Campfire - Solaris
May 20, 2019 at 8:39 PM Post #5,177 of 12,035
New Solaris review just posted.

KB
I thought Solaris V2 come out.. hahaha...

I would like to apologize in advance.

That's what she said.
dont forget adjusting the fitting...

OMG, anyway lets get back to Solaris...
was back on quest to find cable for my Solaris... the 130 cable have a bit weight, well my neck say so..
Soundwise, I really like 130, get the best sound out with DX221Mk2.
but if for mobile or outside activity... is not light enough...

May 21, 2019 at 4:19 AM Post #5,178 of 12,035
For people having trouble with fit like me on the bundled Final E tips, I highly recommend trying out these:

Spinfit CP360 (super flexible material for comfort and easier fit)
6B8EF614-A324-4ABC-84A7-AED8FA1CF0D6.jpeg

and Sony Triple Comfort Hybrid (better seal)
C1447424-DDBA-4F08-9E41-8622B572D62D.jpeg

I had to use a size smaller than what I used on Andromedas due to a deeper nozzle on the Solaris. Hope this helps!

May 21, 2019 at 12:24 PM Post #5,179 of 12,035
Hey All,

When we were at the Munich High End show a few weeks ago I got to demo the AK Kann Cube. Using my Solaris it was the best I have heard, It really took the Solaris to the next level and I have been using every day. The amp in the Cube is a beast and it really made the Solaris sing. Also I found the UI to be unmatched. It a big DAP but its all business and to me I want the best sound possible in a device I can bring with me, this fit the bill. I immediately ordered 3 for my shop and begged my friends at AK to let me borrow the demo unit until my order showed up. In addition I tried with with Tidal and, dang it sounded amazing as well.

Heads up the AK Kann Cube is an amazing match with the Solaris. I do not sell AK anymore so I have no skin in the DAP market but I do want to promote players that we think are going to work best with our IEMs and this one is highly recommended.

IMG_4175.JPG IMG_7259.jpg IMG_7270.JPG IMG_7271.JPG

Kann Cube + Solaris = smile on face.

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
May 21, 2019 at 12:27 PM Post #5,180 of 12,035
Wonder what all the "Reviewers" have to say, that keep telling us plebs that there are no differences between a quality DAP and an iPhone dongle.
What exactly is it that they are hearing?
And if they can't tell the difference in sound, why are they reviewing audio equipment to begin with??

May 21, 2019 at 12:45 PM Post #5,181 of 12,035
Wonder what all the "Reviewers" have to say, that keep telling us plebs that there are no differences between a quality DAP and an iPhone dongle.
What exactly is it that they are hearing?
And if they can't tell the difference in sound, why are they reviewing audio equipment to begin with??

I always think the quality of amp output is the key in terms of SQ. If you are comparing a dongle to a DAP with weak-sauce output (and the same OI on both), I can see why some people could struggle to tell the difference. If you are comparing to something with a better/cleaner amp section, I always think you should be able to tell the difference.

With that much (almost desktop grade) power on tap in the Cube, as long as the circuit design is good (which it sounds like it is) then it should be making stuff absolutely sing. That's just shot up to the top of my wishlist of stuff to pair with my Solaris (if I can sell enough gear to afford it at good old UK prices).

Thanks for the heads up, @KB !

Last edited:
May 21, 2019 at 12:57 PM Post #5,183 of 12,035
Hey All,

When we were at the Munich High End show a few weeks ago I got to demo the AK Kann Cube. Using my Solaris it was the best I have heard, It really took the Solaris to the next level and I have been using every day. The amp in the Cube is a beast and it really made the Solaris sing. Also I found the UI to be unmatched. It a big DAP but its all business and to me I want the best sound possible in a device I can bring with me, this fit the bill. I immediately ordered 3 for my shop and begged my friends at AK to let me borrow the demo unit until my order showed up. In addition I tried with with Tidal and, dang it sounded amazing as well.

Heads up the AK Kann Cube is an amazing match with the Solaris. I do not sell AK anymore so I have no skin in the DAP market but I do want to promote players that we think are going to work best with our IEMs and this one is highly recommended.

Kann Cube + Solaris = smile on face.

Ken

Ken, have you or anybody else listened to the KANN Cube with the Andromeda? I’d love to know if it’s as good a match.

May 21, 2019 at 2:03 PM Post #5,185 of 12,035
The Kube is huge. I love the look though. I've loved all astell players I've owned!

Agreed, it is large and when I first saw it I was like, too big... but when I started using it I found that the size was not as big of a issue that I though it would be. I have a old ALO zipper case and I put all my go to gear in and the Cube fits fine in this travel zipper case. Sure there are times when I want use a small DAP in my shirt pocket. But I have to say that after getting use to the Cubes sound its very hard to reach for another DAP.

kb

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

May 21, 2019 at 2:04 PM Post #5,186 of 12,035
Ken, have you or anybody else listened to the KANN Cube with the Andromeda? I’d love to know if it’s as good a match.

Hey Peter,

I have not, will do and report back.

Cheers

Ken

May 21, 2019 at 3:17 PM Post #5,187 of 12,035
Pardon me for barging in and self-promoting but I come in peace and with a solution in hand. My proposal was posted earlier than your astute observation pertaining to "tone deaf people" so I like to think I'm ahead of the curve here :sweat_smile:

When are we going to strictly enforce the publication of official and compulsory quarterly aural exam results in our Head-Fi signatures so I can filter all the proles and their unfortunate ears?

May 21, 2019 at 6:43 PM Post #5,190 of 12,035
Thank you for Hint...
AK products always give good black background, and better Soundstage...
Cube is big...
btw, compare to N8? Sound impression?

I found the N8 to be impressive sound wise balanced out, so I for sure approve of the N8 as well. I think the Cube has a clear edge over the N8 in the UI and battery department however. Please try for yourself as everyone will hear things differently.

kb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back