Campfire - Solaris
Nov 30, 2018 at 9:20 PM Post #1,862 of 12,035
Do you like it?
Yeah well that 399$ deal was kind of hard to resist :wink:
Well worth it to get other tubes, I am waiting for a 6BF7 (out of stock at ALO) that I will then send to ALO to be mounted to PCB. Others have mentioned 6021 but since it seems to be a dual triodes variant of 6111 not sure I'll get it. Many swear by 6111 and don't like 6832 so YMMV. My gripe with the 6111 is the same as it is with the Oriolus BA300S, clean reference but not a rich tubey sound to my ears...

Tube rolling is easy too so I encourage to get other tubes :D

Right now 1Z / CV5 with 6832 / Solaris is the best listening experience I have ever had, really great!
I just received my c5v sounds great with solaris but are you getting any hiss from this combo? I might need to get an ifi iematch maybe that will calm down the hiss.

Dec 1, 2018 at 12:24 AM Post #1,863 of 12,035
IMG_2205.JPG

Just spent the evening comparing the Campfire Audio Solaris to the 64 Audio U12t.

Before I say anything, I consider the U12t to be the best IEM in 64's current lineup. It has a better Frequency Response Balance than the Tia Forte and it provides a sense of texture and musicality the U18 just can't compete with. U18 and Tia Forte might have better technicalities and resolution(not by much tho), U12t is just the more coherent and complete package. I was in talks with 64 Audio for a custom A12t before the Solaris was announced and I took a gamble when they launched.

64 Audio U12t is good. It's very good but I consider the Solaris to be clearly a step better than U12t. However, it's close, very close. If the Campfire Audio hadn't release the Solaris, I would even have a A12t. I like the U12t, quite a lot.

Let's start with the bass. U12t has a little more bass quantity. Solaris bass extends deeper, much deeper. Bass timbres are totally different. U12t's bass driver does texture incredibly well for a BA driver. I would even say, this one of the top BA bass I have heard. Solaris timbre is totally different because of the dynamic driver. It has that sub-woofer like quality that no BA can ever match and the you get layers upon layers of well textured bass. You can't really beat that with a BA bass setup. It's just totally different playing fields. If are a fan of articulate BA bass, then U12t has one of the best BA bass out there but Solaris just renders the bass more naturally.

Midrange is where the Solaris is significantly better than the U12t. I think with their recent releases, 64 is having a tough time tuning the midrange for a lot of their IEMs for some reason. U12t midrange struck me as somewhat tonally uneven at least compared to Solaris. There was a recession in the lower mids but then it suddenly goes loud and then a slight recession again in female vocals. It's just not very coherent. It's still a great midrange though and I actually prefer the U12t midrange compared to other IEMs like Vega, Andromeda, Tia Forte and U18. Solaris mids sound more coherent by comparison. U12t mids had more body though, Solaris sounds a little lean by comparison. There's quite a bit of sibilance with the U12t and none with the Solaris.

Treble is a toss up. Treble is done well on the U12t. It's both faster and has more weight than the Solaris but not by much. Solaris is actually right up in Speed and Weight but U12t just edges it at both. Solaris is a little more extended though. There was no harshness on both and both are more or less equally transparent. Treble is well done on both actually.

Solaris is quite a bit better at separation and imaging than U12t. Soundstage is more or less equal. U12t might be a touch wider and Solaris a touch deeper.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2018 at 3:14 AM Post #1,864 of 12,035
I just received my CV5 sounds great with solaris but are you getting any hiss from this combo? I might need to get an ifi iematch maybe that will calm down the hiss

Yeah I do get some hiss, it varies upon sources though, WM1Z has much less hiss than the DX120 so basically amping just amplifies the source.
Solaris is sensitive to hiss but it's still quite manageable, YMMV depending on how loud you listen to.

You gain so much dynamics with the headroom that I am willing to take in some hiss :p

Dec 1, 2018 at 3:33 AM Post #1,865 of 12,035
I just received my c5v sounds great with solaris but are you getting any hiss from this combo? I might need to get an ifi iematch maybe that will calm down the hiss.

Yeah I do get some hiss, it varies upon sources though, WM1Z has much less hiss than the DX120 so basically amping just amplifies the source.
Solaris is sensitive to hiss but it's still quite manageable, YMMV depending on how loud you listen to.

You gain so much dynamics with the headroom that I am willing to take in some hiss :p

I find a bit of hiss with the CV5 and DX200/Amp2 pairing - just picked up a Csyin N5iiS so may test that this weekend with my IEMatch toSee if that reduces the issue as I now have the Amp8 permanently installed on the Ibasso.

I do agree the dynamics with the CV5 are superb, though.

Dec 1, 2018 at 6:30 AM Post #1,866 of 12,035

Just spent the evening comparing the Campfire Audio Solaris to the 64 Audio U12t.

Before I say anything, I consider the U12t to be the best IEM in 64's current lineup. It has a better Frequency Response Balance than the Tia Forte and it provides a sense of texture and musicality the U18 just can't compete with. U18 and Tia Forte might have better technicalities and resolution(not by much tho), U12t is just the more coherent and complete package. I was in talks with 64 Audio for a custom A12t before the Solaris was announced and I took a gamble when they launched.

64 Audio U12t is good. It's very good but I consider the Solaris to be clearly a step better than U12t. However, it's close, very close. If the Campfire Audio hadn't release the Solaris, I would even have a A12t. I like the U12t, quite a lot.

