Campfire - Solaris
Apr 27, 2020 at 8:04 PM Post #7,921 of 12,035
Sounds good to me...regarding the Valks, I personally love the juxtaposition of the W9 and electrostatic drivers...creates a very unique sound sig in my opinion.
The LX and AG measure close to one another? I hadn't seen that...and my ears would strongly disagree!
Congrats on making a decision, then - that's a big first step!
It’s been a while since I heard the AG but yea fairly similar measurement...
3B83A4E4-26F3-42D4-B10E-3C208166EB2C.png

Aside from the bass of course. Lmao

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2020 at 9:36 PM Post #7,922 of 12,035
It’s been a while since I heard the AG but yea fairly similar measurement...
Aside from the bass of course. Lmao
Interesting. As you said, aside from the bass, I would not have guessed they would measure similarly...

Apr 27, 2020 at 9:43 PM Post #7,923 of 12,035
I notice that you used to have a Fourte Noir. How do they compare to the Solaris SE? I was curious about the Fourte Noir for a bit, but the mixed reviews ultimately turned me off and I have no way of auditioning them.
Just to be transparent, as I learn more about my preferences, etc., I think I am a bit sensitive to overly peaky treble...and so I really struggled with the Noirs. They have a lot of superb qualities, to be clear. And in many ways, I enjoyed them more than the SEs. I think the dynamics on the Noirs are simply superb - both in quality and quantity (and even better than the SEs). Mids on the SEs are perhaps a bit tighter and clearer, but probably a wash with the Noirs by and large. I found the stage on the Noirs to be super wide, but the SE (which also has great stage width) takes the cake on holographics. Ultimately, though, the issue for me was the high frequencies on the Noirs - I found them shrill, peaky, and much too sibilant for my liking - which is why I ended up selling them.
Not sure if this helps or not...

Apr 27, 2020 at 11:27 PM Post #7,924 of 12,035
Just wanted to add something which I picked up while trying a coupe of songs in the comfort of my home. Definitely store demo conditions are different and perhaps not noticeable.

Another strength of SE I would say is listening at lower volumes. Music and vocals remain accurate without losing any composure and details and best part is its still very satisfying in terms of musicality. Most IEMS cant do this as you have to turn up the volume at decent levels to appreciate the quality of what you listening to.:thumbsup:

Apr 27, 2020 at 11:48 PM Post #7,925 of 12,035
Just to be transparent, as I learn more about my preferences, etc., I think I am a bit sensitive to overly peaky treble...and so I really struggled with the Noirs. They have a lot of superb qualities, to be clear. And in many ways, I enjoyed them more than the SEs. I think the dynamics on the Noirs are simply superb - both in quality and quantity (and even better than the SEs). Mids on the SEs are perhaps a bit tighter and clearer, but probably a wash with the Noirs by and large. I found the stage on the Noirs to be super wide, but the SE (which also has great stage width) takes the cake on holographics. Ultimately, though, the issue for me was the high frequencies on the Noirs - I found them shrill, peaky, and much too sibilant for my liking - which is why I ended up selling them.
Not sure if this helps or not...

It helps greatly :) thank you! I’d still love to try the Noir’s someday. But they’re way too expensive to blind buy.

Apr 28, 2020 at 4:45 AM Post #7,927 of 12,035
20200427_064515.jpg
Back to my Solaris OG...
on Rotation mode...

The OG looks nicer than the SE in my opinion. That gold faceplate is lovely :)

Apr 28, 2020 at 4:56 AM Post #7,928 of 12,035
The OG looks nicer than the SE in my opinion. That gold faceplate is lovely :)
They are...
although a bit chip off on the edge... but it still sound amazing for me... best resolution sound (*edit for DD) with good sound stage on mobile, IMHO....

*) just need to emphasize

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #7,929 of 12,035
Does Solaris have better vocals/treble than the Atlas? With some eq and Leonidas II, Atlas has some of the best vocal/treble I've ever heard. Problem is I had to take the bass down about 8db. Hard to relax with those type of dynamics.

If Solaris comes back to B-stock for 1000 or less I may have to try it. I only worry about it being a hybrid as I find DDs in general fit my preferences.

Apr 28, 2020 at 1:11 PM Post #7,930 of 12,035
Well I ordered the Solaris SE and can’t wait to get it. I’m a tad nervous that it won’t fit well or the sound signature won’t wow me but I’ll know soon. I hate returning things, especially of that value.

I did learn that they may be close to selling all of the SE based on the serial numbers remaining. So jump and get them if you want them new ASAP.

Apr 28, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #7,931 of 12,035
Does Solaris have better vocals/treble than the Atlas? With some eq and Leonidas II, Atlas has some of the best vocal/treble I've ever heard. Problem is I had to take the bass down about 8db. Hard to relax with those type of dynamics.

If Solaris comes back to B-stock for 1000 or less I may have to try it. I only worry about it being a hybrid as I find DDs in general fit my preferences.
Yes, the Solaris takes the best of the Atlas and Andromeda and combines it into a well integrated solution. The bass is there but adds the details that you would get from the Andromeda.

Apr 29, 2020 at 7:06 AM Post #7,933 of 12,035
Apr 29, 2020 at 8:29 AM Post #7,934 of 12,035
Our full review of the Solaris SE is published with comparisons to the original version plus a few others.

https://headfonics.com/2020/04/campfire-audio-solaris-se-review/

Thanks for this excellent review. <Spoiler Alert> Even though you prefer the SE, the points you make for the OG help me justify in keeping it, and not parting with the over $2K (tax and 4.4mm cable) for the SE. Even though I want to.

I would probably be in for a B-stock, though, if it existed. :)

Apr 29, 2020 at 8:56 AM Post #7,935 of 12,035
Thanks for this excellent review. <Spoiler Alert> Even though you prefer the SE, the points you make for the OG help me justify in keeping it, and not parting with the over $2K (tax and 4.4mm cable) for the SE. Even though I want to.

I would probably be in for a B-stock, though, if it existed. :)

Choice is good :) B-stock? ohhh one can only hope hehe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back