Campfire - Solaris
May 16, 2020 at 10:39 PM Post #8,431 of 12,035
IMHO the main difference between the main 4 different hybrids under discussion (Solaris, Z1R, Trio, LX) is the degree to which they are v-shaped. Solaris is the least v-shaped, then Z1R, Trio and lastly the LX having the most elevated bass response. I seem to have a thing for extremes.
Indeed. I still havent heard the LX yet, but based on my brief experience with the valkyrie I am 99% positive I wouldnt be able to use it for more than maybe 20 minutes at a time.

I guess I would classify the z1r as more v shaped, but going off memory, I find the treble energy similar between them, with maybe slightly recessed mids but then a bigger focus on the bass. I guess that would be more v shaped, it just seems to equal out in the treble for me, if that makes sense. Still havent done any direct comparisons with the z1r though. But the sound it puts out just really does it for me and I am reminded how much I just love the tuning every time I use them, and also how much the fit annoys me. Now I guess I just need sony to pull a campfire move and release an updated z1r with the same (or very similar tuning) in a smaller more comfortable package.

The solaris again, as good as it is, didnt really wow me on first listen, as I remember with the SE. I guess thats likely due to its more neutral-ish tuning. But its definitely really growing on me, and depending on how the fit holds up for me over longer listening sessions, I actually could potentially see myself parting with the trio. But, way too early to tell. Somethings gonna have to go relatively soon, but way too soon to tell.

May 16, 2020 at 10:44 PM Post #8,432 of 12,035
Indeed. I still havent heard the LX yet, but based on my brief experience with the valkyrie I am 99% positive I wouldnt be able to use it for more than maybe 20 minutes at a time.

I guess I would classify the z1r as more v shaped, but going off memory, I find the treble energy similar between them, with maybe slightly recessed mids but then a bigger focus on the bass. I guess that would be more v shaped, it just seems to equal out in the treble for me, if that makes sense. Still havent done any direct comparisons with the z1r though. But the sound it puts out just really does it for me and I am reminded how much I just love the tuning every time I use them, and also how much the fit annoys me. Now I guess I just need sony to pull a campfire move and release an updated z1r with the same (or very similar tuning) in a smaller more comfortable package.

The solaris again, as good as it is, didnt really wow me on first listen, as I remember with the SE. I guess thats likely due to its more neutral-ish tuning. But its definitely really growing on me, and depending on how the fit holds up for me over longer listening sessions, I actually could potentially see myself parting with the trio. But, way too early to tell. Somethings gonna have to go relatively soon, but way too soon to tell.
I’m in the same boat... I can’t have 10k in IEM’s laying around waiting to be used. Going to keep my top 3 or 4 and sell the rest.

May 16, 2020 at 10:48 PM Post #8,433 of 12,035

What about the Valkyrie makes you think you'd have a hard time with the LX?

May 16, 2020 at 10:53 PM Post #8,434 of 12,035
What about the Valkyrie makes you think you'd have a hard time with the LX?
The fit was painful for me. Certain parts down near the stem were just too wide and no matter how I angled it or the tips I tried it created hot spots on my ears and I was only able to last maybe an hour at the longest before they were just way too painful to keep in. Its my understanding that all those empire ears universals are built on a similar shell shape and based on photos I have seen the LX is bigger than the valkyrie, which says to me it will almost certainly also be painful.

My ears are quite sensitive. Always found earbuds to be painful, and since moving on from simple barrel shaped IEMs, I have definitely always struggled with fit. So if the new solaris actually turns out to be as decent as they have seemed so far it will be a minor miracle. I was actually super surprised that the android gold was as comfortable for me as they were since I owned the polaris v1 in the past and never found it that comfortable (though that might have been due in part to both the shape and the memory wire on the cable).

May 16, 2020 at 10:55 PM Post #8,435 of 12,035
The fit was painful for me. Certain parts down near the stem were just too wide and no matter how I angled it or the tips I tried it created hot spots on my ears and I was only able to last maybe an hour at the longest before they were just way too painful to keep in. Its my understanding that all those empire ears universals are built on a similar shell shape and based on photos I have seen the LX is bigger than the valkyrie, which says to me it will almost certainly also be painful.

My ears are quite sensitive. Always found earbuds to be painful, and since moving on from simple barrel shaped IEMs, I have definitely always struggled with fit. So if the new solaris actually turns out to be as decent as they have seemed so far it will be a minor miracle. I was actually super surprised that the android gold was as comfortable for me as they were since I owned the polaris v1 in the past and never found it that comfortable (though that might have been due in part to both the shape and the memory wire on the cable).
Ive never heard of someone who can tolerate the Z1R but not Legend X. It’s widely known to be a better and more comfortable fit.

May 16, 2020 at 10:59 PM Post #8,436 of 12,035
Ive never heard of someone who can tolerate the Z1R but not Legend X. It’s widely known to be a better and more comfortable fit.
I can only barely tolerate the Z1R. The fit is terrible. It just sounds so good to me that I havent wanted to abandon it. For a while I swapped the cables and was wearing them backwards, I have done so much tip rolling, even swapped out to a campfire smoky litz as the earhooks are closer to the IEM and provide some pressure relieve off the bottom fo my ear. Its been a struggle. And even now they still arent really comfortable and I have to fidget with them frequently.

