Campfire - Solaris
Apr 20, 2019 at 7:52 AM Post #4,816 of 12,035
@fokta I keep that all in mind. Thanks
If the combo pair right, E12a Amp will make Solaris bass round puncy and fast/Thigh with detail Rumble.The compensation is Timbre and Spark will be smooth...
The bass boost on E12a, make it a bit boomy, I dont like it, but can be option....

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2019 at 9:23 AM Post #4,817 of 12,035
20190420_201436.jpg

My Dream... DX220 can or even better than this setup....

for source, Note8 UAPP is much better than Cayin N5iiS. N5iiS create pop Noise / Hiss, even worse when play DSD....

Apr 20, 2019 at 10:04 AM Post #4,818 of 12,035
Alright, alright, alright, alright!

My first impressions are up and I'd like to share them with you.

Mind you, this is a report of the first few minutes of usage of these IEM. But I don't take that burning-in notion too seriously.

Preface:

I have been using the Solaris with the FiiO Q5 with the AM2A module installed. No EQ, but the Q5 was set to the low-pass filter "super slow roll-off".

The leather case the Solaris comes with is nicely done but not my cup of tea. I prefer synthetic or at least non-leather cases. But that's personal preference. The tip selection is good and I noticed a bit of a difference with the supplied marshmallow tips. The marshmallow tips that came with the Andromeda seem to be a lot more springy. The Solaris' stay smushed until they are in your ear. Quite what I would expect from marshmallow tips. But a curious thing.

Initial impression:

Those who have been following my notes on the Andromeda and the FiiO Q5 will know that this combination is on the bright side and not always my preference. But the Andromeda is what I am coming from and that is important to know.

Design and feel:

The design of the Solaris befits its price tag but is not necessarily the look I would go for. The black and gold does feel a little … pimp?

The Solaris are smaller than I expected them to be from the reviews. They are larger than the Andromeda but nowhere near gigantic. They fit my ears quite well and have not been uncomfortable once. Their weight is insignificant in my ear.

Hiss:

Hooking up the Solaris to the Q5 will create hiss. Not gonna lie!

The hiss is noticeable during quiet sections in the music and that is a bummer. I am certain it doesn't affect the sound quality in a way that I will notice, but I do notice it during silent episodes. I feel this can affect the sensation of blackness which helps me “fall into” the music negatively. I wouldn't describe the hiss as worse than with the Andromeda but certainly not better. I appreciate recommendations for bluetooth dac/amp combinations for the solaris or even DAPs in the <1kUSD area. Might invest in that.

Sound:

Yes! Oh boy, yes! Where to begin? The Solaris’ sound signature is balanced with hints of golden warmth. The highs are present and magical, the mids are powerful and clear and there is punch in die drums and kicks. The lows are very powerful -coming from Andromeda- with very deep extension and significant sub-bass rumble. The Solaris does not get muddy at all but remains crystal clear with layers of sound stacked on each other.

I think the Solaris is almost as airy as Andromedas but goes way lower. Where the Andromeda is dry as a bone in the bass region (which is nothing bad) the Solaris is a little more juicy adding that extra warmth to the signature. This makes the Solaris much more musical and to me enjoyable.

I can listen to the Solaris, kick back and relax.

My final test for today was my favourite Song from my favourite Band.

Tesseract - Survival, from the Errai EP

Daniel Tompkins really nails it in this version. Everything comes together on the Solaris nothing and everything stands out. Pure magic!

Apr 20, 2019 at 10:32 AM Post #4,819 of 12,035

Mind you, this is a report of the first few minutes of usage of these IEM. But I don't take that burning-in notion too seriously.

Preface:

I have been using the Solaris with the FiiO Q5 with the AM2A module installed. No EQ, but the Q5 was set to the low-pass filter "super slow roll-off".

The leather case the Solaris comes with is nicely done but not my cup of tea. I prefer synthetic or at least non-leather cases. But that's personal preference. The tip selection is good and I noticed a bit of a difference with the supplied marshmallow tips. The marshmallow tips that came with the Andromeda seem to be a lot more springy. The Solaris' stay smushed until they are in your ear. Quite what I would expect from marshmallow tips. But a curious thing.

