Campfire - Solaris
May 26, 2020 at 9:34 PM Post #8,941 of 12,035
all well said; i'd only add that the fact that many of us have both the Solaris (in one of its derivatives) and the LX in our collections is very telling

It's amazing how differently we all hear things. When I was researching the LX I asked about it in another thread here and on places like Discord and the response I got was overwhelmingly was that it was a bloated, unlistenable suffocating bassy mess. I put off trying it for a bit but when I eventually finally heard it I was sold immediately and subsequently haunted by the memory of it until I got one of my own.

Last edited:
May 26, 2020 at 9:57 PM Post #8,942 of 12,035
It's amazing how differently we all hear things. When I was researching the LX I asked about it in another thread here and on places like Discord and the response I got was overwhelmingly was that it was a bloated, unlistenable suffocating bassy mess. I put off trying it for a bit but when I eventually finally heard it I was sold immediately and subsequently haunted by the memory of it until I got one of my own.
The LX sounds so good that I’m afraid of the possibilities of Odin.

May 26, 2020 at 9:59 PM Post #8,943 of 12,035
My money is on the Odin being a tri-brid, building on the Valk. If that's the case, I would guess it'll sound quite different from the LX (just based on the LX vs Valk); so, I don't think the Odin will replace the LX. Purely speculative, of course.

May 26, 2020 at 10:15 PM Post #8,944 of 12,035
My money is on the Odin being a tri-brid, building on the Valk. If that's the case, I would guess it'll sound quite different from the LX (just based on the LX vs Valk); so, I don't think the Odin will replace the LX. Purely speculative, of course.
I speculate that the Odin will be a build off of the Wraith. I think it will be a more balanced version of the LX with gobs of clarity, separation and detail. Shall be interesting. I mean imagine the Valkyrie with full bodied mids... oooof

May 26, 2020 at 10:18 PM Post #8,945 of 12,035
Got my Solaris 2020 today! First impressions, they are small! They fit very well and crazy better than the original Solaris. Thank heavens for that. I was really excited until I started to listen to them...they sound awful right out of the box. That first impression is not a great one. I know I should burn them in before any real impressions but i wanted to test the fit and size so I figured why not play a few songs. I wish I hadn't. Lacking the bass and depth of my golds, and they are more shrill in the highs. It's a bit fatiguing to listen to them as is. I tried rolling a few tips to see if that was it but didn't help.

Clearly it wasn't a great idea to listen to them right out of the box with no burn in at all and totally not fair to compare to my year old Solaris. Going to start to burn them in now to make impressions between them and my OG Solaris. I am also now worried that my ZX300 may not pair well with them like my OG Solaris. I hope the burn in really opens these up, I wasn't sure I wanted to part with the zx300. But now I am worried I need to be Dap hunting. Gonna find out in a few days lol

sounds to me like hadn’t a good/right seal or a defective unit ...

May 26, 2020 at 10:31 PM Post #8,946 of 12,035

Same here. I wrote off the LX based on the small bits and pieces I saw online until I read your impressions. And now after reading more and more LX owners thoughts I’m realising that they actually sound perfect for my preferences. Can’t wait for mine to arrive!

May 27, 2020 at 12:15 AM Post #8,948 of 12,035
Same here. I wrote off the LX based on the small bits and pieces I saw online until I read your impressions. And now after reading more and more LX owners thoughts I’m realising that they actually sound perfect for my preferences. Can’t wait for mine to arrive!

Can confirm you're in for a treat. Z1R, LX and Solaris would make a God-tier triumvirate.

May 27, 2020 at 12:20 AM Post #8,949 of 12,035

It could very well be epic. However for me it will probably be in the same category as the Vision Ears stuff-- I'll be desperate to try it but it will be priced so far out of my reach that my only hope to try it will be finding a deal on the used market.

May 27, 2020 at 1:10 AM Post #8,950 of 12,035
Got my Solaris 2020 today. Got diver flex every time putting in for the right side. Tiny bit of hiss on Centrance DACportable with gain set to low.

Will spend next few days to see how it sounds and do some burn-ins in between.

Super early impressions (1hr in): definitely not as forgiving and smooth than W80, Altas and TF10. I immediately feel bad recordings get revealed ruthlessly like my Genelec 8040.

Last edited:
May 27, 2020 at 8:29 AM Post #8,951 of 12,035
B992DE14-802F-4093-ACA2-8A17CF1A7E1E.jpeg

Here’s a shot with better lighting :) what a sweet pair up :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back