Campfire - Solaris
Mar 27, 2019 at 3:28 PM Post #4,411 of 12,035
It depends what you're used to. I found the soundstage huge out of the box on my Fiio M9...but I have no experience with full size cans.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2019 at 4:06 PM Post #4,412 of 12,035
So I should have around 150 hours of burn-in by now. The one thing that concerns me is soundstage. Are daps going to expand it or is it really not going to be even remotely "expansive"?

One thing is sure if the Solaris are not enough for you in terms of soundstage, not sure which IEMs will really take you a lot further...

Mar 27, 2019 at 4:25 PM Post #4,413 of 12,035
The new Sony one is an obvious candidate. I just really hate it when people use words like expansive that have absolutely nothing to do with reality. I'm trying to reserve judgment without having a dap, hence the question.

Mar 27, 2019 at 7:23 PM Post #4,415 of 12,035
words like expansive that have absolutely nothing to do with reality.

Consensus seems to indicate that it is a reality relative to the world of IEMs. The first thing that struck me when I demoed Solaris coming from Atlas was how much larger the perceived sound space was within and around my head. It literally blew my mind and it was the first time I really understood what was meant by the term "expansive soundstage". That said had I come straight from a full sized headphone my experience probably would have been a lot different. If you don't perceive a soundstage with your Solaris now as far as I know a DAP won't change that. They can flush out certain characteristics but I've never heard anyone say that, on account of a DAP, the perceived soundstage of an IEM went from nothing to large.

Mar 27, 2019 at 7:41 PM Post #4,416 of 12,035
Do you have a particular mid-fi (~$1000) recommendation to get the most out of Solaris?

AK KANN
Sony ZX-300

Balanced out is recommended.

no cost I would look at Sony WM1Z, AK SP1000 or Cayin N8 balanced out is spectacular.

I am sure there are many others but I have not yet tried.

Cheers,

Kb

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Mar 27, 2019 at 7:53 PM Post #4,417 of 12,035
Sony ZX-300

Have one (and a balanced cable) on the way :) And while I'm here-- thank-you for the Solaris! Two weeks in and I love them more each day...best $$ I've ever spent in this hobby. Cheers!

Mar 27, 2019 at 9:22 PM Post #4,419 of 12,035
Anyone tried the Sony Kimber on the Solaris? Any input would be appreciated.
I have both Sony kimber and Alo super lutz.
No difference to my ears. save your money and use the great campfire stock cable.
IMG_20190314_202225606.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2019 at 10:27 PM Post #4,421 of 12,035
Based on my demo with both units, Solaris stage width and height bettered IER-Z1R.

That would be good, but a couple of others unequivocally claimed that the Z1R was better. In other qualities of the sound there were some differences of opinion which made buying the Solaris an easier decision.

Consensus seems to indicate that it is a reality relative to the world of IEMs. The first thing that struck me when I demoed Solaris coming from Atlas was how much larger the perceived sound space was within and around my head. It literally blew my mind and it was the first time I really understood what was meant by the term "expansive soundstage". That said had I come straight from a full sized headphone my experience probably would have been a lot different. If you don't perceive a soundstage with your Solaris now as far as I know a DAP won't change that. They can flush out certain characteristics but I've never heard anyone say that, on account of a DAP, the perceived soundstage of an IEM went from nothing to large.

Expansive is hardly a relative word.

AK KANN
Sony ZX-300

no cost I would look at Sony WM1Z, AK SP1000 or Cayin N8 balanced out is spectacular.

I am sure there are many others but I have not yet tried.

Cheers,

Kb

What difference does balanced make? It's not easy to swallow spending an extra $400 for one of the balanced cables you offer.

You haven't tried the iBasso DX200 or the Hiby daps? Sony ZX300 vs WM1A?

Mar 27, 2019 at 10:57 PM Post #4,423 of 12,035
Expansive is hardly a relative word.

It is very much a relative word. A lake relative to my bathtub is expansive. A lake relative to the ocean is not. Relative to the world of IEMs the soundstage of Solaris is expansive. If you are used to full size cans you will not find it expansive. And so on.

Mar 27, 2019 at 11:04 PM Post #4,424 of 12,035
What difference does balanced make? It's not easy to swallow spending an extra $400 for one of the balanced cables you offer.

Litz 4.4mm Balanced cable is $149 not $400. Click on the 3.5mm option on the right to change the termination to 4.4mm balanced.

https://campfireaudio.com/shop/litz-cable/

Balanced has a larger voltage swing, sounds larger and more dynamic.

Hope this helps.

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Mar 27, 2019 at 11:06 PM Post #4,425 of 12,035
It is very much a relative word. A lake relative to my bathtub is expansive. A lake relative to the ocean is not. Relative to the world of IEMs the soundstage of Solaris is expansive. If you are used to full size cans you will not find it expansive. And so on.

People not inclined to exaggeration find ways to express things more precisely.

Litz 4.4mm Balanced cable is $149 not $400. Click on the 3.5mm option on the right to change the termination to 4.4mm balanced.

https://campfireaudio.com/shop/litz-cable/

Balanced has a larger voltage swing, sounds larger and more dynamic.

Hope this helps.

Ken

What are the differences between the $149 cable and the $349 one? By larger do you mean a larger soundstage or? What is more dynamic exactly? This applies with all daps?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back