Campfire - Solaris
Dec 4, 2018 at 6:23 AM Post #1,936 of 12,035
Had a conversation with Ken when these first came out, abs he confirmed the only crossover is between the mids and treble, where the TAEC dual-BA takes over for the highs. Both the DD and midrange BA are firing "full range" apart from that.
Shouldn’t this avoid the “separation “ or slight “disjointed” sound a hybrid can create between the DD and BA?
My ears are not good enough to pick that up, at least I don’t believe them to be

Dec 4, 2018 at 7:30 AM Post #1,937 of 12,035
Shouldn’t this avoid the “separation “ or slight “disjointed” sound a hybrid can create between the DD and BA?
My ears are not good enough to pick that up, at least I don’t believe them to be

It can - don't believe the Zombie by Rhapsodio uses a crossover at all. I'm no sound science guru, but I think NOT using crossovers can also lead to issues with things like comb filtering, however (where identical or competing frequencies from different drivers overlap to and either introduce distortion or cancel out parts of the soundwave), hence why almost all multi-driver designs use them in some form or another.

Personally, I think the Solaris is the best implemented hybrid I've heard in terms of not being able to "feel" what driver is handling each frequency range, but sure someone with more golden ears than me may be able to discern tbe difference somewhere.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2018 at 8:01 AM Post #1,938 of 12,035
It can - don't believe the Zombie by Rhapsodio uses a crossover at all. I'm no sound science guru, but I think NOT using crossovers can also lead to issues with things like comb filtering, however (where identical or competing frequencies from different drivers overlap to and either introduce distortion or cancel out parts of the soundwave), hence why almost all multi-driver designs use them in some form or another.

Personally, I think the Solaris is the best implemented hybrid I've heard in terms of not being able to "feel" what driver is handling each frequency range, but sure someone with more golden ears than me may be able to discern tbe difference somewhere.
Thank you for the excellent discussion. I really appreciate it

Dec 4, 2018 at 10:10 AM Post #1,939 of 12,035
I do have a question for those who have tried a variety of sources. I was wondering what portable sources/smart phones are the best pairings for the Solaris. Im about to get a new smartphone and was thinking the lg v40, but if there is a better pairing i'd like to know. Or if there is a portable DAP under $1000 (that takes flac, and alac) I might get that and hold on to my samsung s8 for a little longer.
I just got a new LG V40 to go along with my Solaris and the pairing is amazing to my ears.I am regularly wowed by the listening experience. Granted the best pair of Iems Ive used or owned before that were the vegas but I am a simple guy and dont like to babysit many things so I run iems straight from my phone.

The LG V30 and V40 have the same Dac but the V40 was tuned by Meridian Audio to give it a more natural/ live performance sound.

Before the V40 I has a Samsung S8+ and the they dont compare in my opinión. Once I demoed my Vegas on someones V40 there was no turning back.

Sorry I dont have a super technical explanation for the sound. But I have seen someone on this Forum say the V40 sound is enough that the ibasso dx200 wasnt necessary anymore.

There is also a Forum about the V40 here is the link

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/lg-v40-thinq.890345/

Dec 4, 2018 at 10:34 AM Post #1,940 of 12,035
Anyone else have issues with the spiral dots accumulating condensation within 30 minutes? I enjoy the sound of them but have to use spinfits instead because of this. I have symbio peels on the way, hopefully the same does not happen.

Dec 4, 2018 at 11:36 AM Post #1,941 of 12,035
I just got a new LG V40 to go along with my Solaris and the pairing is amazing to my ears.I am regularly wowed by the listening experience. Granted the best pair of Iems Ive used or owned before that were the vegas but I am a simple guy and dont like to babysit many things so I run iems straight from my phone.

The LG V30 and V40 have the same Dac but the V40 was tuned by Meridian Audio to give it a more natural/ live performance sound.

Before the V40 I has a Samsung S8+ and the they dont compare in my opinión. Once I demoed my Vegas on someones V40 there was no turning back.

Sorry I dont have a super technical explanation for the sound. But I have seen someone on this Forum say the V40 sound is enough that the ibasso dx200 wasnt necessary anymore.

There is also a Forum about the V40 here is the link

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/lg-v40-thinq.890345/
Hm, I wonder what tuning would produce that sound? Well, I will probably go to verizon and test out the v30 and v40 side by side, with the solaris once I buy them, and choose which one I want

Dec 4, 2018 at 11:43 AM Post #1,942 of 12,035
Anyone else have issues with the spiral dots accumulating condensation within 30 minutes? I enjoy the sound of them but have to use spinfits instead because of this. I have symbio peels on the way, hopefully the same does not happen.

With a proper seal I think you should always get condensation, unless maybe your skin makes contact with the shell on a large enough surface to balance out the heat transfer. The aluminium shell is the main reason I'm not even considering the Solaris. :frowning2:

Dec 4, 2018 at 1:37 PM Post #1,943 of 12,035
With a proper seal I think you should always get condensation, unless maybe your skin makes contact with the shell on a large enough surface to balance out the heat transfer. The aluminium shell is the main reason I'm not even considering the Solaris. :frowning2:

Not sure aluminium is to blame there...even with a custom acrylic shell and a good surface contact, there is a perspiration that actually helps with the seal.
I don't like Aluminium but mainly because isolation suffers from it greatly and it is microphonic when say the outer shell touches the pillows :p

Dec 4, 2018 at 2:57 PM Post #1,944 of 12,035
Not sure aluminium is to blame there...even with a custom acrylic shell and a good surface contact, there is a perspiration that actually helps with the seal.
I don't like Aluminium but mainly because isolation suffers from it greatly and it is microphonic when say the outer shell touches the pillows :p

Aluminium has high heat conductivity, so it will conduct heat quickly out to the environment, making the steel nozzle colder than the ear cavity and thus an ideal condensation surface for the saturated air therein. At least this is how I figure it. So far my experience with the Andro S and Andro Green has supported this explanation. The only thing good about Al is that it's light. But so are Titanium and ceramics.

Dec 4, 2018 at 8:11 PM Post #1,945 of 12,035
Picked up my Solaris today. FYI for Canadian Headfi members that Headphone Bar has them in stock.

Dec 5, 2018 at 12:27 AM Post #1,947 of 12,035
A1103A4D-2BB2-449C-8388-B7F4F6A5643A.jpeg

Another great day of delayed reviews whilst enjoying the Solaris.

I went back to the Spiral Dots today but some of the magic is missing by not using the Symbio Peel Mandarines.

I just got some more peeled Mandarines and am going to try to trim the inner stem and see what happens.

Dec 5, 2018 at 5:41 AM Post #1,948 of 12,035
Can someone recommend a "best" source for the Solaris? My dealer finally got a demo and I'm going to test drive it soon. He has the A&K, Opus and iDSD ranges of products in the shop. I have an S8. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back