Campfire - Solaris
Dec 12, 2018 at 11:06 AM Post #2,267 of 12,035
Stop the presses! Wow, a manufacturer has said that their production is flawless.

Sorry if this was misinterpreted, he said that their QC along the way hasnt allowed any final QC fails yet. So they are just really strict from the start of production, and so far they havent gotten any that failed the final QC (which those are what get made into b-stock)

Dec 12, 2018 at 11:29 AM Post #2,268 of 12,035
Sorry if this was misinterpreted, he said that their QC along the way hasnt allowed any final QC fails yet. So they are just really strict from the start of production, and so far they havent gotten any that failed the final QC (which those are what get made into b-stock)

Off topic... Nothing against Ken and team. They are lovely. QC means little if the tolerances aren't tight. It's really easy to pass final QC, if the defect criteria is flapping loose. However, what is even more important to me is product reliability. Stressing the product to failure, understanding if there are consistency issues due to production, design or component. That's what matters.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #2,269 of 12,035
Well if there was a QC issue many reports would have popped up or will pop up soon as more Solaris get out... personally mine are superbly built with very tight tolerances

Dec 12, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #2,271 of 12,035
Well if there was a QC issue many reports would have popped up or will pop up soon as more Solaris get out... personally mine are superbly built with very tight tolerances

Depending on the PPM level... 6 sigma standard? You don't need many for it to be an issue. Besides, if it doesn't pop up now, it doesn't mean it wouldn't pop up later. But this is just in general, not specific to the discussion above.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2018 at 11:50 AM Post #2,272 of 12,035
Depending on the PPM level... You don't need many for it to be an issue. Besides, if it doesn't pop up now, it doesn't mean it wouldn't pop up later. But this is just in general, not specific to the discussion above.

Yeah I know, my background (a long time ago...) was total quality management and trained in Six Sigma so... it's all in variability of quality and what PPM you're hitting.
Aside from that, build quality is exceptional so I am inclined to assume that QC is just as good.

If issues pop up the important thing is to learn and fix it in the future, and also in how issues are managed for the customer but I have no doubt Campfire will stay true to their reputation :)

Dec 12, 2018 at 12:12 PM Post #2,273 of 12,035
Yes I am in fact enjoying them even more :)
The review is updated regularly by the way, I have added pairing with BA300S and ALO CV5 amps.

I have good comfort but I have big ears and even bigger (and pretty straight) ear canals, I have been able to verify this time and again in meetups. I can fit any CIEM provided there is no strange bend that would hurt me.

This being said yes the only con I am seeing right now is the fit, despite getting a good seal and deep insertion the unit is wiggling a bit when I move a lot. Note that I am quite use to CIEM by now so... I am getting custom eartips made by Custom Art this should fix that. I’d love a custom Solaris though :p

Note that my positive impressions are also relative to my personal preferences in terms of signature although I wouldn’t have guessed I would have enjoyed treble as much as I do with the Solaris. It’s even better than the VE8 in terms of providing excitement. In the category of exciting, engaging signatures the Solaris rank top 3 of anything I have heard along with the VE8 and the Flamenco.

Hard to answer, some smaller ear here had to return the Solaris, others reported being fine physiology is a bit more complex than just pure size but the only way is to try out...

Since I am not a « pro » reviewer and don’t get sample gear I can’t only speak to what I can afford to buy and that’s a bit limited in term of range. I do get the chance to test other sources at meetups though.

My personal experience with the Solaris is that they do scale very well and especially bass wise an amp or powerful DAP is a real plus. On the flip side they are pretty good you don’t need elite DAP or AMPs to get a great performance either.

Any source can drive the Solaris loud enough but higher output impedance gear with skew the signature and lower powered devices won’t get you the same soundstage, dynamics and bass impact.

As for hissing the Solaris is sensitive, for example with the DX120 especially balanced produces quite a bit of hiss. ALO CV5 as well but less than DX120. WM1Z = no hiss. Mojo is great as well in this respect but I don’t like the synergy with the Solaris, you loose a lot of air, mid bass is too boosted and you loose treble magic. Of course other might have very different opinions.

Chill music will be great with the Solaris, it will bring a touch of excitement even to the chillest music :)
Classical is not the Solaris main genre of choice, if you mind the warmer signature, I know it does not prevent me from enjoying classical but most who do will look for a faithful reproduction withtout any coloration.

Have you ever been able to test the Ibasso DX200?
Does the Solaris hiss in any way with the Ibasso?

Dec 12, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #2,274 of 12,035
Dec 12, 2018 at 4:00 PM Post #2,275 of 12,035
Hello. Sorry my English. Im german speaking. What do you think: For orchestral classical you would prefer the andromeda or the solaris? ( Sound stage, separation, timbre, balance ) Andromeda for me for classical ist much better then vega. But Solaris? I like sound who is in balance from bass to treble.
Thanks

Dec 12, 2018 at 5:55 PM Post #2,276 of 12,035
Hello. Sorry my English. Im german speaking. What do you think: For orchestral classical you would prefer the andromeda or the solaris? ( Sound stage, separation, timbre, balance ) Andromeda for me for classical ist much better then vega. But Solaris? I like sound who is in balance from bass to treble.
Thanks
I use the sp1000M dap as source, and that makes anything sound good. I recently bought ( a few days ago) the Andromeda SS, which I love! I listen to A LOT of classical as well as pop, and anything else, and symphonies, keyboards, Bach Organ works, all sound AMAZING!. I have not heard the Solaris, but everything I read says it excels on 3d holographic presentation with pin-point accuracy: this may be better if you are looking for classical reproduction. How the bass is effected with the dynamic driver on the Solaris? I do not know I haven't head it yet. But if you are looking for a 'flatter' response, the Andros may be best, but I doubt you can go wrong either way. However, I wouldn't call the Andros sound signature as 'flat' or reference, rather, AUTHORITATIVE.

Dec 12, 2018 at 8:05 PM Post #2,279 of 12,035
Maybe they could bring out a version which is less bling, with just a polished shell, only make 150 of them, call it limited edition Solaris PS, making it about $150 dollars more than the normal Solaris :grin: (yes I have no idea about the costs involved).

Fixed that for you :smile:

Dec 13, 2018 at 12:56 AM Post #2,280 of 12,035
@Hanesu hi Sir is the shell of solaris bigger compared to Fidue A91 Sirius and is the nozzle longer on solaris as well? TIA
I owned the Fidue A91 and it is not as deep as the Solaris with a much shorter nozzle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back