Initial impression:

Those who have been following my notes on the Andromeda and the FiiO Q5 will know that this combination is on the bright side and not always my preference. But the Andromeda is what I am coming from and that is important to know.

Design and feel:

The design of the Solaris befits its price tag but is not necessarily the look I would go for. The black and gold does feel a little … pimp?

The Solaris are smaller than I expected them to be from the reviews. They are larger than the Andromeda but nowhere near gigantic. They fit my ears quite well and have not been uncomfortable once. Their weight is insignificant in my ear.

Hiss:

The hiss is noticeable during quiet sections in the music and that is a bummer. I am certain it doesn't affect the sound quality in a way that I will notice, but I do notice it during silent episodes. I feel this can affect the sensation of blackness which helps me “fall into” the music negatively. I wouldn't describe the hiss as worse than with the Andromeda but certainly not better. I appreciate recommendations for bluetooth dac/amp combinations for the solaris or even DAPs in the <1kUSD area. Might invest in that.

Sound:

Yes! Oh boy, yes! Where to begin? The Solaris’ sound signature is balanced with hints of golden warmth. The highs are present and magical, the mids are powerful and clear and there is punch in die drums and kicks. The lows are very powerful -coming from Andromeda- with very deep extension and significant sub-bass rumble. The Solaris does not get muddy at all but remains crystal clear with layers of sound stacked on each other.

I think the Solaris is almost as airy as Andromedas but goes way lower. Where the Andromeda is dry as a bone in the bass region (which is nothing bad) the Solaris is a little more juicy adding that extra warmth to the signature. This makes the Solaris much more musical and to me enjoyable.

Daniel Tompkins really nails it in this version. Everything comes together on the Solaris nothing and everything stands out. Pure magic!
Nice impressions and great photos. I'm glad you're liking them.
I was considering to go with Q5 before and I finally settled on iBasso DX150 since I don't have much space on my phone storage.
I believe fiio is making AM3D module with THX technology that you might wanna try. iFi's Micro iDSD BL is also a great option with great sound and built-in iematch but it's too bulky.
For under 1000$ definitely consider iBasso's upcoming DX220. I'm pretty happy with DX150+AMP7 and the hiss is barely noticeable to my ears.

Apr 20, 2019 at 11:01 AM Post #4,820 of 12,035

My Dream... DX220 can or even better than this setup....

for source, Note8 UAPP is much better than Cayin N5iiS. N5iiS create pop Noise / Hiss, even worse when play DSD....

I don't know what your budget is but the more I read about it the more I think the Lotoo Paw Gold Touch is the perfect DAP for you-- dead neutral and background as black as night.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2019 at 11:50 AM Post #4,821 of 12,035

Preface:

Initial impression:

Design and feel:

Hiss:

Sound:

Indeed, Solaris is an excellent IEM for rock music, Leprous sounds supreme with Solaris as well...

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2019 at 11:51 AM Post #4,822 of 12,035
Some great Canjam SIngapore impressions from @Deezel177 :

"Campfire Audio Solaris: The Solaris is a fun-sounding, charismatic and tonally-gorgeous all-rounder. It’s packed with lovable musicality, clarity and air, belied by a viscerally-satisfying bass response. In many ways, it reminds me of IEMs like 64Audio’s U18t or Lime Ears’ house sound, where every sort of music sounds engaging, clean and smooth all at the same time. But, the Solaris has the advantage of a dynamic driver for its rhythmic drive, allowing it to deliver wet, meaty and naturally thump-y hits. A hint of decay musically coheres the stage together. But, sufficient swiftness – for a DD, especially – ensures zero cleanliness is sacrificed in the process. The image as a whole remains airy, open and clean.

The midrange comes across well-balanced and well-defined. The Solaris projects very naturally, which I suspect is the result of a dip around 3-4kHz. Vocals are airier than they are saturated. Perhaps, I’d love a bit more chestiness to the fundamental at 1-2kHz. But, the clean, clear and open response the Solaris portrays here is very nice too. The treble – to me – is what really brings the signature together. It’s crisply articulate, but infinitely refined as well. The top-end comes across smoothly clean with bounds of headroom and air. There’s a speed to the treble that minimises bright haze from lingering around the image. Snare drums and cymbals in particular crackle excellently before vanishing without a trace. The mid-treble is a hair bright in tone, so hi-hats have a bit of a sheen to them. But, it stays well within natural territory.

