Campfire - Solaris
May 21, 2020 at 8:28 PM Post #8,701 of 12,035
Not much...most people over the age of about 12 can't hear that high, and if they say they do, they’re probably lying to you

If you have a Solaris 2020, based in my case and based on the pictures of Caleb on the campfire audio website, you want the body of the earpiece at close to a 45 degree angle with the cable exiting at a diagonal upward and forwards.
1590106927976.jpeg

If you have an OG or SE Solaris, because it sits further out from your ear, different people have found different orientations more comfortable (some with the iem body more vertical and cable exiting forward, some with the iem body More horizontal and the cable exiting more vertically). For me, again the best position was diagonal, but others in conversations in this thread preferred the iem almost vertical with The cable exiting almost parallel to the ground.

Awe he's a bit of an earlet.

May 21, 2020 at 8:37 PM Post #8,702 of 12,035
Not much...most people over the age of about 12 can't hear that high, and if they say they do, they’re probably lying to you

If you have a Solaris 2020, based in my case and based on the pictures of Caleb on the campfire audio website, you want the body of the earpiece at close to a 45 degree angle with the cable exiting at a diagonal upward and forwards.
1590106927976.jpeg

If you have an OG or SE Solaris, because it sits further out from your ear, different people have found different orientations more comfortable (some with the iem body more vertical and cable exiting forward, some with the iem body More horizontal and the cable exiting more vertically). For me, again the best position was diagonal, but others in conversations in this thread preferred the iem almost vertical with The cable exiting almost parallel to the ground.
I saw those pictures and have been trying it that way, but I need a super super shallow fit with ultra large tips otherwise that way definitely causes pressure points. More forward and it fits into my ear better.

Still just haven't quite figured out what's best for me yet. I have trouble with a lot of iems as I think my ears are just kinda difficult and sensitive.

May 21, 2020 at 8:45 PM Post #8,703 of 12,035
I saw those pictures and have been trying it that way, but I need a super super shallow fit with ultra large tips otherwise that way definitely causes pressure points. More forward and it fits into my ear better.

Still just haven't quite figured out what's best for me yet. I have trouble with a lot of iems as I think my ears are just kinda difficult and sensitive.
Everyone’s ears are different. If having the body of the iem more vertical with the cable exiting more horizontally forward, it’s definitely not “wrong”. Whatever way it most comfortably nestles in the hollow of your ear so it isn’t causing pressure points and are able to get the proper insertion to get a good seal is the “right” way for you.

May 21, 2020 at 8:53 PM Post #8,704 of 12,035
Everyone’s ears are different. If having the body of the iem more vertical with the cable exiting more horizontally forward, it’s definitely not “wrong”. Whatever way it most comfortably nestles in the hollow of your ear so it isn’t causing pressure points and are able to get the proper insertion to get a good seal is the “right” way for you.
Oh I'm aware. Just neither has been quite right yet. Still just trying to figure it out. The og or SE definitely would have been terrible for me.

May 21, 2020 at 11:25 PM Post #8,705 of 12,035
Good to see these IEMs in the hands of some great reviewers and lovely photos! Here are my FR comparisons between the Andro 2018 and 2020, avg of 3. Put this in my THL impressions but still getting some questions about it so will post here, hope it helps!

As you can see, wide-band midrange boost and a small lower-treble one with basically identical bass. In listening, the tone is a bit cleaner and they aren't quite as full-bodied through the midrange. Vocals are indeed more forward, but the presentation isn't altered to the extent that the 2020 would alienate fans of the original imo. Lows sound perhaps a hair more controlled but mostly the same, and that lower-treble boost brings details more into focus so it sounds less atmospheric than the old Andro and the imaging is a tad sharper but also more conventional. In this respect, I feel the original Andro has this very ethereal sense of positioning that many like and would attribute as responsible for its holographic presentation. While the new Andro is sharper and technically improved, some may miss that more floaty and ethereal presentation of the former revision. Will be interested in user impressions as they become more available, happy listening guys!

