Campfire - Solaris
Dec 20, 2018 at 5:22 AM Post #2,416 of 12,035
Glued?! I would've thought the two parts are screwed together or something. Do you guys have some pictures, I'm very curious to see what the joining looks like.

Its glued much like your typical two-piece IEMs where the nozzle (the chrome piece where you attach the eartips/where sound comes from) is a separate piece to the main shell. The nozzle has an inner lip which provides a friction fit with the inner edge of the main shell. That inner lip is also where they put the glue.

The Andromeda is easy to fix yourself if you're careful since the BA are secured/filled in place with the shell. But its a pain the backside to fix the Lyra II because the dynamic driver is part of the nozzle and if you don't notice the separation until its too late, there's a good chance you break the tiny IEM wires in the process. This is from a while ago, so the photos are potato quality, but it should be obvious how the nozzle is attached to the shell. You should be able to see the inner lip that I'm talking about.

I do want to make it clear that there isn't anything wrong with this type of construction. There's a good chance that I'm just unlucky and these IEMs weren't really designed for long sweaty Australian summers.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2018 at 5:22 AM Post #2,417 of 12,035
What is the difference in "sound quality" between the Campfire marshallow stock tips and the Comply Isolatio tips. I think its the same. I have only heard Comply TX Isolation tips with the wax filter and prefer the Campfire stock tips. With the stock tips i have a bit more treble.

Dec 20, 2018 at 9:34 AM Post #2,418 of 12,035
Its glued much like your typical two-piece IEMs where the nozzle (the chrome piece where you attach the eartips/where sound comes from) is a separate piece to the main shell. The nozzle has an inner lip which provides a friction fit with the inner edge of the main shell. That inner lip is also where they put the glue.

The Andromeda is easy to fix yourself if you're careful since the BA are secured/filled in place with the shell. But its a pain the backside to fix the Lyra II because the dynamic driver is part of the nozzle and if you don't notice the separation until its too late, there's a good chance you break the tiny IEM wires in the process. This is from a while ago, so the photos are potato quality, but it should be obvious how the nozzle is attached to the shell. You should be able to see the inner lip that I'm talking about.

I do want to make it clear that there isn't anything wrong with this type of construction. There's a good chance that I'm just unlucky and these IEMs weren't really designed for long sweaty Australian summers.

So there's no twist action of connect the two parts, you just press it in?

I don't know if there is anything wrong with this construction or not, but the Andromeda S is a grease magnet (fingerprints, ear wax, etc) so it requires daily cleaning to not look filthy. Cleaning it in turn implies putting some pressure on the different parts, so for me it makes a pretty big difference if the nozzle is a solidly attached as the steel construction suggests or if relies on the strength of glue to stay intact.

Edit: remembered about this guy: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cam...romeda-and-nova.805107/page-184#post-12851893

9141092.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2018 at 10:12 AM Post #2,419 of 12,035
What is the difference in "sound quality" between the Campfire marshallow stock tips and the Comply Isolatio tips. I think its the same. I have only heard Comply TX Isolation tips with the wax filter and prefer the Campfire stock tips. With the stock tips i have a bit more treble.

CA marshmallow tips hold their shape better and last longer.

Dec 20, 2018 at 1:03 PM Post #2,420 of 12,035
Final tip, smallest size, as I read over at CL2 thread that deep fit required. So I crammed it deep and oh boi my ear still hurt right now. Removing them cause popping sound so it’s definely deep enough. I won’t go so deep for normal usage.

How long burn in? Fresh from box. Yes, it will matured and mellow down but I don’t think the bite will dissappear. The FR curve peak will not change much. My theory on why some ppl can tolerate this is down to ear sensitivity and tolerance level. Mine nope.

Another possibility, not sufficient power to drive straight from iPhone with dongle. I need to crank up to 70-80% to make it listenable at my usual listening volume. For Solaris, I could get same sound level at 15-20% volume.

The shell has surprising heft to it considering the dinky size and ceramic material. Definitely durable. Ideal world, Solaris innards in CL2 shell!
If you still have the CL2, try a tip with a wide bore, 5mm and more.
If you happen to have a spiral dot (5mm opening) or a tennmak (6mm), I wouldn't go anything below 4mm wide, anything less and the treble gets high pitch.
I myself use tips 6mm tennmaks, really widens the soundstage and brings out the bass.
This iem is so tip dependent it is not even funny.

Dec 20, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #2,421 of 12,035
It sound like someone crack up the knob on “Stage Height” up to 11.
Yeah, and still maintains the overall good sound quality.

Dec 20, 2018 at 4:45 PM Post #2,422 of 12,035
So there's no twist action of connect the two parts, you just press it in?