Let's start with the bass. U12t has a little more bass quantity. Solaris bass extends deeper, much deeper. Bass timbres are totally different. U12t's bass driver does texture incredibly well for a BA driver. I would even say, this one of the top BA bass I have heard. Solaris timbre is totally different because of the dynamic driver. It has that sub-woofer like quality that no BA can ever match and the you get layers upon layers of well textured bass. You can't really beat that with a BA bass setup. It's just totally different playing fields. If are a fan of articulate BA bass, then U12t has one of the best BA bass out there but Solaris just renders the bass more naturally.

Midrange is where the Solaris is significantly better than the U12t. I think with their recent releases, 64 is having a tough time tuning the midrange for a lot of their IEMs for some reason. U12t midrange struck me as somewhat tonally uneven at least compared to Solaris. There was a recession in the lower mids but then it suddenly goes loud and then a slight recession again in female vocals. It's just not very coherent. It's still a great midrange though and I actually prefer the U12t midrange compared to other IEMs like Vega, Andromeda, Tia Forte and U18. Solaris mids sound more coherent by comparison. U12t mids had more body though, Solaris sounds a little lean by comparison. There's quite a bit of sibilance with the U12t and none with the Solaris.

Treble is a toss up. Treble is done well on the U12t. It's both faster and has more weight than the Solaris but not by much. Solaris is actually right up in Speed and Weight but U12t just edges it at both. Solaris is a little more extended though. There was no harshness on both and both are more or less equally transparent. Treble is well done on both actually.

Solaris is quite a bit better at separation and imaging than U12t. Soundstage is more or less equal. U12t might be a touch wider and Solaris a touch deeper.

Nice comparison. Do you experience any fit issues or "not good enough" sound isolation with Solaris? I consider u12t to be already "big kind of IEMs" and Solaris looks even bigger and I'd expect they're also significantly heavier, due to its housing material. I've read few post about Solaris fit experiences, but I'd be interested in comparison against u12t, because I've had a chance to listen to them for a few hours. Thanks

Dec 1, 2018 at 6:37 AM Post #1,867 of 12,035
Nice comparison. Do you experience any fit issues or "not good enough" sound isolation with Solaris? I consider u12t to be already "big kind of IEMs" and Solaris looks even bigger and I'd expect they're also significantly heavier, due to its housing material. I've read few post about Solaris fit experiences, but I'd be interested in comparison against u12t, because I've had a chance to listen to them for a few hours. Thanks
I have big ears so U12t was actually a little small for me. Solaris sits flush in my ears.

Dec 1, 2018 at 6:49 AM Post #1,868 of 12,035
One for the Blues / soul fans out there ( @davidmolliere ?) - listening to the album "The Door" by Keb' Mo using Cayin N5iiS in balanced (CA superlitz via OKCSC pigtail adapter) and the bass tones and guitar are just melting in my ears.

Supposed to just be listening to one track for my review, pretty much done the whole album with my eyes closed. Didn't even take any notes! :wink: #firstworldproblems

On a related note, not getting any hiss from the N5iiS in either SE or balanced on medium gain. Not quite as refined as the DX200/Amp8, but the difference is pretty small to my ears - think the neutral and detailed sound of the Cayin (along with plenty of driving power) makes an excellent pairing for the Solaris.

Dec 1, 2018 at 7:19 AM Post #1,869 of 12,035
One for the Blues / soul fans out there ( @davidmolliere ?) - listening to the album "The Door" by Keb' Mo using Cayin N5iiS in balanced (CA superlitz via OKCSC pigtail adapter) and the bass tones and guitar are just melting in my ears

Love Keb' Mo, never listened to that older album but now I have to :)

Since I am here and we're talking Blues references... I recommend Doug MacLeod On black and Tan (especially Volume 2) love those 3 albums, a bit hard to find but I managed to get the 3 volumes in flac from 7digital.com

Blues definitely sounds fantastic on the Solaris, guitars have exquisite bite when called for and nuances are conveyed really well... vocals are a treat as well...

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2018 at 9:18 AM Post #1,870 of 12,035
Do people wear the Solaris with the cable over the ears or with cable straight down?

Dec 1, 2018 at 9:24 AM Post #1,871 of 12,035
Do people wear the Solaris with the cable over the ears or with cable straight down?

I wear them with the wire over the ear. In addition to that, I don't mind the memory wire guide and use large ear tips

Dec 1, 2018 at 9:52 AM Post #1,872 of 12,035

How could anyone wear them straight down? I don't see how it would fit, not designed that way... maybe I lack imagination :upside_down:

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2018 at 10:04 AM Post #1,873 of 12,035
so folks as the campfire solaris is becoming a headfi hit how does it compare to empire ears legend x, and other iems such as the rha cl2 which is also become pretty popular recently

Legend X and empire ears in general is an excellent brand imo. They have great fit, great sound, and signatures to fit all of your needs. Legend has beefier low end and is thicker with a more rolled off treble, not by much though but compared to solaris. Solaris is more balanced, more detailed, and has a more entended treble. I think they compliment each other very well. I love them both, and I think you can't go wrong with either one.

Also have the phantom. I don't want to have 3 iem, but each one sounds so awesome and unique I can't decide which one to sell.

Dec 1, 2018 at 10:20 AM Post #1,874 of 12,035
How could anyone wear them straight down? I don't see how it would fit, not designed that way... maybe I lack imagination :upside_down:

"You want to free your mind about a concept of harmony and of music being correct, you can do whatever you want." - Giorgio Moroder :upside_down:

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    177.6 KB · Views: 0
Dec 1, 2018 at 10:59 AM Post #1,875 of 12,035
listening to the album "The Door" by Keb' Mo

Four tracks in and got instant goosebumps with the opening chord with "Come On Back". A cup of coffee and this album is a great way to start the day. :ksc75smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back