tried recently falls naturally into place, so memory wire has become a little redundant over the years, I feel. It was probably more relevant in the early days when stock/aftermarket cables weren't so pliable, and the wire gauges were thinner. In any case, I am glad that it works for you. :)

It's very easy to remove the wires from CA/ALO cables. I did it for all the ones I own. I explained how I did it here a long time ago and @ExpatinJapan documented how he did it on his website, https://www.headpie.net.
Thanks, but I actually sold the Super Litz cable a couple of months after I got my OG Solaris; it went unused throughout.

May 31, 2020 at 12:54 PM Post #9,081 of 12,035
May 31, 2020 at 12:57 PM Post #9,082 of 12,035
https://everydaylistening.net/2020/05/31/campfire-audio-solaris-2020-review-reformed/

@ryanjsoo 's excellent review of the Solaris 2020 (that for some reason he posted everywhere but the Solaris thread itself lol). I'm still craving more 2020 vs. SE comparisons if anyone has them. So far I'm still convinced that the SE is best for my needs/tastes...but I'm excited to hear the 2020 some day.
I've had my Solaris 2020 baking since Tuesday so I'll start comparing the family either today or tomorrow.

May 31, 2020 at 4:08 PM Post #9,085 of 12,035
Another DAP first impressions for Solaris OG and 2020 owners. The FiiO m11 Pro has horrible ergonomics but sounded great so I took a chance and also bought the HiBy R6 Pro as well, which got here today.

Ergonomics on the R6 Pro are amazing, 1000% better than the M11 Pro. Its a joy to hold in your hand, the perfect height for easy use, and easily fits in your hand and into to any pocket! It absolutely perfect, touching it put a big grin on my face. But it was completely destroyed as soon as I plugged in the Solaris. There is HEAVY hissing from the 3.5 port and it only gets louder on the 4.4 port. Both the OG Solaris and the 2020's have VERY noticeable hiss which bleeds heavily into the music. Present at all listening volume levels in fact worse when you lower the volume because the hiss is then louder than the music.

The music that you can hear over the hissing is not nearly as dynamic as the m11 pro, and is not worth tolerating the hissing. Playing music on my iPhone 11 Pro and Apple dongle has a lot less hiss (still noticeable not 100% black) and better dynamics when playing music than the hiby r6 pro 3.5. I am rather upset because Headfonics review of the r6 pro mentioned hiss but said nothing about how it's completely unusable. How could they not just have a blatant warning against it?

Of course plugging in a iematch solves the hiss out of the 3.5 and actually improves dynamics but that completely defeats the notion of an optimal pairing. I do not recommend a HiBy R6 Pro to any OG Solaris or 2020 owner for pairing.

May 31, 2020 at 4:15 PM Post #9,086 of 12,035
My 2020s will arrive at some point this week and I am looking forward to them, as I loved the OGs but ultimately couldn't live with their size.

However, aslfter reading the last few pages of this thread, I have a confession : I will be using the cable they come with, and plugging them into my LG V30 phone, not a DAP.

I realise this makes me a complete freak, do you think you could ever forgive me?

Last edited:
May 31, 2020 at 4:19 PM Post #9,087 of 12,035
My 2020s will arrive at some point this week and I am looking forward to them, as I loved the OGs but ultimately couldn't live with their size.

However, aslfter reading the last few pages of this thread, I have a confession : I will be using the cable they come with, and plugging them into my LG V30 phone, not a DAP.

I realise this makes me a complete freak l, do you think you could ever forgive me?

I am currently using the stock cable with the m11 pro, no issues at all and sounds fantastic. It is very comfortable and light weight.

May 31, 2020 at 4:20 PM Post #9,088 of 12,035

I realise this makes me a complete freak l, do you think you could ever forgive me?

I heard that the V30 has great sound quality...coupled with the much slicker interface of a phone should make it pure win.

May 31, 2020 at 4:57 PM Post #9,089 of 12,035
Another DAP first impressions for Solaris OG and 2020 owners. The FiiO m11 Pro has horrible ergonomics but sounded great so I took a chance and also bought the HiBy R6 Pro as well, which got here today.

Ergonomics on the R6 Pro are amazing, 1000% better than the M11 Pro. Its a joy to hold in your hand, the perfect height for easy use, and easily fits in your hand and into to any pocket! It absolutely perfect, touching it put a big grin on my face. But it was completely destroyed as soon as I plugged in the Solaris. There is HEAVY hissing from the 3.5 port and it only gets louder on the 4.4 port. Both the OG Solaris and the 2020's have VERY noticeable hiss which bleeds heavily into the music. Present at all listening volume levels in fact worse when you lower the volume because the hiss is then louder than the music.

The music that you can hear over the hissing is not nearly as dynamic as the m11 pro, and is not worth tolerating the hissing. Playing music on my iPhone 11 Pro and Apple dongle has a lot less hiss (still noticeable not 100% black) and better dynamics when playing music than the hiby r6 pro 3.5. I am rather upset because Headfonics review of the r6 pro mentioned hiss but said nothing about how it's completely unusable. How could they not just have a blatant warning against it?

Of course plugging in a iematch solves the hiss out of the 3.5 and actually improves dynamics but that completely defeats the notion of an optimal pairing. I do not recommend a HiBy R6 Pro to any OG Solaris or 2020 owner for pairing.
I have the M11 Pro as well and don't see the issue with ergonomics. I mean it is squared and all but its not sharp enough to even leave an indent in my hand. Did you get a bad one or something ?

May 31, 2020 at 5:25 PM Post #9,090 of 12,035
https://everydaylistening.net/2020/05/31/campfire-audio-solaris-2020-review-reformed/

@ryanjsoo 's excellent review of the Solaris 2020 (that for some reason he posted everywhere but the Solaris thread itself lol). I'm still craving more 2020 vs. SE comparisons if anyone has them. So far I'm still convinced that the SE is best for my needs/tastes...but I'm excited to hear the 2020 some day.

I found this review quite accurate based on my experience. I am not sure if this is necessarily a good thing but matching with dx228ex I also felt "Soundstage is more intimate" as compared to SE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back