Campfire - Solaris
Nov 27, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #1,831 of 12,035
I just ordered the c5v today. I am interested to see how it pairs with the sp1000 and solaris. Hopefully it will work well with this combo and the lcd x too. I have been waiting for ak to make an amp for the sp1000 but it doesn't look like it will happen.

Nov 27, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #1,832 of 12,035
yDDpAC70hOzupODtzaQG2tcfB5sS8K.png

:wink:

I am not the craziest, just busy :p
Not being serious. Humorous, yes. Jealous, absolutely....

Nov 27, 2018 at 1:49 PM Post #1,833 of 12,035
Nov 27, 2018 at 3:48 PM Post #1,836 of 12,035
Think hifiheadphones is your nearest choice, but they're way down on the South Coast
Thanks, that’s not too bad - just over an hour on the train. Have you been down there before?

Nov 27, 2018 at 3:55 PM Post #1,837 of 12,035
Does anyone know if any stores in London or the south of England announced they’ll have demo models to try out?

Thanks, that’s not too bad - just over an hour on the train. Have you been down there before?

Sadly no, I'm a Londoner so not allowed to venture that far South without inoculations. I have however spent some time talking to them on the phone and have purchased a pair of Andromeda from them. Nice helpful and knowledgeable folk, their website is pants though as my browsers keep blocking it for self perpetuating redirects, reckon they're so far South that theit IT Dept. still think the Net is something to do with catching fish...idiot yokels :)

Nov 27, 2018 at 3:57 PM Post #1,838 of 12,035
Sadly no, I'm a Londoner so not allowed to venture that far South without inoculations. I have however spent some time talking to them on the phone and have purchased a pair of Andromeda from them. Nice helpful and knowledgeable folk, their website is pants though as my browsers keep blocking it for self perpetuating redirects, reckon they're so far South that theit IT Dept. still think the Net is something to do with catching fish...idiot yokels :)
Ahhh! Same, but I’ve had my shots. I’ll drop them a line tomorrow and see if they have a pair in get. Their website says awaiting stock.

Nov 27, 2018 at 4:26 PM Post #1,839 of 12,035
Does anyone know if any stores in London or the south of England announced they’ll have demo models to try out?
Hifiheadphones or Audiologica might have them to demo as they're the only two UK stores that'll are selling them, but Hifiheadphones doesn't know when they'll have stock to sell let alone demo. Just drop either of them an e-mail as I've found them both to be very responsive

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2018 at 5:56 PM Post #1,840 of 12,035
Do you like it?
Yeah well that 399$ deal was kind of hard to resist :wink:
Well worth it to get other tubes, I am waiting for a 6BF7 (out of stock at ALO) that I will then send to ALO to be mounted to PCB. Others have mentioned 6021 but since it seems to be a dual triodes variant of 6111 not sure I'll get it. Many swear by 6111 and don't like 6832 so YMMV. My gripe with the 6111 is the same as it is with the Oriolus BA300S, clean reference but not a rich tubey sound to my ears...

Tube rolling is easy too so I encourage to get other tubes :D

Right now 1Z / CV5 with 6832 / Solaris is the best listening experience I have ever had, really great!

I'll have it later this week. I've always wanted tube gear so really looking forward to it plus that was an awesome deal. I'll be using solaris with se100.

Speaking of solaris, my favorite cfa iem thus far. I much enjoyed the andromeda and that was my first 1k iem. Impulsed bought the vega which I then replaced with atlas. Now the solaris. Pretty impressed with the amount of detail and I think there is a great amount of bass. Vocals sound awesome. I like the cable but I am a sucker for braided cables so I'll be looking for a new one soon.

Nov 27, 2018 at 8:03 PM Post #1,842 of 12,035
Do you like it?
Yeah well that 399$ deal was kind of hard to resist :wink:
Well worth it to get other tubes, I am waiting for a 6BF7 (out of stock at ALO) that I will then send to ALO to be mounted to PCB. Others have mentioned 6021 but since it seems to be a dual triodes variant of 6111 not sure I'll get it. Many swear by 6111 and don't like 6832 so YMMV. My gripe with the 6111 is the same as it is with the Oriolus BA300S, clean reference but not a rich tubey sound to my ears...

Tube rolling is easy too so I encourage to get other tubes :D

Right now 1Z / CV5 with 6832 / Solaris is the best listening experience I have ever had, really great!
Just curious why the CV5 vs. the CDM? Have you tried the CDM?
Also, how the heck did you already get your CV5 in Paris? I'm <200miles from Portland and still waiting for my Black Friday deals :)

Nov 27, 2018 at 8:35 PM Post #1,843 of 12,035
Also, how the heck did you already get your CV5 in Paris? I'm <200miles from Portland and still waiting for my Black Friday deals :)
Since it so cheap, the leftover enough for him to buy an airplane ticket and fly over to pick it up in person:ksc75smile:

Nov 27, 2018 at 8:50 PM Post #1,844 of 12,035

I don't have a CV5 and just barely managed to restrain myself from picking one up this weekend, but there are lots of reasons to pick it over the CDM (which I do have), like: CDM runs quite hot, it's not remotely pocketable, and it's less powerful (even in balanced) than the CV5. They really are in very different niches. I do love my CDM though. : )

Nov 28, 2018 at 4:37 AM Post #1,845 of 12,035

I must have been the first or one of the first to order on wednesday very early when I received the newsletter kicking off the black friday before the date (6am here in paris so basically tuesday night in the US) so this explains that I guess.

Why the CV5?
Well for starter, price... can't afford the CDM right now but anyway portability is a factor as well...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back