Campfire - Solaris
May 13, 2020 at 11:33 PM Post #8,251 of 12,035
I consider it false advertising. If you state that something will be limited to 750 copies, then sell more, it is false advertisement. Does going from 750 -> 900 affect practical issues like resale value? Probably not. It's more of an ethics issue than a practical issue. Especially because they tried to sneak it in later.
This is definitely false advertising. I will never do this if I'm the owner of CA. People who purchased Solaris SE are the real fans of Campfire Audio, it is not wise to hurt those people's feelings just to earn the profit of the 150 units.

May 13, 2020 at 11:36 PM Post #8,253 of 12,035
I've had my SE's all of a couple months and now you mean to tell me that there was literally a more ergonomic and cheaper version I could have had? That's what your supporters get for purchasing your most expensive IEM ever? A few months and then you change the meaning of SE from "special edition" to "s**t ergonomics" edition?

Its not about it being an "investment". I always see that brought up here but does anybody here actually buy consumer electronics as an investment? Its about CA being fundamentally dishonest at the point of sale. "There are 750 of these", "Oh no we actually meant 900", "The special edition features are a face-plate, and a slight retune with a ceramic chamber", "oh no actually the ceramic chamber is a feature of all the 2020 Solaris too we just forgot to mention, the face-plate was actually the only limited feature you paid for".

.....Even now, they are selling the old edition of the Solaris and the Andromeda on the website, full price, conveniently no mention of the fact they are about to be outdated in two days anywhere on the website. No mentions anywhere at the point of sale about announcements on Friday for a new product. If you don't happen to follow them here or on social media (which I would bet is a majority of their customers) you would have no idea what was about to happen. Sucks to be them I guess? Nicely Done, enjoy your old stock?

Hell, my SE's are so new that if a few months from now they were to break, CA would probably have to change them out for the 2020 edition under warranty. You screwed up when your customer is pumped that you are having to replace their more expensive limited editions with a cheaper standard one.

Its absolutely true, everything is just conjecture right now, but man.....I've argued on CA's behalf with those people criticizing of CA's constant special editions in the past, now I realize they were probably just other former customers that had been burnt too and it makes me feel gross.
The Solaris SE actually fits me better than most IEM’s so not everyone loses in the mix.

May 13, 2020 at 11:50 PM Post #8,254 of 12,035
I've had my SE's all of a couple months and now you mean to tell me that there was literally a more ergonomic and cheaper version I could have had? That's what your supporters get for purchasing your most expensive IEM ever? A few months and then you change the meaning of SE from "special edition" to "s**t ergonomics" edition?

I don't think it's clear at this point that the one being released tomorrow is cheaper than the SE-- as was pointed out in an earlier reply the price in Euros displayed on the poster roughly converts to what the SE was selling for in US $$.

Its not about it being an "investment". I always see that brought up here but does anybody here actually buy consumer electronics as an investment?

Not an investment in the sense that you're expecting to make money on it, but very much in the sense that you tacitly hope it will maintain a certain value when you go to sell it down the road. Why else would anyone care that what was once a limited edition of 750 is not one of 900? When I bought mine it never occurred to me that the stated number of 750 was some sort of binding covenant-- I simply assumed that at one point they projected they could sell about 750 then when initial numbers came in they realized they could sell more, so they bumped the number up. I always took the increase as a sign of something positive-- 150 more people will get to enjoy this great IEM. It never even dawned on me that people would see it as something disingenuous until today.

"The special edition features are a face-plate, and a slight retune with a ceramic chamber", "oh no actually the ceramic chamber is a feature of all the 2020 Solaris too we just forgot to mention, the face-plate was actually the only limited feature you paid for".

Fair enough, but it's worth pointing out again that it's not clear at this point that the one being released tomorrow will be any cheaper than the SE is currently.

Even now, they are selling the old edition of the Solaris and the Andromeda on the website, full price, conveniently no mention of the fact they are about to be outdated in two days anywhere on the website. No mentions anywhere at the point of sale about announcements on Friday for a new product. If you don't happen to follow them here or on social media (which I would bet is a majority of their customers) you would have no idea what was about to happen. Sucks to be them I guess? Nicely Done, enjoy your old stock?

I think outdated is a strong term-- if all that's changed is the size I will be perfectly happy with mine, as it fits me perfectly. The SE may still be the preferred choice for some even after tomorrow.

May 14, 2020 at 12:31 AM Post #8,256 of 12,035
Its the principle of the damn thing. It doesn't mean anything to you, and bluntly it doesn't really mean anything to me either since I rarely sell stuff once I've bought it, but they chose that number, they chose to highlight it in their advertising. Its one of the main points of their advertising. Its one of the first things they highlight on their webpage when you open it. Its baked into the price valuation that people are making, and people spent a whole ton of money on these things.

I'm betting it meant something to a lot of people who bought it, and to fundamentally change something about our agreed transaction after the fact, because you're realizing the initial terms weren't as profitable for you as they could have been is dishonest. CA chose to highlight over and over how special and limited they are, where is my 20% discount for making them 20% less special and limited than when they sold them to me?

Its easy to get sucked into this hobby and this forum and forget how much money $2,000 is. These companies don't deserve our pity or sympathy or support when they charge people a car and then spit on them later.

All fair points, and it's an angle I hadn't considered. I bought mine because I liked the look and I was banking on them sounding good...the number made really didn't enter into it. I'll have to ruminate on it for a bit to see if it lands on the side of willfill deception or more as par for the course of doing business in this cutthroat world for me. I do hope, after all the facts are known tomorrow, that at least some of the frustrations expressed today are allayed a bit.

Last edited:
May 14, 2020 at 12:50 AM Post #8,260 of 12,035
Plot twist: That German article was disinformation meant to throw people off the scent and in reality tomorrow's release will not be a new Solaris but a more v-shaped complement to Solaris called Eclipse, in a suitably sexy black shell.

May 14, 2020 at 1:11 AM Post #8,261 of 12,035
Last edited:
Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
May 14, 2020 at 1:23 AM Post #8,264 of 12,035
So you all don't have to click through:

Solaris 2020:
Superior Solaris Sound - Now 20% Smaller
Hybrid Design;
Dual Balanced Armature + T.A.E.C.™
Single Mid Balanced Armature,
10mm ADLC Diaphragm Dynamic Driver + Polarity Tuned Chamber.
All new Solid-Body internal acoustic chamber design
Black PVD Finish with Gold PVD Screws.
Stainless Steel Spout

Sound: Holographic presentation. Intimate detail retrieval. Soaring highs, engaging mids, and rich impactful bass. Music sounds like music with lifelike performances, superior layering, and unbelievable imaging.
Included Accessories
New Sustainably Harvested Cork Zipper Case in Brown: Hand made in Portugal.
New Super Smoky Litz - Silver Plated Copper cable of varying diameter conductors fitted with molded hooks (no memory wire)
SPL: 115dB @ 1k
Frequency Response: 5Hz - 20kHz
Earphone Impedance: 15.5 Ohm @ 1k

Serial Numbers = MSR-00001
MSRP $1499

https://campfireaudio.com/solaris-2020
Available to order May 14th
Shipping May 21st

May 14, 2020 at 1:24 AM Post #8,265 of 12,035
Whats the difference between Special Edition and Limited Edition?🤔

I can understand limited means no more than the stated QTY but then......

If you want to get pedantic then limited means limited in quantity while special means alternate version, usually for a special occasion. In the case of the Solaris SE, it is both limited and special.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back