Campfire - Solaris
Feb 16, 2019 at 11:20 PM Post #3,542 of 12,035
I'm having a strange issue with my Solaris and I'm wondering if anyone has had this experience, or maybe an idea of what it may be.

Sometimes when I have had the Solaris stored in the case, on first listen the balance is very right channel focused. Vocals are almost all the way to the right. I have tested with mono recordings as well and they drift far to the right. If I unplug the left earpiece and reconnect it works fine again for that listening session. But next session it is the same again.

I have tried:

1. Different cables. Same issue
2. Wiggling the left earpiece does not result in audio cut outs or changes in balance
3. Treble seems to be ok it seems to be only the midrange that is initially very faint but not inaudible.
4. I have tried swapping sides and ears. The issue follows the left channel earpiece.

Any comments welcome.

Feb 16, 2019 at 11:44 PM Post #3,543 of 12,035
did Anyone notice the all black Solaris Ken has around his neck? They had some sort of engraving on the outer cap. They looked amazing.

He confirmed more colors by year’s end.

Can’t wait!!
Would people be interested in a stainless steel version? :astonished:

Feb 16, 2019 at 11:51 PM Post #3,545 of 12,035
did Anyone notice the all black Solaris Ken has around his neck? They had some sort of engraving on the outer cap. They looked amazing.

Can’t wait!!
Picture anyone? Year's end is a long wait. All I want is Solaris drivers inside a universal Equinox shell.

Feb 17, 2019 at 9:38 AM Post #3,547 of 12,035
Feb 17, 2019 at 10:29 AM Post #3,548 of 12,035

Can’t wait!!

I keep loosing my pair when they get mixed up with a demo set in the shop so I just made one set with a non gold lid so it does not get absorbed in the shop. I should not have brought them to the show :astonished:

But I do hear some people who would rather have a lower key look. Message received.

It’s been great talking to everyone, great show!!

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Feb 17, 2019 at 12:02 PM Post #3,549 of 12,035
Would people be interested in a stainless steel version? :astonished:

I have the Andro-S (mostly for the looks) but I would have to say no, for the following reasons:
1. It would be too heavy, especially considering that the Solaris hangs out
2. It would look too plain.. too much size with no contrast

Feb 17, 2019 at 4:44 PM Post #3,550 of 12,035
I have the Andro-S (mostly for the looks) but I would have to say no, for the following reasons:
1. It would be too heavy, especially considering that the Solaris hangs out
2. It would look too plain.. too much size with no contrast
The Andro S is already heavy enough! If you pop it out to have a conversation with someone, it starts pulling the wire and sagging down.. At least with my thin, non-stock wire.

Feb 17, 2019 at 4:55 PM Post #3,551 of 12,035
The Andro S is already heavy enough! If you pop it out to have a conversation with someone, it starts pulling the wire and sagging down.. At least with my thin, non-stock wire.
Yes, with the Andro-S I love the look, the weight not so much.

I'd love to see the Solaris in titanium or ceramic or carbon fiber (this last one I'm not sure is feasible for such small parts, but if I was making IEMs I would look into it), i.e. something light and with low heat conduction.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2019 at 5:09 PM Post #3,552 of 12,035
If you want even better cable than Ref8 I recommend Triton Audio 8 hybrid 4 copper and 4 silver wire. I have Ref8 yet a Triton is at least 2 level above with much better bass as it hits hard‘ multilayered and not just one note like Ref8. Treble is extended and smooth and not harsh. Clarity and resolution higher than Ref8 and transient speed feels faster. This is a bright cable maybe brighter than Ref8 but I think would even be better with Solaris since it’s warm. The only negative I can think of it’s very 2d but should be alleviated much by Solaris since it’s very holographic. And the best thing you can have it around $250 and turnover is fast like about 2 weeks and Davidthe owner is very nice to deal with. I can’t say enough good things regarding Triton cable but get the 8 wire hybrid cause I vouch only for this cable. For reference I own PW black icon 1960 4 core and I still rate this cable very highly. This is my daily to go cable and clarity and resolution is very high that at times it feels ruthlessly sharp

Cheers, I've ordered!

Feb 17, 2019 at 5:48 PM Post #3,553 of 12,035
Yes, with the Andro-S I love the look, the weight not so much.

I'd love to see the Solaris in titanium or ceramic or carbon fiber (this last one I'm not sure is feasible for such small parts, but if I was making IEMs I would look into it), i.e. something light and with low heat conduction.
Agreed! That would be fantastic. Yeah I think CF can be problematic. Weren't there some related issues with the original JH Angies? BTW, after ordering the Solaris.. I think I might have to agree with you about the Solaris not beating out the Andromeda S. I miss the mids of the Andromeda S and think I'll be giving it a second chance.

For anyone else reading this, I should probably give a little context. One of the most important things to me is mids. From all of the impressions I've read, I understood that the kids on the Solaris would be similar to the Andromeda S. I don't feel that they are though. They don't carry the texture and weight that I love to hear in vocals.

I feel like thicker mids are a rarity in today's flagship IEMs. This is understandable, since everyone seems to be after technicalities like soundstage and separation, and that's what's produced!

I have an Angie II and Andromeda S hopefully on the way so I can compare and see what works best for me. I am a soundstage whore just as much as a mids whore, so one should strike a good balance!

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2019 at 6:29 PM Post #3,554 of 12,035
Cheers, I've ordered!
There’s burn in period, but you’ll hear some difference with Ref8 in first hour or so. What’s you dap?

I think it should settle down 50+ hours. Give me your impression on comparison with Ref8

I gotta warn you Triton 8 will thin Solaris sound by quite a lot, but you’ll get much sharper, clearer resolution & clarity + better bass etc

I listen to Se5U ciem with Triton 8 hybrid yesterday. It’s extremely sublime. I can hear everything that’s in the song. It pushes SE5U performance to a very high level

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back