I don't know if there is anything wrong with this construction or not, but the Andromeda S is a grease magnet (fingerprints, ear wax, etc) so it requires daily cleaning to not look filthy. Cleaning it in turn implies putting some pressure on the different parts, so for me it makes a pretty big difference if the nozzle is a solidly attached as the steel construction suggests or if relies on the strength of glue to stay intact.

No screw or key/slot mechanism as far as I could tell with either of them. There's a chance newer revisions have a permanent physical joining method, like dovetail joints or some form of crimping, but both my Andromeda and Lyra 2 were connected to each other with only glue and pressure. It did surprise me how there doesn't seem to be a slot mechanism, goodness knows how they get the correct nozzle orientation without additional tedious handiwork.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #2,423 of 12,035
CA marshmallow tips hold their shape better and last longer.
But the seal is not as good. I find the comply ts400 the best.

Dec 20, 2018 at 6:36 PM Post #2,424 of 12,035
If you still have the CL2, try a tip with a wide bore, 5mm and more.
If you happen to have a spiral dot (5mm opening) or a tennmak (6mm), I wouldn't go anything below 4mm wide, anything less and the treble gets high pitch.
I myself use tips 6mm tennmaks, really widens the soundstage and brings out the bass.
This iem is so tip dependent it is not even funny.

My ear canal barely 5mm wide. I measured it on my custom monitor. So no point getting wide bore tip as it will just sit further outside my ear if you said it need deep insertion. Unless you can recommend a ENT to enlarge my ...ummmm ... canal

Dec 20, 2018 at 6:57 PM Post #2,425 of 12,035
My ear canal barely 5mm wide. I measured it on my custom monitor. So no point getting wide bore tip as it will just sit further outside my ear if you said it need deep insertion. Unless you can recommend a ENT to enlarge my ...ummmm ... canal
Lmao. That's funny.
The larger bore tips are also shorter in length. So they push the end of the metal tube closer to your ear canal.
I didn't mean to imply shove the whole thing into your ear. No wonder you felt pain. :)
Just try whatever size spiral dot (if possible a size smaller than usual) that fits you and forms a proper seal.
The consensus tips that work the best are Spiral Dots, UE900, Tennmaks, KZ stars
This iem requires a lot of tip rolling and experimentation, that is why it is so polarizing.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2018 at 8:21 PM Post #2,426 of 12,035
Lmao. That's funny.
The larger bore tips are also shorter in length. So they push the end of the metal tube closer to your ear canal.
I didn't mean to imply shove the whole thing into your ear. No wonder you felt pain. :)
Just try whatever size spiral dot that fits you and forms a proper seal.
The consensus tips that work the best are Spiral Dots, UE900, Tennmaks, KZ stars.
This iem requires a lot of tip rolling and experimentation, that is why it is so polarizing.
I would also put in a plug for the Spinfit 240's. They are double flange, so not to everyone's liking, but I find they help the Solaris stay fitted properly for me given the larger size of the Solaris and they allow a tight seal.

Dec 20, 2018 at 9:18 PM Post #2,427 of 12,035
I would also put in a plug for the Spinfit 240's. They are double flange, so not to everyone's liking, but I find they help the Solaris stay fitted properly for me given the larger size of the Solaris and they allow a tight seal.

@lafeuill who has my Solaris in loan has also reported that the bi-flanged RHA work very well for him.
I shall try, while I am waiting for Custom Art eartips (sometime in January... can’t wait to test this like @Jackpot77 )

Dec 21, 2018 at 10:38 AM Post #2,428 of 12,035
What for tips do you prefer for the Solaris? I have stock marshallow tips, Comply TX 400 and new also Symbio W . TX400 is warmer with more bass but cut a bit the high frequencys. Symbio W hat more treble bit also less of bass, it is spacious and airy. Ideal for classical orchestral. Stock marshallow for me is better than TX400 because there is not such much treble roll off and a bit more air. Is it because the larger bores? Isolation on all 3 tips is good. Alle 3 are confortable for me. The difference between TX400 and Symbio W is a lot . Tips are not woodo. Its a clear change in sound signature. In some recordings Symbio W has to much treble and i prefer marshallow stock tips or TX400. Symbio is very neutral, TX400 relaxed with boomy bass. Symphonys are great with Symbio W. The marshallow stock tips are very good tips i find. You dont need other tips for allround signature.
What so you prefer with Solaris? Why? Are there other tips for tips...? The stock silicons i dont try because i think there could be more treble than Symbio W because the bore is lager.

Dec 21, 2018 at 1:55 PM Post #2,429 of 12,035
@andybo I believe tips fit will depend on physiology so everybody mileage will vary... this being said, wide bore tips are clearly the right choice, I’d stay away from Final E.

My favorites are UE900 tips as they provide great seal for deep insertion but other have reported bi-flanged to be great as well (RHA, SpinFit 240)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back