Campfire - Solaris
Mar 27, 2019 at 11:27 PM Post #4,426 of 12,035
People not inclined to exaggeration find ways to express things more precisely.

What are the differences between the $149 cable and the $349 one? By larger do you mean a larger soundstage or? What is more dynamic exactly? This applies with all daps?
You are sounding so salty. People on this thread are trying to help you out, maybe you should be more appreciative and act like less of a prick.
The Solaris had a pretty big soundstage, in my opinion when paired with the right DAP that can drive them well, it rivals full size cans. Is that precise enough for you?

Mar 27, 2019 at 11:30 PM Post #4,427 of 12,035
Saltiness has nothing to do with anything. I'm looking for informative responses as opposed to bs. Should be a very basic thing to figure out and appreciate. If what you claim is true then yes, that is helpful. Others have contradicted you.

Mar 28, 2019 at 12:53 AM Post #4,430 of 12,035
It depends what you're used to. I found the soundstage huge out of the box on my Fiio M9...but I have no experience with full size cans.

The Solaris sound stage is evocative of a headphone. They obviously aren't on the level of decent open set of headphones, but in terms of IEMs it is class leading against what I have heard.

To me this is the Solaris' best quality.

Mar 28, 2019 at 1:00 AM Post #4,432 of 12,035
The Solaris sound stage is evocative of a headphone. They obviously aren't on the level of decent open set of headphones, but in terms of IEMs it is class leading against what I have heard.

To me this is the Solaris' best quality.

Yup. It was the first thing that really stood out to me and the first time I had a real sense of what soundstage is.

Mar 28, 2019 at 2:11 AM Post #4,434 of 12,035
Litz 4.4mm Balanced cable is $149 not $400. Click on the 3.5mm option on the right to change the termination to 4.4mm balanced.

https://campfireaudio.com/shop/litz-cable/

Balanced has a larger voltage swing, sounds larger and more dynamic.

Hope this helps.

Ken

Your Super Litz is consider best pairing with Solaris....

Tips on changing cables? If the balanced cable can go into everything it seems like it and an adapter is the way to go should it be worth it.
adapter can make coloring in sound... but yes, it comes handy..

Anyone heard anything about Solaris custom? I hope it's being cooked as I eagerly wait for it..
What kind of custom??
apperance?
Sound wise?
I am interesting to know

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2019 at 3:53 AM Post #4,437 of 12,035
Anyone heard anything about Solaris custom? I hope it's being cooked as I eagerly wait for it..

What kind of custom??
apperance?
Sound wise?
I am interesting to know
Ken said in Equinox thread that he is experimenting custom fit sleeves with his Solaris, and he is pleased so far.

Mar 28, 2019 at 4:14 AM Post #4,438 of 12,035
Wanted to drop a quick note on my impressions of the Triton8 Hybrid cable which I ordered from @alpha421 recently. I ordered mine in a 4.4mm balanced termination (future-proofing) together with a 4.4mm to 3.5mm SE adapter using the same cable type.

From their website:

The flagship Triton8 OCC cable series in three configurations where each configuration is handmade with 8 individual OCC (Ohno Continous Cast) 26AWG wires: 1) Pure silver OCC, 2) Copper OCC, and 3) Hybrid 4 silver/4 copper OCC. Refine your iems/ciems and squeeze out the last drops of audio bliss with an all OCC Triton8 cable. Each one is hand made from start to finish in the USA using Cardas Eutectic Silver solder.

Triton8 Hybrid.jpeg

The cable is a lot sleeker than I expected and although stiff, fits very well when worn over-ear with my glasses (it's even more comfortable in this aspect than the stock Superlitz cables with the memory wire). Microphonics, while present and fairly obvious when no music is playing, is barely noticeable (if at all) once music is being played. All in all, while not as ergonomic in terms of flexibility and microphonics vs the Superlitz cables, I have no qualms about using this cable for my daily commute on the subway.

In terms of sound impressions, I have to admit that I was initially a bit underwhelmed as my immediate impression was that the Solaris seemed less lively and energetic. I listened to it casually for a week or so and sat down for some A/B listening with the Superlitz cables. Will share my detailed impressions in a follow-up post if I have time but in summary, the Triton8 presents a more balanced sound across the bass-voices-treble spectrum. The less lively and energetic sense I had was due to the Superlitz cables slightly emphasizing bass and male vocals. Am also happy that the Triton8 presents a wider soundstage - I compare it to moving from an intimate jazz bar (Superlitz) to a concert venue (Triton8).

Lastly, build quality is fantastic and I really dig the box braid finish. Call me a satisfied customer!

*Of course, this is my subjective, non-professional opinion. Apologies if my hyperbole offends anybody's delicate sensibilities :cartwheel:

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2019 at 4:17 AM Post #4,439 of 12,035
Been doing some searching through this thread for the ZX300.

Caleb at Campfire audio told me he liked the Solaris out of the sony DAP's (Zx300, WM1A, WM1Z) and he said he liked them out of most of the AK DAP's too. Although his preferred ones are the Sony's.

Same here. Once I have the WM1Z with my Solaris I will be set. I saw Caleb's at Campfire Audio, and he said it's his favorite pairing for the Solaris (I forgot to ask if the color scheme was inspired by it, but it is an awesome pairing visually). I didn't have time to ask him if I could try it out, but he told me that the sony zx300 gets 90-95% of what the wm1z gets with the Solaris, but in a much more portable package. He also said that all of sony's DAP's he has heard pair really well with the Solaris too.

Ok. There's also a guy who swears there's no difference between the WM1A and the ZX300 with the Solaris and his girlfriend picked the ZX300 three out of four times in a blind test. Waiting on the M11 and DX220 is probably the smart thing to do (these random letters and numbers get annoying) but senseless lack of impulse control wins the day, yet again. The streaming thing bothers me. If the ZX300 is physically connected to a computer streaming there is no loss in anything, right?

Mar 28, 2019 at 5:19 AM Post #4,440 of 12,035
ZX300 + the default balanced cable comes out to around $750, which is attractive all other things considered... does the ZX300 hiss with the Solaris?
Nope for Hiss... Based on My Exp....

KB still cooking in his lab for the custom Solaris, so be patient grasshopper :ksc75smile:
yes sir.... #Squatting ready to jump
hehehe... nothing wrong with my Solaris....

Ken said in Equinox thread that he is experimenting custom fit sleeves with his Solaris, and he is pleased so far.
ooo.. what outcome that this custom fit sleeves after?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back