All in all, the Solaris is one of those sound-good-with-anything gems that I’d happily sit beside the Lime Ears Aether R, 64 Audio’s U18t and the Vision Ears VE8. If smooth, airy vocals, crackling drums and a dynamic, thunderous-when-called-upon bass is your cup-of-tea, you need not look much further than here. Campfire Audio have another winner on their hands."

Apr 20, 2019 at 11:59 AM Post #4,823 of 12,035
Sorry if this was asked before. Is Solaris an overal better performer then W80 and Rai Penta?

Solaris exceeds the W80 in almost everything, better bass, sounstage, clarity, layering...more vivid and warm sound...
But the W80 is a very good sounding IEM as well, and surpasses any other IEM in comfort (IMO the best TOTL universal IEM in comfort)

Apr 20, 2019 at 1:00 PM Post #4,824 of 12,035
Some great Canjam SIngapore impressions from @Deezel177 :

"Campfire Audio Solaris: The Solaris is a fun-sounding, charismatic and tonally-gorgeous all-rounder. It’s packed with lovable musicality, clarity and air, belied by a viscerally-satisfying bass response. In many ways, it reminds me of IEMs like 64Audio’s U18t or Lime Ears’ house sound, where every sort of music sounds engaging, clean and smooth all at the same time. But, the Solaris has the advantage of a dynamic driver for its rhythmic drive, allowing it to deliver wet, meaty and naturally thump-y hits. A hint of decay musically coheres the stage together. But, sufficient swiftness – for a DD, especially – ensures zero cleanliness is sacrificed in the process. The image as a whole remains airy, open and clean.

The midrange comes across well-balanced and well-defined. The Solaris projects very naturally, which I suspect is the result of a dip around 3-4kHz. Vocals are airier than they are saturated. Perhaps, I’d love a bit more chestiness to the fundamental at 1-2kHz. But, the clean, clear and open response the Solaris portrays here is very nice too. The treble – to me – is what really brings the signature together. It’s crisply articulate, but infinitely refined as well. The top-end comes across smoothly clean with bounds of headroom and air. There’s a speed to the treble that minimises bright haze from lingering around the image. Snare drums and cymbals in particular crackle excellently before vanishing without a trace. The mid-treble is a hair bright in tone, so hi-hats have a bit of a sheen to them. But, it stays well within natural territory.

All in all, the Solaris is one of those sound-good-with-anything gems that I’d happily sit beside the Lime Ears Aether R, 64 Audio’s U18t and the Vision Ears VE8. If smooth, airy vocals, crackling drums and a dynamic, thunderous-when-called-upon bass is your cup-of-tea, you need not look much further than here. Campfire Audio have another winner on their hands."

Thanks for sharing my impressions, @Rockwell75! I'd also like to take the time to award the Solaris its very own CanJam Cup award! It shares the Do-All Good-All category with two others for being the most enjoyable, versatile and fun-sounding monitors at the show. Congrats Campfire!

CanJam Cup 2019.002.jpeg

"Campfire Audio’s Solaris (like the other two in this category) provided one of the most enjoyable listening experiences I had at the show. There’s a real joy in shuffling through random tracks of varying genres, styles and production qualities, and being greeted each time by heaps of clarity, impact, smoothness and air. Solaris constantly fired on all cylinders with rhythmic drive and graceful finesse. The engineer in me did yearn for a touch more midrange body, but by the very first track, his head was bobbing along too. That’s when you know you’ve done a well-balanced, all-rounder sig right."

Apr 20, 2019 at 7:25 PM Post #4,827 of 12,035
Can someone comment on the solaris's noise isolation? Never heard a hybrid IEM but I believe they have ports for air (for the DD).I tried looking up the technical specs but wasn't listed.

Thanks!

I would say around the same as Andromeda, but the shells stick out more. Less than Atlas though, just due to how far you can insert the spouts.

Apr 20, 2019 at 7:47 PM Post #4,829 of 12,035
Thanks! I saw some pictures of them inserted in an ear, but do you know if they are comfortable to be worn against a pillow?
This would depend on how big your ears are.....if the shells stick out a lot then probably wouldn't be comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back