Campfire - Solaris
Nov 19, 2018 at 4:19 PM Post #1,683 of 12,035
I compared it to LCD 4 many pages back

Had a browse through your previous posts, you say the LCD-4 is "Just a bit better" than the Solaris?

I was concerned that I'd be missing out on too much by not re-purchasing an LCD-X after it was stolen, but I'm feeling a little more reassured that I'll be happy with just re-purchasing an IEM (as my andro was stolen, too).

Nov 19, 2018 at 4:22 PM Post #1,684 of 12,035
On a separate note, though I'm looking at re-purchasing a DX200, I cannot shake the memory that it was quite bulky to walk around with.

Can anyone recommend a smaller DAP which doesn't exceed, say, £1000 or so?

Nov 19, 2018 at 4:29 PM Post #1,685 of 12,035
Had a browse through your previous posts, you say the LCD-4 is "Just a bit better" than the Solaris?

I was concerned that I'd be missing out on too much by not re-purchasing an LCD-X after it was stolen, but I'm feeling a little more reassured that I'll be happy with just re-purchasing an IEM (as my andro was stolen, too).
How do you get audio gear stolen? :O

@pfurey89 sold his Utopia for Solaris and he doesn't miss them.

In my opinion, sure LCD 4 is a bit better but I am getting 95% of LCD 4 from Solaris (driven from CMA600i) and 90% of that on the go. There's not much to complain about the Solaris really.

Nov 19, 2018 at 4:41 PM Post #1,686 of 12,035
How do you get audio gear stolen? :O

@pfurey89 sold his Utopia for Solaris and he doesn't miss them.

In my opinion, sure LCD 4 is a bit better but I am getting 95% of LCD 4 from Solaris (driven from CMA600i) and 90% of that on the go. There's not much to complain about the Solaris really.

People broke into my home and robbed me of essentially everything. Good times! Hah.

Blimey, that's mad. You wouldn't believe how happy this makes me!

Nov 19, 2018 at 11:46 PM Post #1,688 of 12,035
The Solaris mids seem to be right where they’re supposed to be. Not forward or recessed. That said, on some tracks I can pickup “micro details” on the Vega that I can’t hear on the Solaris but I’m not saying I prefer the Vega’s mids to the Solaris. The Dreams mids are slightly recessed when compared to the Solaris but not by much. I’d honestly say the mids on the Dream are noticeably more detailed, though. They don’t sound metallic to my ears but they are a little thinner than I’d like. The Solaris sounds way more natural than the Vega and the Dream.

Oh, I forgot to mention earlier that I use a Dita Truth cable (silver) and silicone tips on the Vega. The truth cable pairs very well with it. It honestly takes the Vega to another level in my opinion.

I fully agree with you on the Vega and the dream.

The Vega and the silver truth is a dream pairing. I have never heard an IEM improve so much with a cable change. Everything just balances out and opens up so much.

The dream is to my ears without a doubt, hands down the most detailed non electrostatic IEM on the market. The caveat being that it is difficult to drive, but drive them well and they won’t be thin at all.

Now I really hope to have a chance to hear the Solaris soon. All things considered I’m a huge campfire fan. Right now, my three favourite IEMs on hand, are the dream, the fourte and the new noble gengiskhan, and I’m dying to find out how the Solaris compares.

Nov 20, 2018 at 8:30 AM Post #1,691 of 12,035
I can't imagine anyone has, but...any comparisons between Solaris and NCM Bella?

I had the Bella for review a few months back - this is based purely on memory and review notes as I've never heard the two together, but my recollections are that the Bella is slightly "lighter" in tone than the Solaris, with a more sparkly top end. Detail and resolution is high in the Bella, and I remember it a being slightly more micro detailed in the midrange.

Notes are thinner and more crystalline in comparison on the Bella, and the bass is roughly the same in terms of quantity. Quality is won by the Solaris, with superior texture and detail. Overall, the Solaris feels richer and more organic, with a bigger sound (both in stage and instrument size). I had the universal version, and it was a shallow fit - in terms of overall package, the Solaris is notably "higher tier", with much better build and accessories. Bella does have the CIEM option though.

Overall, I'd say the Solaris is the better IEM for me - the Bella is technically excellent and definitely punches above its pricetag in comparison to other similar IEMs I've heard, but the Solaris as an overall listening experience is just on a higher tier. As always, YMMV.

Nov 20, 2018 at 11:36 AM Post #1,692 of 12,035
I happily took my symbios apart. Never liked how much pressure they put on my ear canals. Going to put them on my Andro-S, right now, and see.

EDIT1: Oh my... I think I've finally found a use for my Symbios... after more than a year. Wow.

EDIT2: Holy crap! Andro-S has more texture AND punch. Damn!!!

1000% This! Finally got my Symbio W in today. Getting a seal with the foam was annoying. Instant magic with the Solaris by peeling my MandarinEs! :ksc75smile:

Nov 20, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #1,693 of 12,035
I had the Bella for review a few months back - this is based purely on memory and review notes as I've never heard the two together, but my recollections are that the Bella is slightly "lighter" in tone than the Solaris, with a more sparkly top end. Detail and resolution is high in the Bella, and I remember it a being slightly more micro detailed in the midrange.

Notes are thinner and more crystalline in comparison on the Bella, and the bass is roughly the same in terms of quantity. Quality is won by the Solaris, with superior texture and detail. Overall, the Solaris feels richer and more organic, with a bigger sound (both in stage and instrument size). I had the universal version, and it was a shallow fit - in terms of overall package, the Solaris is notably "higher tier", with much better build and accessories. Bella does have the CIEM option though.

Overall, I'd say the Solaris is the better IEM for me - the Bella is technically excellent and definitely punches above its pricetag in comparison to other similar IEMs I've heard, but the Solaris as an overall listening experience is just on a higher tier. As always, YMMV.

A better response I could not have hoped for - thanks a billion!!!

Nov 20, 2018 at 3:25 PM Post #1,694 of 12,035
Looks like Santa arrived early this year!!
Great combo.
I thought I was going to settle on my LG V40.
Well that didn't work out.....
00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20181120152102556.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back