Campfire Audio Andromeda 2020 (green) vs Andromeda 2018 (black).png

May 22, 2020 at 2:14 AM Post #8,706 of 12,035
I'm in the UK so have to wait for my 2020s to get to my seller (hifiheadphones) first, before I get them. Feel my pain, brothers, feel my pain!

Same here. Just preoredered the Solaris 2020 along with super litz 2.5 cable.Waiting for hifiheadphones to have them in stock.Yesterday I dropped them an email and they told me they should have stock within the next two weeks. I guess we can just wait and in the meantime read the thread :wink:

May 22, 2020 at 3:34 AM Post #8,708 of 12,035
I think I'm there with you. Then again I think it's really hard to go wrong in this price range. Going to have some tough decisions about what to keep and what to sell, probably will come down to comfort.

Speaking of comfort, I still am not settled with the Solaris. It's comfortable for the most part, but definitely gets uncomfortable after a while. Still trying to figure out if cable points up at the ear or straight forward and figuring out shallower or slightly deeper fit.
Try more tips , I had the problem too , it’s gone with spiral dots :) yesterday 7 h straight without any comfort issues

May 22, 2020 at 4:05 AM Post #8,709 of 12,035
Good to see these IEMs in the hands of some great reviewers and lovely photos! Here are my FR comparisons between the Andro 2018 and 2020, avg of 3. Put this in my THL impressions but still getting some questions about it so will post here, hope it helps!

As you can see, wide-band midrange boost and a small lower-treble one with basically identical bass. In listening, the tone is a bit cleaner and they aren't quite as full-bodied through the midrange. Vocals are indeed more forward, but the presentation isn't altered to the extent that the 2020 would alienate fans of the original imo. Lows sound perhaps a hair more controlled but mostly the same, and that lower-treble boost brings details more into focus so it sounds less atmospheric than the old Andro and the imaging is a tad sharper but also more conventional. In this respect, I feel the original Andro has this very ethereal sense of positioning that many like and would attribute as responsible for its holographic presentation. While the new Andro is sharper and technically improved, some may miss that more floaty and ethereal presentation of the former revision. Will be interested in user impressions as they become more available, happy listening guys!

Campfire Audio Andromeda 2020 (green) vs Andromeda 2018 (black).png

Looks better this year

Subtonic Audio Cutting-edge artisanal in-ear monitors for discerning listeners. Proudly designed and manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Subtonic Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Subtonic.Audio https://www.instagram.com/subtonicaudio https://subtonic.audio support@subtonic.audio
May 22, 2020 at 8:21 AM Post #8,710 of 12,035
Try more tips , I had the problem too , it’s gone with spiral dots :) yesterday 7 h straight without any comfort issues
Oh believe me I have been tip rolling like crazy. The problem often is that after the discomfort starts, I can't get back to a comfortable position, so it's like I gotta wait for a whole new day with a a new configuration to start over

May 22, 2020 at 9:36 AM Post #8,713 of 12,035
May 22, 2020 at 9:45 AM Post #8,714 of 12,035
every one with a solaris .. get these tips ..

https://www.mtmtaudio.com/collectio...rtips-6-sizes-for-in-ear-monitor-iem-earphone

sedna earfit light

thank me later :)

I have the Sedna tips and I do like them but I think the M I got is too big for use with the Solaris and need to order either a MS or S. I also have Symbio W tips that I have removed the foam from and the S almost seems a bit too small but the M a bit too big. Still trying to find that tip that gives me the perfect comfort and sound for longer listening sessions. So far the Symbio W M is the tip I have been using and it's fine for the first couple of hours but then I can start to notice some pressure points.

May 22, 2020 at 9:56 AM Post #8,715 of 12,035
Just got the Sedna lights, normally I use M tips but even the MS feel a bit large to me, might have to try the S. I'm also tempted to get a set of the Symbio W in S the M just isn't comfortable for me with the foam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back