May 16, 2020 at 11:01 PM Post #8,437 of 12,035
I can only barely tolerate the Z1R. The fit is terrible. It just sounds so good to me that I havent wanted to abandon it. For a while I swapped the cables and was wearing them backwards, I have done so much tip rolling, even swapped out to a campfire smoky litz as the earhooks are closer to the IEM and provide some pressure relieve off the bottom fo my ear. Its been a struggle. And even now they still arent really comfortable and I have to fidget with them frequently.
Yup. Sounds like the Z1R lol.

May 16, 2020 at 11:09 PM Post #8,438 of 12,035
Yup. Sounds like the Z1R lol.
Yea... for real. I kind of hate how much I like the sound. It would have been easy to write them off and recoup most of my money by selling them if the sound wasnt just so right for my tastes. I only had the valkyrie for maybe a few weeks and got rid of it. They were good, but not nearly on the same level as some of this other stuff, and the fit there wasnt worth it for me to keep trying. But again, I still think the LX will kill my ears. The smaller size of the new solaris was pretty much the main deciding factor to get them for me and I was still worried about the fit. Though they seem comfortable enough that with some good tip rolling I am pretty confident they wont be that bad.

Everyone keeps telling me to go custom due to how much trouble I have getting decent fit with any of these larger-ish IEMs, but.... meh. Though maybe it is time for custom tips at least.

May 16, 2020 at 11:37 PM Post #8,439 of 12,035
why not try custom eartip...? the one I got from CustomArt can fit to all 64, some CFA, etc
but soundwise there will be different then using eartip or foam...

other thing, I was told to tried Fir M4... looking forward for that...

I have tried custom tips. Having silicone in my ears just feels weird because it's so grippy. Acrylic customs are much more comfortable for me.

May 17, 2020 at 12:43 AM Post #8,440 of 12,035

What would be the reason make you parting with Trio? more neturalish tuning while the new Solaris delivers comparable comfort fit?

How would you rate & describe APEX on Trio? Is it effective on avoiding fatigue during long sessions?

APEX is the only thing still sort on the back of my mind not going with Trio, but I am sure I will be happy with the new Solaris when it arrives next week!

May 17, 2020 at 8:38 AM Post #8,441 of 12,035
What would be the reason make you parting with Trio? more neturalish tuning while the new Solaris delivers comparable comfort fit?

How would you rate & describe APEX on Trio? Is it effective on avoiding fatigue during long sessions?

APEX is the only thing still sort on the back of my mind not going with Trio, but I am sure I will be happy with the new Solaris when it arrives next week!
They are relatively similar enough sounding and similar enough performing that I think having both may end up being redundant. It will really depend on which sound I end up preferring more and which proves to be the more comfortable fit for long listening sessions

I think the apex works fine. I don't really get fatigue when listening to them, however I also don't listen at the loudest volumes so I tend not to get fatigued from listening anyways. I think apex likely is most effective at louder volumes. Other than that, apex isn't noticeable at all.

May 17, 2020 at 9:11 AM Post #8,442 of 12,035

I like APEX because it also avoids the feeling of suctioned vacuum in your ear canal when you get a good fit. It makes it less noticeable that you're wearing earphones. It's also great in airplanes (but that's a less common use case). I don't think I am very prone to fatigue in general, but the trio disappear after a while when I've got them on.

May 17, 2020 at 9:13 AM Post #8,443 of 12,035
I like APEX because it also avoids the feeling of suctioned vacuum in your ear canal when you get a good fit. It makes it less noticeable that you're wearing earphones. It's also great in airplanes (but that's a less common use case). I don't think I am very prone to fatigue in general, but the trio disappear after a while when I've got them on.
I agree, it’s quite a strange feeling when going from an earphone that doesn’t have it to the U12t. Definitely noticeable.

May 17, 2020 at 9:15 AM Post #8,444 of 12,035
I agree, it’s quite a strange feeling when going from an earphone that doesn’t have it to the U12t. Definitely noticeable.
Quite honestly, I didn’t even know it was legit. Figured maybe a gimmicky type thing. Now I see people universally praising the tech has me interested. I don’t have any 64 audio IEM’s 🤔

May 17, 2020 at 9:18 AM Post #8,445 of 12,035
They are relatively similar enough sounding and similar enough performing that I think having both may end up being redundant. It will really depend on which sound I end up preferring more and which proves to be the more comfortable fit for long listening sessions

I think the apex works fine. I don't really get fatigue when listening to them, however I also don't listen at the loudest volumes so I tend not to get fatigued from listening anyways. I think apex likely is most effective at louder volumes. Other than that, apex isn't noticeable at all.

Yeah it's this redundancy that I'm still a bit afraid of. I think I'm holding off on a purchase for a bit longer to wait for the inevitable barrage of reviews that come in whenever campfire does anything :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back