Campfire - Solaris
Nov 25, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #1,801 of 12,035
Solaris pairs get with the SP1000. Still burning them in and they keep getting better.

IMG_0750.jpg

Nov 25, 2018 at 1:56 PM Post #1,802 of 12,035
Has anyone been able to register their Solaris? It is not showing in the drop down on the warranty registration page.

Nov 25, 2018 at 3:04 PM Post #1,803 of 12,035
Thanks for that, I don't have Solaris but after reading your review was very tempted to try and get hold of the SXC-8 cable for my Andro's then noticed that ALO don't offer 2.5mm trrs termination for this cable. Understandable but GRRrrr :disappointed_relieved:....(I don't do adaptors)
Yes they do, they forgot to add TRRS to the description.

Nov 25, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #1,804 of 12,035
Last edited:
Nov 25, 2018 at 7:04 PM Post #1,805 of 12,035
Loving my Solaris but was annoyed by the memory wire in the stock cables. Successfully performed surgery on them today to completely remove the memory wire and I'm much happier now. Once I cut through the first layer of plastic wrapping I was able to twist and tug on the memory wire until they popped out of the connectors.

If the surgery failed I was going to buy the Atlas cables as they don't come with memory wire.

Nov 26, 2018 at 9:53 PM Post #1,809 of 12,035
Noticed you have a Vega in your signature. How are they compared to the Solaris for EDM?

One hour in and I like the vega better for EDM. It feels naturally bass boosted, more fun. Sometimes my DAC bass boost bleeds a bit and muddies things.

Everything else, Solaris wins and it's not close. I'll update once I have some real time with the Vegas and can do some A/B testing.

Nov 26, 2018 at 9:55 PM Post #1,810 of 12,035
Yeah that is another crazy good deal right now. I'm on the fence between the new Vega plus cables and the b-stock or second hand Atlas to complement my Andros. Any contributions?

I sooo wanted Solaris to be that complement but right now it looks more like an incremental up/sidegrade than a complement.

Cant speak to the Atlas, never heard it. But I'd agree that the Vega/Andro combo is more complementary than Solaris/Andro.

Edit: and I should mention I think the Solaris is most definitely an upgrade to the Andros, not a side grade.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2018 at 12:50 AM Post #1,812 of 12,035
Still can't decide between the Solaris or the CL2. Leaning more towards the Solaris for now as the CL2 seems to have a unpleasant treble spike?
Buy both then sell.

Nov 27, 2018 at 12:56 AM Post #1,813 of 12,035
Still can't decide between the Solaris or the CL2. Leaning more towards the Solaris for now as the CL2 seems to have a unpleasant treble spike?

I don't hear any treble spike, in fact the lower treble is fairly conservatively tuned (one could wish for more sparkle) and the upper treble is not offending either. If you've read my CL2 review the upper mids walk a fine line and there can be some harshness at times. I was the first to mention this but other reviewers did spot this as well, in fact @vrln summed it up better than I did :

vrln said:
As it generally is with headphones with similar midrange tonality, it really depends on what you are listening to: in many albums there are no problems and the tonality may even sound subjectively better than a more neutral approach, but on many albums I found the sound too fatiguing/piercing after a while. Overall this breaks the CL2 as an all rounder for me. I would personally have preferred a more linear midrange (no upper midrange spike) at the expense of less perceived detail. Generally speaking this kind of tuning (at least to my ears) is more of a problem with mainstream genres than audiophile ones though, so it partly depends on what kind of music you listen to the most. Note however that I am probably a lot more sensitive when it comes to midrange: for example I found the Shure SE 846 midrange to be too shouty/edgy as well (not as much, but to an annoying degree). All this being said, there are of course also a lot of people who prefer boosted upper mids, so it all comes down to personal preference.

The resolution on the other hand continued to impress: vocals were often very realistic and when an album is mastered in a way where the upper midrange spike doesn’t offend, the results are often stunning. However due to the dB level difference between lower and higher mids some vocals can sound a bit off/muddled depending on where they hit on the frequency response. This is another downside to the chosen midrange frequency response tuning.

The Solaris is very different than the CL2, it has a bigger soundstage, more bass presence, richer and smoother mids (CL2 is more focused on clarity, not that the Solaris are lacking there) and much more lively treble. The Solaris will be more versatile as virtually genre and any mastering quality will sound great. You'll benefit greatly from better mastered albums but you won't suffer for lesser quality content as you will with the CL2.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2018 at 1:01 AM Post #1,814 of 12,035
I don't hear any treble spike, in fact the lower treble is fairly conservatively tuned (one could wish for more sparkle) and the upper treble is not offending either. If you've read my CL2 review the upper mids walk a fine line and there can be some harshness at times. I was the first to mention this but other reviewers did spot this as well, in fact @vrln summed it up better than I did :

The Solaris is very different than the CL2, it has a bigger soundstage, more bass presence, richer and smoother mids (CL2 is more focused on clarity, not that the Solaris are lacking there) and much more lively treble. The Solaris will be more versatile as virtually genre and any mastering quality will sound great. You'll benefit greatly from better mastered albums but you won't suffer for lesser quality content as you will with the CL2.
CL2 after 350 hours of burn is some of the best bass out there.
You sold your CL2 before the driver had fully burned in :) I think you were at 150 hours.
On some tracks, dare I say it, it is almost vega levels. Almost, but not quite. No fear of blowing out an ear drum here.
And the mid hi harshness also goes away after burn in.
The timbre is so real, instruments sound like they do in real life. At times can swear I am sitting in on private performances in my living room.
After market OCC copper cable required.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2018 at 1:20 AM Post #1,815 of 12,035
Sounds like the Solaris it is then, as I listen to a lot of genres with mixed mastering quality. Appreciate your opinion :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back